Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2014, 04:17 AM   #1

Which Pentax flash for event and wedding shoot?

Hey guys, I'm kinda new to the Pentax system and I was wondering which Pentax flash do you guys recommend if I were to shoot events and weddings?

I usually use a combination of TTL and manual with my current system's flash; and also I want to know does the new AF540FGZ II and AF360FGZ II flash have over heating issues and how accurate and consistent are their giving flash power in TTL mode( Like no sudden over/under exposure)?

Thanks!

02-02-2014, 05:58 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi

Welcome to the forum where the legends walk free. The league of extraordinary Pentaxians

This thread will help you a lot.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/137-photographic-industry-professionals/...31-images.html

Cheers!
02-02-2014, 06:52 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
Hi

Welcome to the forum where the legends walk free. The league of extraordinary Pentaxians

This thread will help you a lot.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/137-photographic-industry-professionals/...31-images.html

Cheers!
Thanks, interesting, very helpful in someways indeed

Last edited by ColiNiloK; 02-02-2014 at 07:04 AM.
02-03-2014, 05:48 PM   #4

Original Poster
Any one used the AF540FGZ II and AF360FGZ II flash, any thoughts?

02-03-2014, 07:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ColiNiloK Quote
which Pentax flash do you guys recommend if I were to shoot events and weddings?
Well, the only Pentax flash I own is an aging AF200T which I don't recommend for anything other than mug shots. Since the main difference between the two FGZ II models is the guide number, if you can afford it, go with the highest guide number. That way you still have a chance to use bounce flash when more than one person is in the picture and they aren't standing close to a wall and/or under a low ceiling. I do own a fairly new Metz 52 AF-1 with close to the output power of the 540, and for a single source of on camera flash, it is pretty good at bouncing light when the people in the picture are 20 feet away.
how accurate and consistent are their giving flash power in TTL mode
That depends more on your camera than your flash. My Metz is a P-TTL compatible model, and while I find it necessary to apply exposure compensation, the hardware works consistently. What messes up P-TTL is its inability to do spot metering, so highly reflective surfaces anywhere in the frame result in badly underexposed pictures, and if the background isn't consistent, the camera's flash settings won't be consistent either. The K-30, K-5 II, K-50 and K-3 apparently have similar programming for P-TTL flash, and my experience is that the program will try to produce "normal" results in spite of your exposure compensation settings, so if you want trick shots, you probably should look at manual settings.
02-06-2014, 11:23 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Any one used the AF540FGZ II and AF360FGZ II flash, any thoughts?
I own the 540 and have tested th 540 II. If cash isn't an issue, get the new one. It's a tad smaller, recycles faster, is WR, and ergonomics are better.

If cash is an issue, the 540 is still an excellent flash, easy to use (except for some funky settings. For instance, to change the wireless mode from wireless TTL to slave, you move down the function button, then hold LIGHT for 2 seconds... go figure).

how accurate and consistent are their giving flash power in TTL mode
In direct light there never has been any problem. With bounce, it depends more on the camera than the flash. With my older K20D, bouncing to the ceiling gave underexposure, but it was consistent so I could dial it once and forget about it. With the K-3 it's perfect every time.
02-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
Wow that's like a big drum roll, you know the one... just before the blade comes down.

02-07-2014, 01:58 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I own the 540 and have tested th 540 II. If cash isn't an issue, get the new one. It's a tad smaller, recycles faster, is WR, and ergonomics are better.
The only thing the old 540 has over the 540-II is that it works with an external battery box. That box works wonders for the recycling time and that might be handy for "double tapping" bounce flash at events.

My experience with bouncing the 540 is that even at iso 400, f/4 and low white ceilings you can have problems popping more than two shots in quick succession. The battery box solves that. Perhaps the 540-II solves it too, if it's that much faster in recycling on its own.

Regards,
--Anders.
02-07-2014, 06:13 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
The only thing the old 540 has over the 540-II is that it works with an external battery box. That box works wonders for the recycling time and that might be handy for "double tapping" bounce flash at events.

My experience with bouncing the 540 is that even at iso 400, f/4 and low white ceilings you can have problems popping more than two shots in quick succession. The battery box solves that. Perhaps the 540-II solves it too, if it's that much faster in recycling on its own.
It's not THAT much faster, but it is better. A battery pack will of course work wonders, but it's hard to carry a battery pack with the flash mounted to the hotshoe.

In such conditions, I would ratherr bounce from a wall, a nearby white surface, or use a stofen diffuser and use more direct lighting.
02-07-2014, 05:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
A battery pack will of course work wonders, but it's hard to carry a battery pack with the flash mounted to the hotshoe.
Yes it's a hassle. My battery pack can screw into the tripod socket under the camera. But it sits oddly off center and it's heavy. It can also go into the belt but then you're sort of tied to your camera. So I only take the battery pack when I have to.

Regards,
--Anders.