Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2014, 10:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why all the love for the F remote and none for the RC1

Sound off?

I see the recommended remote being the F. I always hear people recommend the F.

Well... I bought the O-RC1 because at the time it was cheaper (they are both about equal in price now) and because it promised more features.

Not only is the O-RC1 weather proof (I would go so far as water proof as mine has gone through the washing machine numerous times) but it also allows for you to trigger autofoucs via the function button. Yes, this means you can setup your group photo that your a part of, tell the camera to refocus, and then take the shot.

Seems like a no brainier that there should be more love for this remote.

just a Saturday morning random thought.

01-18-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Timely topic! I was just going to look into a replacement for the F Remote. I've had mine for several years now; it had worked quite well but now it seems that the range is very limited - like maybe 3 or 4 feet! Supposedly the battery in the F Remote is good for thousands of activations. I've probably only used mine a couple of hundred times, if that... unless the camera has something to do with it, too? I only noticed the problem since I've been using the K5ii, although admittedly my use of the remote always has been rather infrequent. So maybe it's time for an O-RC1, or is there even another unit that people recommend?
01-18-2014, 11:37 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My tripod isn't the most stable and I basically wanted a quick and easy shuttle release cable without the cable. The placement of the single IR receiver on a K-30 makes this remote less than ideal for this purpose, and my big fingers tend to block the transmitter bulb as well, so I won't rave about it. On the other hand, if you make sure your hand is out of the frame, it works well for including yourself in group portraits. In hindsight, if there was a higher-powered version that wasn't so dependent on having a clear line of sight to the receiver, so you could operate it behind someone's back or from the rear of the camera, that would be the way to go.
01-18-2014, 02:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

My big tripod has a cheap Chinese wired remote taped to it.

Plug it in and no menus needed for the 2 second delay. I have the O-RC1 but rarely use it as I don't do selfies.

01-18-2014, 08:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
My tripod isn't the most stable and I basically wanted a quick and easy shuttle release cable without the cable. The placement of the single IR receiver on a K-30 makes this remote less than ideal for this purpose, and my big fingers tend to block the transmitter bulb as well, so I won't rave about it. On the other hand, if you make sure your hand is out of the frame, it works well for including yourself in group portraits. In hindsight, if there was a higher-powered version that wasn't so dependent on having a clear line of sight to the receiver, so you could operate it behind someone's back or from the rear of the camera, that would be the way to go.
a wired remote would be ideal then. the ORC1 and the F are both reliant on line of sight.
01-19-2014, 08:22 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I think the ORC1 was mostly meant for the non-DSLR Pentax cameras? So it wasn't marketed for DSLRs. Just like the FA lenses often aren't mentioned in DSLR brochures because they are "for film." But if it works it works
01-19-2014, 07:40 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You can auto focus with the old F remote too… if the camera is set to AF on remote shutter release. In fact, this is the default setting.
01-19-2014, 08:47 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The O-RC1 does not fit in a K-20D grip.

01-20-2014, 12:57 PM - 1 Like   #9

Photos: Albums
I have a Pentax F remote. I've had it for years; it has always performed flawlessly. BUT, I found it's greatest weakness recently, one I hadn't confronted or even realized existed. So I wanted to take a shot of my family; I found a great place for it. 2 grandparents, 4 kids, my wife, and I. I set up my tripod and camera, frame the shot. For great composition, I'm across the road, about 30 feet from where they are. No problem as I'm not in the first pics, so I trigger the camera with the remote on a delay, but I'm standing 12" from the camera, so I'm right there.

So time for me to get into the shot. I take my F remote and go over to the spot. F remote won't trigger from 30'. So I have to change lenses, move the camera to within 10', recompose, and now the composition is not so great. In fact, I hate it. I get the shot, it looks good, but the background from 30' is definitely more pleasing than from 10'. So now I'm on the search for a remote that works from a longer distance.

I search and search, then on ebay I find the RW-221 Wireless remote, with the E3 end piece. Order it. It comes in. It plugs into the remote pin on my k-5ii. I test it, and it works flawlessly from nearly 100'. Great remote and I highly recommend it. Find it on ebay.