Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Manfrotto Camera Bags?

Currently, I have this bag from Monoprice:
SLR and Accessories Large Camera Bag - Black - Monoprice.com

I think it's identical, aside from the shell material and other cosmetic differences, to the Case Logic SLRC-203.

I really like it for a number of reasons:
1) It's very compact and wonderfully sized for long days of walking.
2) Holster bag. It's wonderful to toss a mounted camera in and out.
3) The side pockets are very convenient and are great places for the lenses that fit.
4) It looks cheap. No thief is going to think there's anything of value in there.

But alas, it's not perfect. For one, it doesn't fit my DA*300. That's ok, since I don't usually carry that around unless I know I'll use it, but I was considering purchasing a DA*60-250, and this bag won't fit it. In fact, my M 80-200 is about the biggest telephoto that will fit in here. Despite that the bag doesn't quite fit all my needs, it does #1 so well that finding a replacement is agonizing.

What else I don't like about it:
1) Choose one for convenient placement: Filers, Memory cards, random accessories.
2) No real place for things I acquire during the day, like pamphlets or small souvenirs.
3) It looks cheap. It feels strange having such awesome gear in such a cheap bag.
4) Too large to fit into a suitcase without taking up all the room. It has to become my personal item on airplanes.

I am thus looking for a new bag. I am taking a good look at the Manfrotto 20:
Manfrotto Professional 20 Shoulder Bag, Black MB MP-SB-20BB

Anyone have experience with this bag? It seems to be only slightly larger than my Monoprice junker (<3 it despite that!) while fixing all the issues. I am worried about good point #1. I like to avoid returning things if I can, so I'm wondering if anyone has any feedback that can be provided about it.

It would be wonderful for traveling if I could fit a small 11.6" laptop and/or iPad in there. That would be most convenient.

12-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For your needs, you may need to bump up to a back pack or messenger bag. I've been through a few bags and hit jackpot with the Manfrotto Veloce. It holds my K5 w/ grip, da35, da18-135, m50, wg2, sigma flash, SIGMA 170-500!, and......my macbook. It isn't as quick-to-draw as a side mounted bag, but it's comfortable and has a rip open top pouch to grab a ready camera.
If you don't pack it as tight as I do, it would be perfectly sized for travel.
12-29-2013, 09:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks! I'll take a look at it.

I don't want a backpack for security reasons. I do quite a bit of international travel, and it's just too easy for people to steal things out of a backpack. Plus, getting things out of a backpack is a pain.
12-29-2013, 01:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Then you may look at some messenger bags...
The nice thing about my backpack; the straps are attached to the outer part of the bag. If someone were to sneak up behind me, the weight of my gear keeps the bag shut while it's on my back, even if you pulled both zippers down. At times, though, that does make it tougher for me to get to things. Gotta love that Black Rapid strap!