Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-24-2014, 11:27 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How much my old filter can cost now?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I took out my old Nikon lenses, and found the filter box with the price tag on it. The filter cost $199.95 about 12 years ago. I'm pretty sure my husband was duped by sale guy to get such a filter for the total novice as I was back to that time. I just played a bit with the camera, got annoyed, and bought P&S cheap one

It's Crystal Optics Super High Resolution multi coated filter, SAC 55 UV, made in Japan. I tried to google it, but got the result for CO's filters around 10 dollars.
This one produces stars, here is the picture crop :

I know nothing about filters, so could you tell me please if filters dropped the price since, or it still has the value? I like the star effect, and going to keep this filter, just would like to know what I have.

01-24-2014, 11:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are filters that cause a star effect, but I don't think that is what you have. Those have a grid embedded in the glass that cause the affect. From your description you have a regular UV filter in 55mm. Still quite usable, though not really needed much with digital. Top of the line fancy super duper UV filter in 55mm? Maybe $25. $10 -$15 for a good one.
01-24-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Are you sure the price tag didn't come from somewhere else?
55mm cross screen / star filters range from $17-70 for good brands on BH and under $10 (as low as $3) for random brands on Amazon
Star Effects | B&H Photo Video
01-24-2014, 12:28 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't know if the tag for that filter. I even don't remember how many filters I had. Hopefully, my husband remembers, but I'm not sure. My teen son ones has had my camera for a while (big mistake!), and since that time I don't have a camera bag, a camera strap, and probably something else. Will ask him as well if he remembers, of course.

My filter really looks like an ordinary cheap one. The price tag is some mystery.
That how it looks:

01-24-2014, 12:42 PM   #5
Veteran Member

UPC Database: Item Record

New Crystal Optics Super High Resolution Multi Coated 55mm Screw in UV Filter | eBay

did he buy it in another country that might use the $ symbol for their own currency? 199 Yen would have been something like 4 US dollars in early 2000s, I think (or was it $.50?)
01-24-2014, 12:49 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
did he buy it in another country that might use the $ symbol for their own currency? 199 Yen would have been something like 4 US dollars in early 2000s, I think (or was it $.50?)
Nope, it was US store. I'm thinking it was store's wrong tag. That's the only reasonable explanation I have. I would definitely remember $200 filter!
But I don't.
01-24-2014, 03:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
UPC Database: Item Record

New Crystal Optics Super High Resolution Multi Coated 55mm Screw in UV Filter | eBay

Just a tad bit of depreciation!!! Darn thing dropped 190.00 when he walked out the door.

maybe it was from this store... LOL Crystal Optics 55mm 3 Piece Filter Kit (UV, Circular Polarizer, FLD)

Holy crap look at the prices for the Pentax cameras!!!!!!!

01-24-2014, 03:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
What, you think $1300 for a $600 camera is excessive?
01-24-2014, 04:58 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Just a tad bit of depreciation!!! Darn thing dropped 190.00 when he walked out the door.

maybe it was from this store... LOL Crystal Optics 55mm 3 Piece Filter Kit (UV, Circular Polarizer, FLD)

It's funny, but he bought the camera at the mall where that store survived the longest compare to other photo stores there.
I wish I would have the receipt.
Yep, it was the store error for sure because my husband remembers he did not pay $200 for that filter.
Too bad! I would sell it and buy more lenses for my Pentax!
01-24-2014, 10:05 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I doubt if it will fetch anything good.