Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-04-2014, 10:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Any try this M42 adapter?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I know the genuine Pentax adapter is best but this one is cheap and readily available. My intention is to make it a semi-permanent attachment to one of my DSLR bodies.

Pentax M42 42mm Screw to PK K Mount Adapter Lens Ring KM KR K10D K100D DC141 | eBay

02-04-2014, 10:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have one that is similar on my 135 super tak and it seems to work just fine for me.
02-04-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've not tried it but it's worth noting that they manufacturer recommends removing it with the lens from the body, so I don't know how practical it would be to keep it mounted to a particular body. There's obviously no electrical connectors, but them I'm guessing you'll be wanting to use this with manual lenses anyway.
02-04-2014, 11:20 PM   #4
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you intend to leave it on the body you likely will leave the spring/screw on and that has caused problems on non pentax adapters. So if you plan to do this (leave it on the camera so it cannot unscrew) I wouldn't recommend it.

02-05-2014, 03:03 AM   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used those adapters. I remove the little clip that fixes it to the camera because I don't like using the tool to remove the adapter. I just leave the adapter on the lens (with a little bit of Loctite on the thread). I prefer the Pentax adapter, but with a lot of old Zeiss glass, that becomes a bit expensive. The release pin on the body will not engage with a lot of old lenses.
02-05-2014, 03:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

but dont the product photos suggest it has no spring to begin with?
02-05-2014, 03:52 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
It's a confusing listing. The picture shows an adapter with the spring and a removal tool. The instructions for mounting say "turn the adapter till the fixative click". Then the removal instructions say "Remove both lens / adapter together from the camera, press the lens lock and then remove the adapter from the lens simultaneously." This is not possible with this type of adapter...they must have just copy/pasted the instructions from a different adapter.

02-05-2014, 05:11 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The picture is of a knock off of the infinity focus pentax one, the test is for a flanged adaptor

If it is a knock off of the infinity adaptor, check the length of the screw holding the spring, this can be too long and bind on the threads of the lens. Also check the spring, it can be angled up and score the base if the lens.
02-05-2014, 05:51 AM   #9
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I've not tried it but it's worth noting that they manufacturer recommends removing it with the lens from the body, so I don't know how practical it would be to keep it mounted to a particular body. There's obviously no electrical connectors, but them I'm guessing you'll be wanting to use this with manual lenses anyway.
M42 lenses are mechanical screw mount lenses and don't have electrical connections anyway.
02-05-2014, 12:23 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Way too expensive!
There's a plethora of these available on eBay, most with free shipping, and most priced less than $10.
You'd be better off buying two $5 ones from different vendors, because surely one of them would work.
02-05-2014, 03:10 PM   #11
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
The spring is visible at lower left. The tool depresses the spring to disengage it so the adapter can be turned.
02-13-2014, 07:26 PM   #12

I bought 2 of these just 2 weeks ago, if you leave the clip in place it's a bear to get off the camera. Even with the clip off they are hard to get off as they are tight. They do work nice, just a bit of a pain
02-13-2014, 08:02 PM   #13
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If they are tight you should not use them. You are taking a relatively large risk using the cheap poorly made adapters.

If you know what you are doing/are experienced you know what to look for fine.

If not/if you need to ask--you should think long and hard whether it is worth the significant risk.
02-13-2014, 09:21 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
If they are tight you should not use them. You are taking a relatively large risk using the cheap poorly made adapters.

If you know what you are doing/are experienced you know what to look for fine.

If not/if you need to ask--you should think long and hard whether it is worth the significant risk.
Dms
you are right, it was tight but I took a finger nail file and knocked the burrs off the adapter and now it goes on like all my other lens.
02-14-2014, 02:34 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I hunted around eBay a bit and found this one for less:

Focus Infinity M42 Lens Mount Adapter for PK Pentax K10D K20D KM K7 K200D TR | eBay

It looks like the same stock photo is used for all adapter listing. Hopefully the actual product matches the images. I figure if it doesn't work out then it was a failed $4 experiment.