Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-12-2008, 08:09 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by code4code5 Quote
I think that the malfunction you're referring to are with the NiMH CR-V3 batteries, which are different than AA's. Most folks (as far as I know) use rechargable NiMH batteries and are extremely pleased with them, so long as they're a quality set. I'm using a set rated at 2600 mAh, and they work quite well.

On the other hand, I have a set of Energizer lithiums in right now that I think might last forever. Over 1000 shots with those batteries so far, and the meter is still showing full. Amazing.
+1 to the Energizer litiums. Gosh, they've been in at least a month and still going strong on weekend shoosting.

10-12-2008, 12:30 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I suspect the Hybirds are the same technology as Eneloops, but what I like about Hybrids is that I can buy them off the the shelf at local retailers for the same price as crappy NiMH rechargeables. I've never seen Eneloops on a store shelf, and from what I hear they cost more than Hybrids and then there's shipping costs if you order online.
I suspect that depends on where you live. It's the opposite for me - Eneloops widely available locally and cheap, but I've never seen the Rayovac hybrids on any store shelf.
10-12-2008, 08:53 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
I suspect that depends on where you live. It's the opposite for me - Eneloops widely available locally and cheap, but I've never seen the Rayovac hybrids on any store shelf.
I've bought Hybrids at Walmart and Canadian Tire. That's about as universal as it gets in Canada.
10-12-2008, 08:58 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I found the Eneloops at a Circuit City store near me, not sure if they're in Ontario, but I also have a set of the Ray O Vac Hybrids, and to me they seem just about as good as the Eneloops, and were a bit less expensive.

10-13-2008, 08:59 AM   #20
Forum Member

Eneloops are great. I tried several other rechargeables in my K100DS before finding the Eneloops. I charged these batteries back in April, shot several hundred shots, packed up the camera for 6 months, took it out a few weeks ago and began shooting away. Pretty incredible batteries!

Hybrid batteries are becoming difficult to find here in the Triad of NC (Winston-Salem, Greensboro, High Point). Earlier this year you could buy the Ray-o-vacs and Eneloops at a variety of stores, but now they are difficult to find.

Walmart and Target have almost stopped caring them, putting remaining stock on clearance. Circuit City earlier this year (March) put most of their eneloops on clearance at approximately half price, and Ritz camera keeps a limited supply of eneloops in the store. I think HHgregg may still readily sell eneloops.

Didn't Kodak release a hybrid rechargable, similar to the ray-o-vac and eneloop, earlier this year?
01-02-2009, 08:41 AM   #21
Pif

Looks like I'm a little late joining the party. i just got a k200d kit from adorama, and the included 2900mah batteries won't even turn it on :/
01-02-2009, 10:12 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pif Quote
Looks like I'm a little late joining the party. i just got a k200d kit from adorama, and the included 2900mah batteries won't even turn it on :/
Are they rechargeable? If so, they probably arrived not charged - that's the norm for non-Eneloop-type batteries (and there is no such thing as a 2900mah Eneloop-type battery, so I know these aren't Eneloop-type).

Chances are that once charged, those will work OK, although whether they'll work better than Eneloop-type cells is another matter.

01-02-2009, 11:02 AM   #23
Pif

CR-V3's don't fit. Well, in mine at least.
01-02-2009, 11:04 AM   #24
Pif

I charged them upon opening the package. After trying them, I put them in the charger again, nothing.
01-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by David C. Quote
until I downloaded the owner's manual to find that NiMH batteries while discussed extensively are not recommmended because their voltage caracteristics may cause a malfunction
As others have pointed out that's a typo.
The current K200D pdf manual Download
actually does say NiMn

Lots of people are using NiMH rechargeable batteries with success.

However even better are the Low Self-Discharge (LSD) rechargeables - among those - the (Sanyo) eneloop stand out.

The reason the eneloop stands out is because it maintains higher operating voltage underload better than any other NiMH or LSD - and this is very important for the Pentax dSLR series using AA batteries - as the cutoff threshold is set too high resulting in a lot of NiMH unable to power on the dSLR despite still having a lot of remaining charge left.

It should not be a surprise that the K200D has inherited a lot of family traits of the K100D which in turn inherited from the *istD series, and all of them have been very battery fussy/sensitive.

Please see Post #62 link in k100d battery recommendation for a lot of relevant information.

There are confirmed re-badges of eneloops that may be easier to get -

Duracell Pre-Charged (must be the made in Japan with white top surrounding the +ve button)

Sony Cycle-Energy (blue)

Last edited by UnknownVT; 01-02-2009 at 02:24 PM.
01-02-2009, 05:05 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Sounds like either the batteries or the charger is defective. Have you tested the batteries with a different charger, or the charger with different batteries?
01-02-2009, 07:55 PM   #27

If you haven't, check out Battery University. Lots of great info on how batteries of various chemistries work.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/index.htm

Note that cheap battery testers don't work with NiMH. They will give a result, but it's not valid. You have to use a battery manager like the LaCrosse BC-900 to analyze the health of NiMH cells.
01-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #28
Pif

QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Sounds like either the batteries or the charger is defective. Have you tested the batteries with a different charger, or the charger with different batteries?

Just tried the batteries in a different charger. 4 shots with flash before they died.
01-03-2009, 06:56 PM   #29
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Pif Quote
Just tried the batteries in a different charger. 4 shots with flash before they died.
Sounds like a battery problem to me too, just try some alkalines as a test. I shot about 100 pictures on just Walgreen brand cheapo AAs during my brief trip to Miami and still had juice left (most were flash shots too) when I got home.

Barry
01-03-2009, 07:37 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by shutterpuppy Quote
Sounds like a battery problem to me too
Agreed.

NiMH cells need a few charge/discharge cycles before they reach their full capacity. However, I'd expect a lot more than 4 shots even on the first charge.

If you're using rechargeable NiMH, I'd strongly suggest a nice charger-analyzer like the LaCrosse BC-900 or the Maha MH-C9000. Aside from charging, they can also analyze the health of individual cells and automatically run forming cycles.