Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2014, 02:25 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Good example of funky lens filter effects, anyone?

I enjoy thinking about some of the analog effects I can achieve with lens filters: mirage, soft focus, etc.

Can anyone point me to a good photo feed or a good set of photos highlighting what can be done with physical lens filters?

Thanks!

02-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not really the guy for this, so I can't help you directly. But I would like to point out that there isn't as much use with filters on digital cameras as there was back in the film days. UV filters won't do much, since the sensor isn't affected by UV light anyway. If you use a colour filter, the AWB will try to correct it, to remove the colour cast. Polarizers are the best. But I still know some tricks!

Fog! You can use a UV filter and breathe on it, then put it on a lens to make the scene look like there is fog present. Great for night shots, or if you are in one of the cities, famous for fog (London, Venice).. but there isn't and fog at that time!

Another cool thing is using a gel filter on the lens and flash, then manipulating the WB such that only the area that the flash illuminates looks "natural." This way, everything that isn't lit by the flash (surroundings, background) will have a colour cast, but the person or object lit up by the flash will look natural and really "pop"

And there is the trick where you make a cutout out of paper and stick it on a filter with rubber bands - this will affect the bokeh. So you can make bokeh look like hearts or snowflakes, just cut it out.

I can't like you to galleries, though. Sorry.
02-02-2014, 09:15 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

An alternative to breathing on the filter is to use petroleum jelly. If you leave a clean area in the centre of the filter, you get a soft focus filter effect, too.
02-02-2014, 10:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I'm not really the guy for this, so I can't help you directly. But I would like to point out that there isn't as much use with filters on digital cameras as there was back in the film days. UV filters won't do much, since the sensor isn't affected by UV light anyway. If you use a colour filter, the AWB will try to correct it, to remove the colour cast. Polarizers are the best. But I still know some tricks!

It's really only coloured filters and UV that lose effect on digital

Most of the effect filters will still work fine.

When I say effect filters I'm assuming the OP means things like soft focus, starburst, split image, rainbow, and other similarly odd filters.

02-02-2014, 10:53 PM   #5
Veteran Member

This shows some examples.
Not particularly high quality examples however..... but that's ebay for you.

ODS 6 Trick Magic Effects Filter FOR 55mm Digital Camera DSLR Video KIT | eBay
02-02-2014, 10:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

They aren't cheap but 9/10 stop ND filters make cool long exposures.

02-03-2014, 09:45 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hks_kansei Quote
When I say effect filters I'm assuming the OP means things like soft focus, starburst, split image, rainbow, and other similarly odd filters.
Oh, those! Completely forgot those exist. And I even have one, came with a lens. A Hoya filter that has a crosshatch pattern. I'll attach a photo of it. It allows effects like this (press M on 500px for bigger view):
500px / Crosshatch by Stolpulus II
500px / Worming my way up by Stolpulus II
But its not very noticeable with smaller apertures. And I think it lowers the IQ, makes things softer, but Ive never tried it on a "good" lens, I keep it on that weird Miranda 50mm that it came with

Attached Images

02-03-2014, 01:50 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
How neat! I like the texture that the hatch pattern added to the bokeh!