Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-13-2014, 07:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member
oxidized's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: USA - Delaware
Photos: Albums
Posts: 435
Pentax GPS-01 Question

Hi guys,

I just acquired a second hand GPS-01 unit. It came with a small wobble in the base (where it mounts to the hotshoe). Its a very minor one, but it is there (even when tightened to the camera). Is this normal or should I be concerned? Has anyone else experienced this with their GPS unit? Could this simply be something that needs tightening on the inside? Thanks in advance!!

01-13-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 50,349
It might just be a bit of wear and tear. Doesn't sound like anything that'll have a practical significance.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-13-2014, 07:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member
oxidized's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: USA - Delaware
Photos: Albums
Posts: 435
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It might just be a bit of wear and tear. Doesn't sound like anything that'll have a practical significance.
Thanks Adam! One more question. I dont know if you have experience with the unit, but when you try to calibrate you are supposed to rotate the camera around all 3 of it's axes. However, after I rotate it around 2 of them it says "Calibration Complete" and it doesnt let me "fully" complete it.
01-13-2014, 10:07 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 50,349
QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
Thanks Adam! One more question. I dont know if you have experience with the unit, but when you try to calibrate you are supposed to rotate the camera around all 3 of it's axes. However, after I rotate it around 2 of them it says "Calibration Complete" and it doesnt let me "fully" complete it.
I don't think you need to move the camera sequentially along one axis, then the second, then the third. Arbitrary motion is usually what GPS devices ask for.


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-14-2014, 06:12 AM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Zealand, Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,516
Pentax/Ricoh has a video on their product homepage demonstrating the calibration procedure:

Calibration | GPS UNIT O-GPS1 | RICOH IMAGING

For simple calibration oxidized is right: Sometimes rotaion around two axis will suffice to achieve calibration. For precise calibration, you'd better expect that you will have to do the sequential three axis rotations several times over.
01-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 4,763
My O-GPS1 has a similar wobble at the hotshoe connector. As for calibration, the basic calibration is very quick and often completes before I think I've moved the camera enough. Precise calibration (always recommended for astrophotography) requires much more movement.
01-15-2014, 04:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member
oxidized's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: USA - Delaware
Photos: Albums
Posts: 435
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
Pentax/Ricoh has a video on their product homepage demonstrating the calibration procedure:

Calibration | GPS UNIT O-GPS1 | RICOH IMAGING
Thank you!

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
My O-GPS1 has a similar wobble at the hotshoe connector. As for calibration, the basic calibration is very quick and often completes before I think I've moved the camera enough. Precise calibration (always recommended for astrophotography) requires much more movement.
Thanks! I guess wobble may be just a regular thing with the unit. I still have to fully test it. It has been foggy and rainy last few days

01-15-2014, 02:03 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jimr-pdx's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: 1hr north of PDX
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,821
Is there any speed issue with the rotation, does it calibrate 'better' or timeout with slower camera rotation for example?
The O-GPS1 is on my wish list thanks!
01-15-2014, 03:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member
p38arover's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Western Sydney, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,084
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
The O-GPS1 is on my wish list thanks!
I have one but usually forget to take it with me.
01-15-2014, 03:37 PM   #10
Veteran Member
Nass's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The British Isles
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,400
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Is there any speed issue with the rotation, does it calibrate 'better' or timeout with slower camera rotation for example?
The O-GPS1 is on my wish list thanks!
No, it's just dependant on it being able to find GPS signal I think. Usually takes me 5-10s at most wobbling it around every way. Then I do the precise one straight after.
01-15-2014, 04:01 PM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Zealand, Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,516
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Is there any speed issue with the rotation, does it calibrate 'better' or timeout with slower camera rotation for example?
The O-GPS1 is on my wish list thanks!
You an see the recommeded style of movement in the video at the link I gave above:

Calibration | GPS UNIT O-GPS1 | RICOH IMAGING
01-15-2014, 05:51 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jimr-pdx's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: 1hr north of PDX
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,821
QuoteOriginally posted by Stone G. Quote
You an see the recommeded style of movement in the video at the link I gave above:

Calibration | GPS UNIT O-GPS1 | RICOH IMAGING
Thanks (again) - that seems like pretty fast movement to me, I just wondered if slower motions had any benefit at all.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
tripod, unit
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax O-GPS1 GPS - Faulty k-5 or GPS Unit? KansasHorizons.com Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 6 01-04-2014 02:34 PM
Pentax K2000 GPS question? Mcid3 Pentax DSLR Discussion 2 02-16-2013 03:47 PM
Pentax O-GPS1 GPS Unit with K-01 i_trax Pentax K-01 2 12-03-2012 06:49 AM
GPS for K-01 Photodana Pentax K-01 5 04-01-2012 09:19 AM
GPS question and recommendation Newmoon Pentax Medium Format 3 03-28-2012 10:35 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:21 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top