Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-20-2014, 06:19 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Need a new bag

I need a hiking bag/backpack for my wife that will accommodate a K-5 with a 16-50 DA* and a 50-135 DA*.

The 16-50 will probably be on the camera most of the time, with the 50-135 mounted as needed.

Some additional storage for other things needed on the hike (food, water, etc) would be a plus.

Any recommendations?

Thanks

01-20-2014, 06:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
What you prefer, shoulder bags aka messenger or back packs?
01-20-2014, 06:50 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by i83N Quote
What you prefer, shoulder bags aka messenger or back packs?
I'm thinking a backpack here. We've got a trip coming up with a few moderate to strenuous day hikes planned.
01-20-2014, 06:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

whats your budget?

01-20-2014, 07:04 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Big Bag?

Hello Don,
Here's a large-lens bag I can recommend, the LowePro Pro Runner 200 AW. For about $70 USD, it's become my most-used 'big bag' and has a great fit and balance when loaded down. Lowepro Pro Runner 200 AW Backpack (Black) LP36122-PWW B&H Photo
It will easily hold my old, M/F Tokina 80-200 f/2.8 and hood (both really oversized by modern standards), K-5 with grip and DA 16-45mm attached, another body and a few more small lenses. If you don't take as many lenses, there's plenty of room for non-photography gear. There's a pull-out rain cover and stretchy-holders on each side for water bottles. It also includes a waist strap for more comfortable hiking, too.
A good, quality hiking bag that can hold quite a bit of gear!
Ron
01-20-2014, 08:40 AM   #6

I'm really liking the look of the Lowepro Flipside bags as they seem to have some unique features so worth you taking a look I think. Lots of reviews on youtube for them as well.
01-20-2014, 09:17 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have the Lowepro Photo Traveler 150. It's fairly compact , about 12" x 9" but will hold your gear. Not a lot of extra room for food, but beef jerky, granola bars, etc. would fit in the zippered pockets just fine. It was about $40. I just like the smaller size of it.
Lowepro Photo Traveler 150 Backpack (Mica) LP36413-PWW B&H Photo

Although after looking at the Lowepro 200 mentioned above, It does look more designed for a long hike.

01-20-2014, 10:19 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I am doing away with my Lower Pro 200 AW for not enough space for my needs and got this backpack on sale from adorama
Sunpak Airbak Medium Focus Backpack - Black SP-AIRBAK-01

Check out this video

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 01-20-2014 at 10:35 AM.
01-20-2014, 10:44 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a love/hate relationship with Lowepro Photo Sport Sling 100 AW (Black) LP36351-PAM B&H Photo I like the smaller size, and in many situations, I just want to carry it, not put it on my back. If I'm cycling or hiking, it is possible to strap it across your chest, so it doesn't move around. What I don't like is the side door access, there is a risk of your camera or the extra lens falling out. Another consideration is that a woman might not like have a strap crossing her chest. Other than that, it's an excellent match to your requirements, and it is surprising how much extra stuff goes in the top. It worked great for me on a trip to Panama.
01-20-2014, 10:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow! That's like a magic trick. He just fit all the junk on my desk into that little bookbag.

For the wife, don't compromise on price. You would hear about it later. Get her whatever she wants. And for you, the North Face Terra 65 and a donkey with saddlebags. And a LandRover.
01-20-2014, 11:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Alternately, have her go and pick out a backpack she likes that has enough room and buy some of the higher quality inserts.

The vast majority of backpacks are designed for men and do not work particularly well with either a) boobs or b) smaller waist and lower center of gravity or c) boobs. A poorly fitting pack 2 miles down a trail is miserable and a good recipe for her not wanting to ever go back. Some time spent at an outfitter place with a wide range of adjustable styles can make all the difference. A "women's" pack may not fit her best (and she might not want pink either) -- you just have to go try them. With weight in the pack; every empty pack is fairly comfortable.
01-20-2014, 12:09 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm considering changing my name from frogoutofwater to Goldilocks, because that's how I feel after shopping endlessly for camera bags. (I'll admit it. The shopping part was fun.) I have ended up with several bags suitable for different purposes, and the one I like best for hiking and similar activities is the LowePro Photo Sport 200.

Photo Sport 200 AW Camera bags, backpacks and rolling cases

The main features I like about it (and that I think would appeal to your wife) are:

- Light weight. Many similar bags I looked at were heavy. Many bags that a man wouldn't think twice about using are too heavy for me once I've added gear. This was one of the lightest (2.86 pounds) that still had the features I was looking for.
- Fits me comfortably - I'm 5'7". I have a bad back and the weight seems nicely distributed in this bag - some bags I tried stuck out too much in the back, which made me feel wobbly. This has waist straps as well. I can carry a fair bit of weight and the bag doesn't bother my lower back, shoulders or neck. The straps are nicely padded.
- There is a decently sized top compartment (for snacks, sweater, sunglasses, a few camera accessories etc) and enough room in the camera section to carry my K-3 with one long-ish lens and a few small to medium-sized lenses. There is a cinch strap that tightens around your gear before you close the hatch, increasing security. I think the bag wouldn't fit a really long zoom or a really long, fast lens though (I can fit the 18-135 and the 55-300, plus a couple of small primes, though).
- There is a tablet pouch in the back.
- It has a built-in raincover and some straps for carrying a tripod or other stuff.
- I like the neutral dark grey colour.
- In addition to sporty activities, it makes a good carry-on backpack for travel (although it looks very sporty).

A couple of things I don't like. It would be great to have a small organizer-type pocket at the top of the bag - I find that when I put stuff in the top, it slides down to the bottom and it's hard to find. There is a small pouch on the very top of the bag, as well as an open pouch on the front, but those aren't ideal for things like phones. I also wish the straps were the same colour as the bag - the light colour makes the bag look sportier and less sleek.
01-20-2014, 12:30 PM   #13

I have a Clik-Elite Pro Body Sport that I love, LOVE. Probody Sport | Backpacks, Outdoor Series | Clik Elite

It's unique feature is the ability to use a water bladder. I used it at Walt Disney World last summer, in August. The bladder lasted all day. My camera stayed dry. The bag held my K-5ii, an 18-135, a flash, a DA 40mm, and an A 50, plus extra battery and sdhc cards and such. We stuffed tons of snacks into the top of the bag: there were 8 of us; we spent 10-12-16 hours in the park everyday, and it held all our snacks. And it was comfortable all day. You can search my review on this forum.
01-20-2014, 02:21 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Consider the Canon 200EG backpack. It lacks some conveniences found on more expensive backpacks but is a great bargain. It's large enough to hold my 16-50 and Sigma 50-500 lenses with 2 attached bodies, plus a few primes. 2 large interior pockets for extra batteries, lenspen, O-GPS1, and other accessories. 1 large outer pocket plus 2 small side pouches for food and water. Webbing can stow a jacket or other bulky items.

Note that I just got the backpack this winter and haven't formed a strong opinion on how comfortable it is. The horizontal chest and waist straps work to keep the bag from shifting. The waist strap is short - apparently made for stereotypically thin Japanese instead of fatter Americans - and needs full extension to fasten around my 34" waist. Larger people may need an extension to fasten the waist strap.

I didn't like the Canon logo on the back. I'm not anti-Canon but don't want to advertise there's camera equipment inside. I removed the logo via some warranty-voiding minor surgery. Without the logo it looks like an ordinary cheap backpack filled with books or whatever. Yes, it's still wise to be wary of theft but "junky backpack" is less risky than "expensive camera bag".

The 200EG is a pretty standard item and might be at your local camera dealer. Call ahead to confirm availability then make a trip with your wife to try it on. It's such an inexpensive bag that even with local dealer markup it should still be under $50 USD.
01-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tele_pathic Quote
I have a Clik-Elite Pro Body Sport that I love, LOVE. Probody Sport | Backpacks, Outdoor Series | Clik Elite

It's unique feature is the ability to use a water bladder. I used it at Walt Disney World last summer, in August. The bladder lasted all day. My camera stayed dry. The bag held my K-5ii, an 18-135, a flash, a DA 40mm, and an A 50, plus extra battery and sdhc cards and such. We stuffed tons of snacks into the top of the bag: there were 8 of us; we spent 10-12-16 hours in the park everyday, and it held all our snacks. And it was comfortable all day. You can search my review on this forum.
I was checking out Clik Elite's website - the 2014 Cloudscape looks really nice. Any idea how much it weighs?