Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2014, 07:12 PM   #1

How different between Sirui T-025X and Dolica ZX600B103

I just read this year's recommendation and I found Sirui from that list.
After that I was browsing Amazon, B&H and other website, I found Dolica ZX600B103 from Costco.
How different are they? and Where's that $100 different?

Sirui T-025X = Sirui T-025X 52" Carbon Fiber Tripod with C-10X Ball Head & Case
Dolica ZX600B103 = Dolica ZX600B103 Proline 60-inch Carbon Fiber Tripod with Ball Head and Carry Bag

01-21-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

One weighs 1.5 pounds (Surui) and the other 3.5 pounds (Dolica).

I got the Surui for Christmas and it's great.
01-21-2014, 08:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
One weighs 1.5 pounds (Surui) and the other 3.5 pounds (Dolica).

I got the Surui for Christmas and it's great.
That's so cool, I hope I have your family. Haha
01-22-2014, 12:52 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This should answer every single question you could possibly have about the Sirui T-025x

Sirui T-025x Travel Tripod In-Depth Review

-Heie

01-22-2014, 07:37 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
This should answer every single question you could possibly have about the Sirui T-025x

Sirui T-025x Travel Tripod In-Depth Review

-Heie
Thanks Heie, I will take a look your link to have a In-depth Understanding of this Sirui.
The money can't save...
01-22-2014, 12:06 PM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tianfeiwei Quote
Thanks Heie, I will take a look your link to have a In-depth Understanding of this Sirui.
The money can't save...
I bought the Dolica CX600B502D/S from Costco for $200 a few months ago and really like it. I got it before I read Heie's excellent review though. At 3 lbs, it's not particularly heavy, but compared to the Sirui T-025x, the latter may be the way to go. The ZX600B103 would be slightly heavier than what I have (+0.5 lb.), but otherwise I'd assume they'd be pretty similar. Unless you really think that extra 12" of height is going to make a big difference, or you want to save money, I'd go with the Sirui because either way it sounds like you'll be using this as a travel or very portable tripod. That being the case, you're unlikely to need a full size tripod anyways, so the lighter the better I'd say. Let me know if you have any questions that you think I could be of help. I'm just starting out so I don't have much of a reference to compare.
01-22-2014, 10:44 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BabyTeaLeaf Quote
I bought the Dolica CX600B502D/S from Costco for $200 a few months ago and really like it. I got it before I read Heie's excellent review though. At 3 lbs, it's not particularly heavy, but compared to the Sirui T-025x, the latter may be the way to go. The ZX600B103 would be slightly heavier than what I have (+0.5 lb.), but otherwise I'd assume they'd be pretty similar. Unless you really think that extra 12" of height is going to make a big difference, or you want to save money, I'd go with the Sirui because either way it sounds like you'll be using this as a travel or very portable tripod. That being the case, you're unlikely to need a full size tripod anyways, so the lighter the better I'd say. Let me know if you have any questions that you think I could be of help. I'm just starting out so I don't have much of a reference to compare.
Thank so much for your feedback about the two tripod compassion, and I also found another one from Costco. It marked even cheaper than that ZX600B103 and it's weight lesser but load a little bit less than ZX600B103, so from your experience of CX600B502D/S, can you tell the different of ZX600B103 and TX570B150DS? From numbers, I like TX570B150DS (which marked cheaper) better.

01-22-2014, 10:59 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Just one quick piece of advice. With tripods, buy the best (not necessarily most expensive, but they are often tied) tripod you can afford. If $200 is your limit, then I'd go for the T-025x at $35 more.

Having a GREAT tripod is something you buy once, and then forget about ever having to buy again. Buy a 'cheapie' and you set yourself up to replace it every few years (or sooner), which in the long run is more expensive than just buying the right one the right time.

I'm not saying the T-025x is the right one for you, but if you are considering it amongst some similarly priced ones, focus on the features, not the small difference in price. If you budget was only $50 or $75, then of course, something like the T-025x wouldn't be a reasonable recommendation. When I buy tripods, it's like a 2 month process because I am checking the features between every single tripod I can find, and narrowing down what I can afford with the features I find most important. But, I have the very best tripod within my means, not the most affordable, if that makes sense.

I just looked at it, and it's over TWICE the length folded. THAT'S HUGE! There's the price difference right there - same load capacity, half the size and weight. Don't skimp on a tripod, and first looks at the Dolica, the T-025x would be the way to go, as you'll have it for 5+ years (in which case it's what? $50 a year?)

-Heie
01-22-2014, 11:10 PM   #9

Original Poster
Just one quick piece of advice. With tripods, buy the best (not necessarily most expensive, but they are often tied) tripod you can afford. If $200 is your limit, then I'd go for the T-025x at $35 more.

Having a GREAT tripod is something you buy once, and then forget about ever having to buy again. Buy a 'cheapie' and you set yourself up to replace it every few years (or sooner), which in the long run is more expensive than just buying the right one the right time.

I'm not saying the T-025x is the right one for you, but if you are considering it amongst some similarly priced ones, focus on the features, not the small difference in price. If you budget was only $50 or $75, then of course, something like the T-025x wouldn't be a reasonable recommendation. When I buy tripods, it's like a 2 month process because I am checking the features between every single tripod I can find, and narrowing down what I can afford with the features I find most important. But, I have the very best tripod within my means, not the most affordable, if that makes sense.

I just looked at it, and it's over TWICE the length folded. THAT'S HUGE! There's the price difference right there - same load capacity, half the size and weight. Don't skimp on a tripod, and first looks at the Dolica, the T-025x would be the way to go, as you'll have it for 5+ years (in which case it's what? $50 a year?)

-Heie
Thanks a lot. That's very helpful. I am really like T-025x, but when I checked the feedback from B&H and Amazon, a lot of people says it's not that stable, so I just wonder if it really is a problem. The T-025x is the best for traveling, but there might have some wind flow and I am just concern that point.
From Quick review / comparison of Sirui T-025 and Sirui T-1205X: Accessories Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review, the author recommend the T-1205X, which is the sibling of T-025x, so as you are the owner of T-025x, what do you think the issue of unstable and its sibling T-1205X?
01-22-2014, 11:25 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Did you read the review? If not, let me point you directly here:

Sirui T-025x Travel Tripod Review - Overall Tripod Stability - PentaxForums.com

That's a stability test at macro magnifications using a laser pointer.

and

Sirui T-025x Travel Tripod Review - Real World Usage - PentaxForums.com

That will have images taken with the tripod, some super long exposures that resulted in tack sharp images (30 seconds long a few of them!)

The T-1205x is a bit bigger, and naturally a bit more stable, but for me, I choose the T-025x because it's smaller, and if I really need stability, I hang my camera bag underneath it using the camera bag hook under the center column. ROCK solid then.

I can't speak about the T-1205x, but my experience has been 100% satisfied with the T-025x. In fact, unless I'm using super tele photo or am shooting in my (very very small) studio at home, I only bring the T-025x. The bigger tripod is left at home 100% of the time now. You have to decide which compromise you are happier with - a bit more stability, or compactness? The latter you can't change no matter what you do, but with some minor tweaking (i.e. hanging something from the weight hook), you can add stability. At least that's my philosophy. Your priorities might be different.

-Heie
01-23-2014, 03:18 PM   #11

Photos: Albums
I would heed Heie's advice. As they say, "the poor man pays twice." I too believe you should get the best tripod you can within your budget. Having said that, I don't think there's any harm in trying out the Dolica TX model at Costco (the smaller one) if you think it'll suit your needs. From the specs it appears similar to the Sirui. I can't remember if this model was around when I made my purchase. Anyhow, there's pretty low risk ordering from Costco. I've been a loyal customer for years and they have a great return policy if you don't like it -- you can just bring it back to your local store, no need to pay shipping to return. Other than time, I don't think there's much to lose. Again, I don't have experience with other tripods to compare mine to, but I've been impressed by the build on mine. Hope this helps and let us know what happens!

QuoteOriginally posted by tianfeiwei Quote
Thank so much for your feedback about the two tripod compassion, and I also found another one from Costco. It marked even cheaper than that ZX600B103 and it's weight lesser but load a little bit less than ZX600B103, so from your experience of CX600B502D/S, can you tell the different of ZX600B103 and TX570B150DS? From numbers, I like TX570B150DS (which marked cheaper) better.
01-23-2014, 06:32 PM   #12
Pentaxian

And I will also add... if you are into travel that 3.5 pounds will start to feel mighty heavy after a few long days. Which is just another reason why I was eyeballing the Sirui for so long. Heie and I share a lot of the same ideas, so when I saw his review I was like "homework. Done."

At the end of the day if you are trying to hang a 600mm Canon lens with a 1DX body on it... that rig is a beast and the Sirui won't be for you. On the other hand if you are carrying anything remotely lighter you won't have a problem.

I designed the stuff I lug around with this idea in mind.... ANYTHING (and I mean everything) I carry... I must be able to carry a small backpack and carry my camera gear all while comfortably driving or riding a scooter. If it won't fit, I don't need it.

That said, if I was going to set up and shoot in some studio type environment or if I had a lot bigger camera gear I would think about other stuff, particularly tripods. At present though my camera tools are not only function driven, but purpose built. Whether I am romping around Bali, or the backwaters of Vietnam, or hiking around the streets of Bogota it's vital to be mobile and free. Those two pounds matter.

Last edited by alamo5000; 01-23-2014 at 08:01 PM.
01-23-2014, 08:03 PM   #13

Original Poster
Did you read the review? If not, let me point you directly here:

Sirui T-025x Travel Tripod Review - Overall Tripod Stability - PentaxForums.com

That's a stability test at macro magnifications using a laser pointer.

and

Sirui T-025x Travel Tripod Review - Real World Usage - PentaxForums.com

That will have images taken with the tripod, some super long exposures that resulted in tack sharp images (30 seconds long a few of them!)

The T-1205x is a bit bigger, and naturally a bit more stable, but for me, I choose the T-025x because it's smaller, and if I really need stability, I hang my camera bag underneath it using the camera bag hook under the center column. ROCK solid then.

I can't speak about the T-1205x, but my experience has been 100% satisfied with the T-025x. In fact, unless I'm using super tele photo or am shooting in my (very very small) studio at home, I only bring the T-025x. The bigger tripod is left at home 100% of the time now. You have to decide which compromise you are happier with - a bit more stability, or compactness? The latter you can't change no matter what you do, but with some minor tweaking (i.e. hanging something from the weight hook), you can add stability. At least that's my philosophy. Your priorities might be different.

-Heie
I am sorry, I didn't go through the whole article, I just quick read some parts, because this week is my first school week and I was too busy to choice classes.
I think I will get the Sirui. Like BabyTeaLeaf mentioned, "the poor man pays twice." And I just used my hand weighted my roommate's small but with 7 lb tripod, which might 5 times heavier than the Sirui, that's unbelievable.
Thanks again for your help. I am travel a lot or I have to travel a lot, so Sirui will help me a lot. Good choice!
01-23-2014, 08:15 PM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BabyTeaLeaf Quote
I would heed Heie's advice. As they say, "the poor man pays twice." I too believe you should get the best tripod you can within your budget. Having said that, I don't think there's any harm in trying out the Dolica TX model at Costco (the smaller one) if you think it'll suit your needs. From the specs it appears similar to the Sirui. I can't remember if this model was around when I made my purchase. Anyhow, there's pretty low risk ordering from Costco. I've been a loyal customer for years and they have a great return policy if you don't like it -- you can just bring it back to your local store, no need to pay shipping to return. Other than time, I don't think there's much to lose. Again, I don't have experience with other tripods to compare mine to, but I've been impressed by the build on mine. Hope this helps and let us know what happens!
Haha, I like "the poor man pays twice." My friend said the similar quote to me when I was going to buy a car. I will get the Sirui, because I travels a lot, so it is the best for me.
Thanks for your advices.
01-23-2014, 08:19 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
And I will also add... if you are into travel that 3.5 pounds will start to feel mighty heavy after a few long days. Which is just another reason why I was eyeballing the Sirui for so long. Heie and I share a lot of the same ideas, so when I saw his review I was like "homework. Done."

At the end of the day if you are trying to hang a 600mm Canon lens with a 1DX body on it... that rig is a beast and the Sirui won't be for you. On the other hand if you are carrying anything remotely lighter you won't have a problem.

I designed the stuff I lug around with this idea in mind.... ANYTHING (and I mean everything) I carry... I must be able to carry a small backpack and carry my camera gear all while comfortably driving or riding a scooter. If it won't fit, I don't need it.

That said, if I was going to set up and shoot in some studio type environment or if I had a lot bigger camera gear I would think about other stuff, particularly tripods. At present though my camera tools are not only function driven, but purpose built. Whether I am romping around Bali, or the backwaters of Vietnam, or hiking around the streets of Bogota it's vital to be mobile and free. Those two pounds matter.
I am super agree with your point. I just went to Orlando for traveling and my two shoulders feels so hurt when I use my one shoulder bag and I have to change the carrying shoulder everyday. I might go to YellowStone this summer, so I hope the Sirui will give me a huge surprise. Thanks for your advices.