Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2008, 04:41 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
battery pack for sunpak 383 super

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

where can i find this???
would you recommend to buy the pack??
i hate waiting its ready time...
any other suggestions???
one more, could i use the same pack with any other flash, for example pentax 540??
thanx

04-11-2008, 07:37 AM   #2

The Sunpak TR-PAKII is discontinued, so if that's the one you're looking for, Ebay or Craigslist might be your only options.

Alternatives are Quantum Turbo batteries:
Quantum Instruments - Turbo

and Lumedyne HV Cyclers:
Welcome to Lumedyne.Com

Both of these would connect to the 383 Super with a Quantum CS4 cable. As for using these with a 540FGZ, neither manufacturer lists it as compatible, but if the AC connector on the 540FGZ is the same as the 500FTZ, then you could use a Quantum CN3 cable, but it would be best to contact Quantum, Lumedyne and Pentax to make sure.
04-11-2008, 08:05 AM   #3
hll

Original Poster
thank you!!!
hey, give me something cheap )))
Lumedyne | Mini Battery Module with PEPI | BSML | B&H Photo Video
Lumedyne HV SuperCycler Pack with Dual Connector is the other one (189 dolar at bh)
i found sunpak battery pack on ebay, i don't know how much to pay
Sunpak TR-Pak 2 Battery and wall charger - eBay (item 170208680081 end time Apr-14-08 01:42:32 PDT)
i need something universal ok, i can buy cables, that's not problem... but i should use it both with sunpak and pentax af540...
thanks a lot
04-11-2008, 09:41 AM   #4

The Lumedyne Mini battery you linked to would need to be combined with a Supercycler to work with your Sunpak (or any other flash you might buy). That battery is part of Lumedynes modular flash system, and the weak point is how the modules fit together, so I'd recommend against it. The HV cyclers are the battery and rapid charging circuit in one package, very similar in concept to Quantum Turbo batteries, but a slightly different design. I've used both the Quantum Turbo system, and Lumedyne Mini battery/Supercycler combo, and I much prefer the Quantum system. I'm not aware of any "cheap" external battery system that will give you full power recycling in 1 sec.

I have no experience with the Sunpak TR-PAKII, and have no idea what one might be worth, or if it can be made to work with other flash brands.

Last edited by Groundloop; 04-11-2008 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Added information
04-11-2008, 02:38 PM   #5
D W
Veteran Member

Most used triII packs would need to be re-celled, last new ones were made over 7 yrs ago.
It is design for Sunpak but you can modify it for others iff you know what you are doing or your life insurance is paid up. High voltage discharge circuits are not to be played with.

Quantum Turbos or Lumedyne cyclers(kits) would be your best bet. I have no problem using the CS3 from the 500 with my 540.

Be careful when your are firing off rapid burst at full power, the heat buildup is known to MELT the flash. If your photo income depends on geting rapid fire flash shots you should be looking into the Quantum t/X or Lumedyne sytems which are design for heavier duty cycle like this.
04-12-2008, 01:42 AM   #6
hll

Original Poster
thank you all for your help!!!
actually i don't need a heavy duty system.
recycle time 1.5 is ok, even 2 secs is ok for me.
battery duration (with sunpak 383) would be enough if it provides 100 full power shots....
any suggestions ???
thank you very much???