Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-24-2013, 01:43 PM   #1

Battery life seems reduced with grip?

A few months ago I bought a grip and a Sigma 17-70 OS HSM lens for my K5. The grip is running a genuine battery. Since going to this setup my battery life 'feels' reduced - I expected a doubling but it seems more like I am getting about 3/4 of the shots I'd get with a single battery but with two!

I don't usually turn the on/off switch on the grip to off but I do turn the body off.
Rarely use on body flash
The Sigma is on for maybe 1/2-3/4 of the time (I am aware that the OS uses battery power but it seems excessive!)

Has anyone else seen a apparent decrease in number of shots in going to the grip??

12-24-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Power Drain?

Hello Ben,
I have noticed that if I leave the grip power switch 'on' for an entire shooting session, even though I don't run out the main battery, the grip battery needs a partial charge. I'm guessing the grip power doesn't have a 'sleep' mode or auto-off if it isn't used, like the body. Now I've gotten into the habit of leaving the grip 'off' and only turning it on when I shoot in portrait mode.
Between that and the lens needing power, it could account for part of the shorter battery life (per charge).
Two other things come to mind; One, heavy use of the LCD (chimping, checking histogram, LV, etc) chews up power pretty quickly, I'm told.
The other is that one of the batteries may be past it's prime, it happens. Do you rotate them? That seems to help, you're not always charging (and using) the same one. Just some ideas for you!
Ron
12-24-2013, 02:07 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Try turning of the OS.
12-24-2013, 02:18 PM   #4

Original Poster
I'll give it a go turning the grip off.

Giklab, the OS takes power continuously whether it is on or off. If you put your ear on the lens and turn the camera on/off you can hear the gyros starting up regardless of the on/off position of the switch. I believe this is to hold the floating lens stationary when in use.

12-24-2013, 02:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That's worth noting... the Tamron 70-300 VC I had on my Nikon never did this (believe me, I would have noticed, it sounds like cocking a rifle).
12-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Try turning of the OS.
Would the lens still use the optical stabilisation when the camera has SR?
12-24-2013, 02:59 PM   #7

Original Poster
Another observation.....
I popped the grip battery on the charger and swapped the 17-70 for a FA50/1.4 to go take some pics of the young bloke on his new bike and its showing full battery..
So I swapped the Sigma back on, single battery and it showed 'Full' I popped the flash and battery dropped to orange. I suspect that the Sigma just has a significant current draw so eats batteries. Popping the flash on the FA50 had no change in the battery level.

12-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
Would the lens still use the optical stabilisation when the camera has SR?

The OS works (and works well), If you have the on camera SR on and the lens OS on it also works but occasionally gives a motion blurred image. I usually use one or the other, I like the stabilised viewfinder you get with the OS but if you are swapping lenses then leaving SR on is the better option.
12-24-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have an 18-50 with OS and HSM= battery hog.
Even if you're not using the OS, it needs to run to keep the element aligned.
12-24-2013, 05:03 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Never seen a measurable reduced battery life... but are you walking around a lot with your camera?
For a time, my camera would drain in a matter of hours -- was used to it lasting all day on a single battery (lots of walking, little actual photography).

Turned out the focus button was being pressed against my legs. Never got pressed enough to take a butt-photo, but the lens ended up continually refocusing. I adjusted where the camera rested and the battery was again useful all day.