Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2014, 01:45 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Good hood for A 35-105 "Stack of Primes"?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

The OEM hood is impossible to find, so I was wondering what folks out there were using.

02-04-2014, 01:51 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There seem to be a regular supply of Tokina 67mm metal push on and screw in lens hoods for thier medium zooms. I got one years ago, though I can't remember exactly which. (FWIW I also happened across the OEM rubber hood. When I got it home I found it had been in the box so long it is not round any more.)

Like this

[EDIT: It was years ago. I paid like $5. From the caps and hoods drawer at my B&M.]

Last edited by monochrome; 02-04-2014 at 06:16 PM.
02-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
The OEM hood is impossible to find, so I was wondering what folks out there were using.
I put a generic collapsible rubber hood on mine, seemed to work well.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-04-2014, 04:26 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I use a 67mm metal screw-on hood (eBay, about $5). It's about 3cm deep. Works fine.

02-04-2014, 05:38 PM   #5
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fat Albert Quote
Good hood for A 35-105 "Stack of Primes"
It's going to be difficult due to the huge range the lens covers, it will have to be some sort of adjustable/collapsable rubber type IMO.
02-04-2014, 06:22 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
It's going to be difficult due to the huge range the lens covers, it will have to be some sort of adjustable/collapsable rubber type IMO.
That's what I was wondering about...I'd love a fixed metal hood but I feel like it would be insufficient at one of two ends. For some reason I can't thread the rubber hood I bought a few days ago onto the lens, so I was wondering if anybody was using one of the snap-on hoods.
02-04-2014, 08:16 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I forget if this is allowed or not but as they only appear once every few years and you asked:
Pentax RH B 70mm Lens Hood for Pentax 645 45mm F2 8 and 35mm 35 105mm F3 5 Zoom | eBay

I have been desperately searching for one for several years myself, but at that price its not worth it to me. I saved the picture of it though so I know about what I need to make it work on my FF film cameras.
Due to the way that original hood attaches with a tension fit and the fact that all the original rubber hoods are beginning to turn to plastic with age I have no idea how well it would work out.

If all you want is to use it on an APSC camera then just get the 3 position rubber collapsible ones, they vignette slightly at 35mm on FF in the corners but not at all on a crop sensor even fully extended which is surprising as its a super deep hood.
EDIT: sorry I missed the post where you said you already have one, dunno why it doesn't thread on, they are kinda cheap garbage so it could be the threads on the hood.

Do also remember that petal hoods don't work since its a rotating front element.

Last edited by PPPPPP42; 02-05-2014 at 10:12 PM.
02-05-2014, 03:32 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I forgot to look and see what hood I'm using. I'll try to remember to check when I get home tonight. I think it's just a generic hood, so it may not be of any help to you. I would think that you could probably get by using a hood that was designed for a 70-150mm lens from back in the film days, although you'd have to check the wide end to make sure it didn't vignette.
02-05-2014, 05:42 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I put a generic collapsible rubber hood on mine, seemed to work well.
Yep... Me too.
02-06-2014, 05:03 AM   #10
Pentaxian

As I thought, my hood is a generic one. It's metal, has no flare to it, and is about 1" deep. That doesn't seem like much, but it works pretty well. I never could find a push-on lens cap that fit the end of this hood, so I use an Op/Tech Hood Hat like this one: OP/TECH USA Hood Hat, Medium 8001122 B&H Photo Video
02-06-2014, 08:22 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PPPPPP42 Quote
I forget if this is allowed or not but as they only appear once every few years and you asked:
Pentax RH B 70mm Lens Hood for Pentax 645 45mm F2 8 and 35mm 35 105mm F3 5 Zoom | eBay
As much as I'd love the OEM hood, I'm not in a position to buy a hood that costs 33% of what I paid for the lens. It turns out that my 67mm hood has a 62mm thread, hence my inability to get it on my 35-105.

TaoMaas, I like the hood hat! I guess I'll just go with a metal threaded hood with one of these hats. I actually use a neoprene bottle sleeve to protect/transport my Metz flash, and it fits snugly and does a great job of protecting the flash. Neoprene is an underutilized material, IMO.