Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2014, 10:17 AM   #16

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Olympus often includes an underwater scene mode for color correction. Sony may do the same, but I am not sure.

Sony do on the DSC-WX1 I use, can't comment beyond that though. As long as white balance can be set and you can carry a bit of white plastic down with you it's not too much of a problem.

03-12-2014, 10:21 AM   #17
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think there are any out there for the k3 yet. If you badly want to take a dslr underwater x I'd go with a model/brand that the underwater, as that would be more cost-effective.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-12-2014, 10:26 AM   #18

Well the only proper (as in capable of 40m+) cases will be by Equinox who, as I said before, are happy to build custom cases at not much more cost than an Ikelite. But they're really just a big tube and don't look like they'd be as nice or ergonomic to handle. Frustrating.
03-12-2014, 02:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
I got this one, because it is cheap, and all I wanted was a pool toy:
DiCAPac SLR Pack Waterproof Camera Case (WP-S10) - Digital Camera Warehouse Australia
How do you find the quality of the front port? I understood it to be plastic on these bags?

I'm looking for something to go mostly just below the surface in swamps. These setups looked nice: Home - Outex, but more costly then a simple cheap bag (but well below hard cases for deep diving).

03-13-2014, 02:00 AM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
How do you find the quality of the front port? I understood it to be plastic on these bags?

I'm looking for something to go mostly just below the surface in swamps. These setups looked nice: Home - Outex, but more costly then a simple cheap bag (but well below hard cases for deep diving).
Hi Brian,

I don't really have any basis for comparison, but I find the IQ to be quite acceptable in spite of the plastic front. The greatest challenge is to keep the front port exactly parallel to the front of the lens: The "lens-holster" part of the bag is quite long (to accommodate a wider range of lenses, I suppose), and you have to use your left hand to grip the front ring of the bag and press the front port back against the lens when you take a picture. If the front port is not aligned (pressed back) you can get negative effects on IQ.

I bet you can get something better than the diCAPac if you spend a bit more. I wanted better IQ than my W30 could give me, and this bag allows me to take my K-5 swimming, so I am happy. But I don't want to oversell the product!
03-13-2014, 05:42 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MetteHHH Quote
Hi Brian,

I don't really have any basis for comparison, but I find the IQ to be quite acceptable in spite of the plastic front. The greatest challenge is to keep the front port exactly parallel to the front of the lens: The "lens-holster" part of the bag is quite long (to accommodate a wider range of lenses, I suppose), and you have to use your left hand to grip the front ring of the bag and press the front port back against the lens when you take a picture. If the front port is not aligned (pressed back) you can get negative effects on IQ.

I bet you can get something better than the diCAPac if you spend a bit more. I wanted better IQ than my W30 could give me, and this bag allows me to take my K-5 swimming, so I am happy. But I don't want to oversell the product!
Thanks for your input! I had wondered about the alignment of the front port, that may end up frustrating. Ahh, the always tough decision on how much to compromise between price and performance.
03-13-2014, 07:45 AM   #22
Pentaxian

You can also have a look at Home - Outex
it is not "on measure" plastic boxes made for specific cameras (and quite expensive, but more sure), it is neither the cheap "plastic for food" found on ebay, I bought one for my Kx, and plan to use it for my K30 also.
You have to be careful when inserting the camera in it (I put protection on flash shoe also, as the metal here could be dangerous), and test if it is correctly sealed (see if small bubbles are coming, the Kx is not WR! ), but it is a very interesting value for money, in my opinion.

03-21-2014, 12:16 PM   #23
Veteran Member

My "dedicated" underwater camera is a Canon G9 in an Ikelite housing. Good for 100m, even though I don't go that deep. It's already a pretty big system, I don't think I'd want a DSLR underwater rig. The housing is just small enough to squeeze into my medium size Deuter backpack for travel, if I take off the handle/grip, which goes into the luggage.
07-08-2015, 10:59 PM   #24
IEP

Underwater Housing Pentax K3

Hi all,

Thought I would comment, I have a K10D & a K3. I only recently purchased the K3 & have begun searching for a camera housing. I know the Ikelite are now unavailable, so if anyone has managed to come across a solid housing, please let me know. I do have a Dicapack.... I have mixed feelings on it. I have used it with my K10D and got some alright images with it, the water does need to be crystal clear for the images to really be of value and the overly large housing does not really allow you free range of use on the camera, with the most annoying aspect, that the lense cover is large and can get in the way of the lense.... not good if the money shot is half covered by the dicapack.... It is better then nothing, but I woould love to hear from you if you have found a solid & highly functional housing.