Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2014, 10:19 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
It's easy to try a filter and very easy to undo. Just unscrew it. No harm, no foul. So to answer your original question I would say that it is not stupid to buy a cheap filter to experiment with.

01-07-2014, 11:42 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
Last time I was in a night club, was a lot of smoke. Cigarette smoke. Someone told me that this smoke is acid. I don't know. Maybe he is right, maybe not. And a lot of vapor, from the vapor machine. A very good environment for a lens.
The front of your lens is the least of your worries in an acid smoke environment. The front element usually has an outer coating that is made specially resistant to as many pollutants as possible as well as being scratch resistant. The same cannot be said for the inner coatings and the other internals of the camera. The real harm happens inside the camera.

However, having said that I very much suspect that the smoke acidity thing is a myth of sorts. I would be more concerned about the very fine dust nature of smoke particles, which might fog optics inside the camera that are unreachable for cleaning and even contaminate lubricants in the camera.
01-07-2014, 11:45 AM   #18
Veteran Member

You are better off buying a cheap metal lens hood for protection.
I think a filter will affect your image quality... especially in a nightclub...
01-07-2014, 03:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A metal hood is a good idea. And a hand strap.