Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2013, 08:10 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lens Plate Screws (Arca-Swiss)

I'm looking for a few lens plate screws. Instead of trying to explain, I thought a picture is worth 1000 words in this case:

Looks like there are certain plates that come with this type of screw. Most of mine have the allen head screws and I would like to change to these.

Does anyone know where I can buy just these screws?

12-31-2013, 08:52 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You are talking about the two silver ones that help hold the lens on the clamp if things are loose? I would take the plate into town and hand it to the guy at the hardware store. My guess is they are metric, but they might not be. Anyway the hardware guy will test the thread and show you what options you have.

Or are you talking about the 1/4" screw that attaches the plate to the lens? If so try here: Markins: Home of Markins Q-Balls >> PB1 Or call these guys: Acratech and ask if they will send you one.
12-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry - I should have specified which screw I was looking for......

The single screw that is used to attach the lens plate to the lens. I need one like is pictured along side the plate that has the little flip-up handle so it can be installed/removed without any tools.
12-31-2013, 11:03 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Easy to find on ebay, amazon, etc. "D-ring plate screw"

12-31-2013, 11:20 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I did some quick looking, but the problem is, I don't really know what you would call that bolt. Its a 3/8-16 bolt. The other smaller standard that is used is the 1/4-20.

I would however take that image, embedded it in an email, indicate that you are looking for that particular 3/8-16 bolt bolt with the clasp or what ever its "official" title is and send it to a number of the head/plate manufacturers. They are all small enough that I am sure that you will get an answer.
12-31-2013, 11:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
That's it! It is easy when I know what terms to search for. I always have a problem with finding stuff like this since I don't know exactly what to call it. I just ordered a couple from ebay.

Just like this connector I've been searching for - after a long time I finally found that this is called a "Lobster Claw Clasp" - who would have known......??

Thank you vonBaloney!
12-31-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

B&H has them...

12-31-2013, 11:35 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
That's it! It is easy when I know what terms to search for. I always have a problem with finding stuff like this since I don't know exactly what to call it. I just ordered a couple from ebay.

Just like this connector I've been searching for - after a long time I finally found that this is called a "Lobster Claw Clasp" - who would have known......??

Thank you vonBaloney!
Of course most places that sell small crap like that (without charging a fortune) often take a month to arrive since they are all from China and HK. I actually need a few special screws right now but can't order them because all the sellers that have them are in China and I'm moving in few weeks and they would probably not make it to me...
12-31-2013, 11:42 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
Now I am going to have to double check the size. I am pretty sure these lens plate screws are 1/4" - I am actually going to use these for my arca-swiss camera plates.

Of course most places that sell small crap like that (without charging a fortune) often take a month to arrive since they are all from China and HK. I actually need a few special screws right now but can't order them because all the sellers that have them are in China and I'm moving in few weeks and they would probably not make it to me...
I noticed the same thing, but when doing my search on eBay my wife suggested I hit the check box for "US only" and found a whole page of US sellers. Mine are due to arrive next Tuesday with free shipping.
12-31-2013, 11:44 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Now I am going to have to double check the size. I am pretty sure these lens plate screws are 1/4" - I am actually going to use these for my arca-swiss camera plates.

I noticed the same thing, but when doing my search on eBay my wife suggested I hit the check box for "US only" and found a whole page of US sellers. Mine are due to arrive next Tuesday with free shipping.
Yes, I do that too -- usually the price jumps up significantly. But right now I need a specialty item only a few foreign sellers have...I just have to wait or go to the hardware store and try to figure something out...
12-31-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just thought I would show what I am trying to accomplish here......

I use the grip on my K-5IIs all the time being I normally have a pretty heavy lens attached - either my DA* 300 or DA* 60-250. I was toying with the idea of getting a compact camera, but thought I had better use what I have. So to make a lighter setup with lighter lenses, I would like to be able to quickly remove and install the grip. Because of weakness in my hands and fingers, I found I really need to have my hand strap installed at all times.

I have dedicated camera plates from Mestos for both the grip and camera body. I bought a second hand strap for this purpose.

In the photo I have the grip installed with my hand strap. Notice the clasp where the hand strap attaches to the camera. I found this one in my junk drawer a while back but needed a second one for the second hand strap. Then I wanted one of these D-ring screws so I can quickly install or remove the camera plate. I can leave the plate on the grip all the time, but need to install/remove the camera plate when switching from gripped to non-gripped.

So now I will be able to go from a gripped camera to non-gripped camera in less than 1 minute providing my fingers are working at the time.......
12-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If you order the 1/4-20 you might as well order a 3/8-16 to 1/4-20 bushing, just in case....
12-31-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
If you order the 1/4-20 you might as well order a 3/8-16 to 1/4-20 bushing, just in case....
I just checked - the tripod mount on my K-5IIs and the tripod feet for my DA* zooms all are 1/4-20.

Thanks for the heads up however - I should have checked this before I got started just to be sure.
01-02-2014, 12:38 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Hi Stan,

FYI.

IMO, the best "no tools needed" 1/4-20 screws I've found are probably the ones supplied with Manfrotto RC-2 plates. The D ring is much wider, so allows much more torque to be applied easily with the fingers, but they're too wide to fit into the recessed slots on many Arca plates.

I don't know if this will help for your application, but also consider that this screw alone could be used to anchor your grip strap to the bottom of the camera body or grip, without any plate. If you don't usually use the grip strap base plate to mount the camera to a head clamp, this could be an alternative.

I copied the pic from B&H listing for the plate since I can't seem to find my old RC2 stuff. . .

Scott
Attached Images

01-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Great suggestion Scott! And as a matter of fact I have that exact plate from when I changed out my 468MG head to Arca Swiss. But as you say, the ring is too big to fit in the recess of the plate. What a shame as that would have worked great plus it wouldn't have cost me anything.

Since I have the Arca-Swiss plate for my body only I am going to use it. I do most of my work on a tripod so I need to have it ready to go for that.

I should have the D-ring screws next week - I will update how they work for me.