Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2008, 12:25 PM   #1

K200D Batteries

Hello,
I was seriously considering the K200D finding its features quite interesting (weatherproofing and shake reduction). My only worry was the use of AA battteries but I had almost gotten over that until I downloaded the owner's manual to find that NiMH batteries while discussed extensively are not recommmended because their voltage caracteristics may cause a malfunction (page 39):

This means that the camera can only be used with lithium or alcaline batteries. There are no rechargeable lithium AA batteries on the market and alcalines cannot be recharged. That to me is enough to make me change my mind. Not only is there a cost factor, but to market a camera that only uses disposable batteries in this day and age is absurd.
Am I missing something?
David C.

04-13-2008, 12:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think that the malfunction you're referring to are with the NiMH CR-V3 batteries, which are different than AA's. Most folks (as far as I know) use rechargable NiMH batteries and are extremely pleased with them, so long as they're a quality set. I'm using a set rated at 2600 mAh, and they work quite well.

On the other hand, I have a set of Energizer lithiums in right now that I think might last forever. Over 1000 shots with those batteries so far, and the meter is still showing full. Amazing.
04-13-2008, 12:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Just for information sake, there are rechargeable alkaline batteries on the market in AA size now.
They are called "PURE ENERGY XL", manufactured by guess who: Pure Energy Battery Inc. There might be other brands too.
04-13-2008, 03:49 PM   #4
Inactive Account

My el-cheapo $10 Kodak NiMH 2500s work just fine.

04-13-2008, 08:23 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Eneloops Anyone?

I've got four sets of Eneloops ready for my k200d once the lithiums poop out, Pentax gives you a $2.00 off coupon in the box for another set when you buy the camera...so, I guess I'll check the "loops" then unless someone else can give me a report.

Barry

Last edited by shutterpuppy; 04-13-2008 at 09:18 PM.
04-13-2008, 08:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I use NiMh's most of the time. Winter it's nice using the Lithiums though. I'll probably end up buying a set or two of the lithiums every winter just because of the good cold weather performance. Other than that my nimh's work fine.
04-13-2008, 09:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day David C....do yourself a big favour, buy yourself some Sanyo Eneloops.

I have a DS & a DL, both use AA's, and have been on the battery 'merry go round'.

I now have four (4) sets of Eneloops, 1 in each camera and a spare set. When travelling for any length of time I throw in Energiser Lithiums as a backup.

The big advantage of Eneloops is that they can be used straight out of the pack, no charging required, and HOLD their charge for an eternity when the camera sits unused. Other re-chargeables (& I've tried 'em all!!) go flat if not used.

I can not reccommend this product highly enough. A great product.

Cheers
Grant
04-14-2008, 06:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by David C. Quote
Hello,
I was seriously considering the K200D finding its features quite interesting (weatherproofing and shake reduction). My only worry was the use of AA battteries but I had almost gotten over that until I downloaded the owner's manual to find that NiMH batteries while discussed extensively are not recommmended because their voltage caracteristics may cause a malfunction (page 39):

This means that the camera can only be used with lithium or alcaline batteries. There are no rechargeable lithium AA batteries on the market and alcalines cannot be recharged. That to me is enough to make me change my mind. Not only is there a cost factor, but to market a camera that only uses disposable batteries in this day and age is absurd.
Am I missing something?
David C.
It should be Page 37 of the manual but page 39 of the pdf file :-)

The caution is newly added after the numerous infamous battery problems have been reporting for years since 2003 by so many Pentax users of their AA battery driven DSLRs. If Pentax needed to add such a declaration, I'm afraid that the K200D is just designed like all other previous models and thus they will all have the same problem.

Use Eneloop. It should be okay, I bet. I say "okay" because the camera is not performing as fast as Lithium batteries are used nor as fast as regulated Rechargeable CR-V3 neither (with which the camera will perform the same as disposable Lithiums). Also, with Eneloop, the half-depleted symbol will occasionally appear after heavier use with more battery drain continuously, e.g, use the built-in flash a lot or to use the AF a lot or shooting in the Bulb mode etc.

04-14-2008, 07:10 AM   #9

I was curious about that statment in the manual also. I used 2900mAh NiMH batteries in my *ist DL much of the time and never had an issue. I would think that NiMH should be "safer" than alkalines IMHO as they don't have the gradual discharge curve which could lead to diminishing voltage, they just quit.

I think NiMH will be fine and do cost less, however there are extremely tangible reasons to use the Lithiums:

-they definately last longer
-they do not self discharge
-they are extremely resisitant to extreme temperatures
-they are considerably lighter than NiMH or Alkalines

but....they cost more. Right now, I'm using Lithiums with a set in my grip too, so I'm good for a while. I may end up using NiMH once in a while too as I have done in the past.

-jeff
10-12-2008, 12:11 AM   #10

Hi David C.

I just read your post concerning the batteries, and since I am a new user of Pentax K200D, I read the manual, and you must have misread the part about the rechargeables, it says "The use of Ni-Mn batteries is not recommended...." not Ni-Mh. So if you are still considering the K200D, you will be able to use it with rechareable batteries
10-12-2008, 01:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pentax1979 Quote
Hi David C.

I just read your post concerning the batteries, and since I am a new user of Pentax K200D, I read the manual, and you must have misread the part about the rechargeables, it says "The use of Ni-Mn batteries is not recommended...." not Ni-Mh. So if you are still considering the K200D, you will be able to use it with rechareable batteries
There was a typo and it seems that Pentax had corrected it already.
10-12-2008, 05:21 AM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
There was a typo and it seems that Pentax had corrected it already.
Yes, that part in the manual was a TYPO. I use Eneloops and GP Recyko with my K200D.
10-12-2008, 05:23 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I was completely dissatisfied with NiMH rechargeables in my K100DS and my p&s cameras. I switched to Rayovac Hybrids and now I have extreme reliability and long life. The Hybrids don't discharge when they aren't being used, they aren't sensitive to cold, and they use the same charger as NiMH.

I suspect the Hybirds are the same technology as Eneloops, but what I like about Hybrids is that I can buy them off the the shelf at local retailers for the same price as crappy NiMH rechargeables. I've never seen Eneloops on a store shelf, and from what I hear they cost more than Hybrids and then there's shipping costs if you order online.
10-12-2008, 06:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Using Ray O Vac Hybrids, same tech as Sanyo Enloops, they work well charged once, haven't recharged them yet, this was 2 months ago
They hold their charge while dormant unlike the others which have to be recharged and used when needed.
10-12-2008, 06:45 AM   #15
Kei

Another vote to Sanyo Eneloop and Rayovac Hybrid. I can easily get 600+ shots with these no matter how many times I use the flash. There's no way I am going to ever use a camera that uses propietary Li-ion battery.