Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2014, 07:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pentax GPS-01 Question

Hi guys,

I just acquired a second hand GPS-01 unit. It came with a small wobble in the base (where it mounts to the hotshoe). Its a very minor one, but it is there (even when tightened to the camera). Is this normal or should I be concerned? Has anyone else experienced this with their GPS unit? Could this simply be something that needs tightening on the inside? Thanks in advance!!

01-13-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It might just be a bit of wear and tear. Doesn't sound like anything that'll have a practical significance.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It might just be a bit of wear and tear. Doesn't sound like anything that'll have a practical significance.
Thanks Adam! One more question. I dont know if you have experience with the unit, but when you try to calibrate you are supposed to rotate the camera around all 3 of it's axes. However, after I rotate it around 2 of them it says "Calibration Complete" and it doesnt let me "fully" complete it.
01-13-2014, 10:07 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
Thanks Adam! One more question. I dont know if you have experience with the unit, but when you try to calibrate you are supposed to rotate the camera around all 3 of it's axes. However, after I rotate it around 2 of them it says "Calibration Complete" and it doesnt let me "fully" complete it.
I don't think you need to move the camera sequentially along one axis, then the second, then the third. Arbitrary motion is usually what GPS devices ask for.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-14-2014, 06:12 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Pentax/Ricoh has a video on their product homepage demonstrating the calibration procedure:

Calibration | GPS UNIT O-GPS1 | RICOH IMAGING

For simple calibration oxidized is right: Sometimes rotaion around two axis will suffice to achieve calibration. For precise calibration, you'd better expect that you will have to do the sequential three axis rotations several times over.
01-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian

My O-GPS1 has a similar wobble at the hotshoe connector. As for calibration, the basic calibration is very quick and often completes before I think I've moved the camera enough. Precise calibration (always recommended for astrophotography) requires much more movement.
01-15-2014, 04:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Pentax/Ricoh has a video on their product homepage demonstrating the calibration procedure:

Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
My O-GPS1 has a similar wobble at the hotshoe connector. As for calibration, the basic calibration is very quick and often completes before I think I've moved the camera enough. Precise calibration (always recommended for astrophotography) requires much more movement.
Thanks! I guess wobble may be just a regular thing with the unit. I still have to fully test it. It has been foggy and rainy last few days

01-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Is there any speed issue with the rotation, does it calibrate 'better' or timeout with slower camera rotation for example?
The O-GPS1 is on my wish list thanks!
01-15-2014, 03:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
I have one but usually forget to take it with me.
01-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is there any speed issue with the rotation, does it calibrate 'better' or timeout with slower camera rotation for example?
No, it's just dependant on it being able to find GPS signal I think. Usually takes me 5-10s at most wobbling it around every way. Then I do the precise one straight after.
01-15-2014, 04:01 PM   #11
Pentaxian

You an see the recommeded style of movement in the video at the link I gave above:

01-15-2014, 05:51 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
You an see the recommeded style of movement in the video at the link I gave above:

Thanks (again) - that seems like pretty fast movement to me, I just wondered if slower motions had any benefit at all.