Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
01-16-2014, 05:04 PM   #1

Why are Hoya filters so difficult to clean?

I didn't believe how difficult Hoya filters are to clean before trying, I though about ditching it and buying a new one LOL. I had best results with a hama cleaning liquid and following their instructions HOYA | The Difference is Clear

I'm not 100% satisfied with the results, but I'm a bit perfectionist

01-16-2014, 07:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It is the coating on the glass. In my opinion Hoya is terrible. I had some of their filters from like 20 years ago and they were trash. I would personally ditch them and go with TIFFEN if you're on a budget, but if you don't mind spending a little money for a good filter, I suggest B+W. IMO B+W CANNOT be beat in terms of quality.
01-16-2014, 08:00 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
It is the coating on the glass. In my opinion Hoya is terrible. I had some of their filters from like 20 years ago and they were trash. I would personally ditch them and go with TIFFEN if you're on a budget, but if you don't mind spending a little money for a good filter, I suggest B+W. IMO B+W CANNOT be beat in terms of quality.
I'm seriously thinking on moving to another brand, this thing is a pain. Thanks for the tip, I will read more about the Tiffen, I've been hearing good things about B+W and Heliopans
01-16-2014, 08:13 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't know how Tiffen is anymore, they use to be good, but I haven't used one for years now. Never used Heliopans.

IMO B+W Is really worth it, you can spit on them, get them all covered in fingerprints and wipe it all off with a T-shirt. I use the MRC 010m filters (Made in Germany too)

01-16-2014, 08:24 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bcrary3 Quote
I don't know how Tiffen is anymore, they use to be good, but I haven't used one for years now. Never used Heliopans.

IMO B+W Is really worth it, you can spit on them, get them all covered in fingerprints and wipe it all off with a T-shirt. I use the MRC 010m filters (Made in Germany too)
that B+W must be great for shooting on the windy coast. There is also Cokin, well-known for their ND filters, they have a new line of products called Harmonie, but I have no idea how they perform.

It's time to do some research
01-16-2014, 09:04 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Again, I really like B+W, the only major downside is they are much spendier. I mean, for any filter I would go with them, but I guess it really depend on what you're looking for, and what your budget is. If it is a UV filter, B+W is nice, but not necessarily what you need to use. Tiffen would work fine, IDK about Heliopan. And I haven't really used Cokin filters much.
01-16-2014, 09:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've got all B+W MRC and a couple of the Kaesamann(sp?) versions - CPL only. I don't use UV or clear filters.
Haven't had any issues with cleaning off dust, salt or finger marks.

Friends who have the Hoya Pro1D type say they are a real mongrel to clean off, especially fingerprints.
Hoya HD are supposed to be the pick of the Hoya line for optical performance, toughness and cleaning.

01-16-2014, 09:12 PM   #8

Original Poster
thanks guys!, I'll take a look at B+W

by the way, my Hoya filter is the clear Pro1 Digital
01-17-2014, 10:30 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
What are you having trouble cleaning off? Even with the Pentax SMC lenses I found that water, especially water from a river or something especially with lots of minerals dissolved in it will leave spots that no cleaner will touch (half the cleaners leave spots too if not dried), but you can wipe the water spots right off with more water. I'm not sure what else acts the same. B&W may just be a smoother surface so the stuff can't stick then.
I have all Hoya HMC stuff and never really had issues.
01-17-2014, 10:34 AM   #10
Veteran Member

What's your cleaning technique?
Never had problems cleaning off any filter brand or lenses.
01-17-2014, 03:52 PM   #11
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by steve1307 Quote
real mongrel to clean off
That's a new technical term I'm not familiar with.
01-17-2014, 08:11 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lokusart Quote
I didn't believe how difficult Hoya filters are to clean before trying, I though about ditching it and buying a new one LOL. I had best results with a hama cleaning liquid and following their instructions HOYA | The Difference is Clear

I'm not 100% satisfied with the results, but I'm a bit perfectionist
I have trouble cleaning every lens and filter I have. I can get them basically clean, but then I take them out in the bright sun and hold them so they reflect the sun and there's still some haze on all or part of the filter.

My only complaint about hoya specifically is that I have a hoya mc filter labeled as such that doesn't actually appear to be mc. I have three of the same exact model in different sizes and two are obviously mc and the other one not. The point is that within each brand, there are a variety of filter models - maybe even more than labels suggest. So it's probably not accurate to make blanket statements like "hoya filters are difficult to clean."
01-18-2014, 10:04 AM   #13

Original Poster
with my Pentax glass and my Canon camera, I have no problems at all. I only had the issue with the hoya filter. I use microfibers, optic paper and cleaning glass liquid. I cleaned it now the way I like it, I think it's now cleaner than new, but it took me some time
01-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I really like Marumi filters. I encountered them by random chance when I was in Japan. I decided to pick up a polarizer and being a camera n00b at the time, I didn't know what was what. I ended up buying a Marumi because it wasn't the cheapest nor the most expensive and was pleasantly surprised at the result.

Never had a problem cleaning them. If you're looking to spend less than B+W, you might like them too.
01-20-2014, 06:20 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
I really like Marumi filters. I encountered them by random chance when I was in Japan. I decided to pick up a polarizer and being a camera n00b at the time, I didn't know what was what. I ended up buying a Marumi because it wasn't the cheapest nor the most expensive and was pleasantly surprised at the result.

Never had a problem cleaning them. If you're looking to spend less than B+W, you might like them too.
thanks! I'll take a look