Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-06-2014, 08:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Tripod recommendations needed for 65" eye level

I'm 5'11" and eye level is 65". I'm not looking to give up tripod height for a travel tripod and lower weight, unless using the tripod at eye level when standing without slouching or bending over is rare that it's not worth buying a "full-sized" tripod. A 5 lbs tripod doesn't bother me. I'm not really doing much hiking with the camera these days with two kids under 4, and if/when we do pick that back up, I'm not worried about 5 lbs.

Seems most sites give specs on max height with center column, if applicable, is fully extended. I'd like to avoid extending it very much. I'm having a hard time with each company's different specs figuring out what won't require extending a center column.

A rep at B&H suggested the Manfrotto 055XPROB. The Suriu T-025X gets a lot of praise here, but it seems short. I realize the tripod height is more dictated by the subject than the height of the photographer, but I'm guessing the idea is to get one that allows you to shoot without hunching over on subjects that allow it.

So, I'm running a K-5 with a grip, LX, and ME Super. What else should I consider? I'm expecting $250-$300 for a quality tripod and head.

And if I'm way off on what I think my requirements are, please fix me. Thanks in advance.

02-06-2014, 08:35 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As for glass, I'm shooting mostly primes. I have a Bokina 90/2.5 Macro and a Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5. At some point, I'd like to get an autofocus 70-200, but that's down the road.
02-06-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own the Manfrotto 055XPROB and I'm 5' 7". At times this is too tall for me actually (I do tend to shoot with a batter grip on the camera too). However, at your height I would think it's about right. I must say that it's a really solid tripod. I use the Manfrotto 804RC2 head on it although I have several others I could use.
02-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
I own the Manfrotto 055XPROB and I'm 5' 7". At times this is too tall for me actually (I do tend to shoot with a batter grip on the camera too). However, at your height I would think it's about right. I must say that it's a really solid tripod. I use the Manfrotto 804RC2 head on it although I have several others I could use.

I think the 498RC2 and 322RC2 were the two I was looking at, difference being a standard ballhead vs the joystick type.

02-06-2014, 09:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

i'm 6'1 and I have an Induro Tripod. It actually extends to 67", though I rarely extend it to full height for stability purposes.

I DID buy it because of its ability to match my eye level, but I found i'm not using the extra 18" or so much of the time.

especially when tilting the camera downward (10-20 deg angle to help with DOF), it's much more comfortable at about shoulder height for me
02-06-2014, 09:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
i'm 6'1 and I have an Induro Tripod. It actually extends to 67", though I rarely extend it to full height for stability purposes.

I DID buy it because of its ability to match my eye level, but I found i'm not using the extra 18" or so much of the time.

especially when tilting the camera downward (10-20 deg angle to help with DOF), it's much more comfortable at about shoulder height for me
keep in mind that you do not want to extend the center column - it introduces too much vibration and all but negates the purpose of having the tripod in the first place. My recommendation is a feisol tripd, I have the 3471 which is very heavy duty, less than 5lbs and eye level fully extended (I'm the same height as you are). You'd need to get a ballhead as well. The feisol tripods are excellent quality (i previously owned a gitzo basalt tripod and imho the feisol is just as nice), but you're looking at $250-300 for just the tripod. If you end up going with manfrotto, make sure to get one of their newer heads that uses arca compatible plates - you don't want to be locked into their proprietary camera plate system.
02-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I use the giant Benbo #2 tripod. It is a special beast.

Benbo Camera Tripods from Paterson Photographic

02-06-2014, 09:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I appreciate the quick response. I'll take a look at these models this afternoon/evening.
02-06-2014, 09:54 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Also google "tripods for tall people" or similar and you'll find various discussions around the interwebs...
02-06-2014, 10:35 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
I think the 498RC2 and 322RC2 were the two I was looking at, difference being a standard ballhead vs the joystick type.
I've owned both. Both have their merits. The one I have now is just better for me as I've found that I like to adjust each axis separately now.
02-06-2014, 01:54 PM   #11

I would suggest you have a look at the Sirui M3204. m3204 Once you add the ball head and the camera, you're at the 65" range.
02-06-2014, 02:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote

Benbo Camera Tripods from Paterson Photographic
Once you've owned a Benbo, you'll never go back to ordinary tripods.
02-06-2014, 02:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mr.Pink Quote
I would suggest you have a look at the Sirui M3204. m3204 Once you add the ball head and the camera, you're at the 65" range.

It's $450 for just legs...I mentioned $300 as the high end of what I'm looking to spend. Just not what I'm looking to spend right now. Did you mean to suggest the M3004 aluminum model identical to the carbon M3204?
02-06-2014, 03:09 PM   #14
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
+1 on this me too, I've had mine for years and used it without drama, I did a review on mine way back in July 2010.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/accessoryreviews/benbo-clasic-no-2.html?reviewid=1761
02-06-2014, 03:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
+1 on this me too, I've had mine for years and used it without drama, I did a review on mine way back in July 2010.

Benbo Clasic No 2 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

That this is silly huge. You could drape a tarp over it and have shelter for camping. I like the build design making it "impervious" to water, mud, and sand at the bottom of the legs. I suppose the 101" max height allows for some creative perspective with an IR shutter release.

Looking hard at the Sirui M-3004X and K-10X combo. With a coupon, I can get this combo shipped for $297.

---------- Post added 02-06-14 at 05:50 PM ----------

For the Benbo users, how do you carry it, strap to the outside of a pack? Have you found a convenient way to travel with it?

Last edited by jtkratzer; 02-06-2014 at 03:43 PM.