Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-11-2014, 04:42 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Service manual for 540 flash?

Just wondering if anyone knows of a service manual for the AF540FGZ flash? It's having a problem where the zoom motor in the flash head doesn't stop sometimes and it sits there grinding away trying to move more.

I'd like to have a go at possibly fixing it.

Thanks.

01-11-2014, 05:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don`t remember seeing a SM for the flash, have read couple posts in the past about DIY repairs.
Here is a link to one such post. Hope it helps.
Jammed AF540FGZ -- How to Fix: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

edit: he does mention Phillips #0, the correct screwdriver is a JIS #0. The Phillips will work in a pinch but it is designed to cam-out, possibly damaging the screw heads.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 01-11-2014 at 05:17 PM.
01-13-2014, 03:46 PM   #3

Does someone know the size of the screws for this flash? I lost one of them, one of those hidden under the rotating head.
01-13-2014, 05:31 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
I got it all apart, it's a pain. It's sort of put together well with nice connectors you can unplug, until you realize unplugging them is useless due to the one or two soldered wires in there.

I couldn't find any broken wires, one was a little pinched but the insulation hadn't been broken. I reassembled and it still has the problem.

This flash seems to have a fairly flimsy design as it appears very easy to break one of the tiny solder joints.

Last edited by sebberry; 01-13-2014 at 05:37 PM.