Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2014, 06:51 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
is the buckle on my Tamrac zoom bag fixable?

I have a Tamrac Pro Zoom Bag (essentially this: tamrac | Pro Digital Zoom 10), and the main buckle just broke. Or rather, I should say that one prong of the male part of the buckle just snapped off. The other prong is fine and still allows the buckle to attach, but I am concerned that the buckle no longer has its original strength. Can this be fixed?

02-08-2014, 07:22 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Can you sew? Do you know anyone who can sew?

It looks like a fastex and they're fairly standard. Any sewing store will sell you one and most drycleaners and cobblers can put it in.
02-08-2014, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is also this for the sewing-impaired:

Sea to Summit 2-Pin Side-Release Field Repair Buckle at REI.com

(I haven't tried it yet, but your question made me look, and I have an old Tamrac bag with a broken buckle. Guess I'm off to REI this morning! )

EDIT: Got one, and had it installed in a couple minutes. Works like a champ!

Last edited by THoog; 02-08-2014 at 01:14 PM.
02-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote

(I haven't tried it yet, but your question made me look, and I have an old Tamrac bag with a broken buckle. Guess I'm off to REI this morning! )
Great Link! I need a bunch of those.

02-08-2014, 10:36 AM   #5

Tamrac has a 5 year warranty on their products so it might be covered. Failing that, Op/Tech sells these velcro straps to put around quick release buckles for added security. https://optechusa.com/secure-its.html
Not sure if they would fit OK with the Tamrac buckles or not.

Regards
02-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sholtzma Quote
I have a Tamrac Pro Zoom Bag (essentially this: tamrac | Pro Digital Zoom 10), and the main buckle just broke. Or rather, I should say that one prong of the male part of the buckle just snapped off. The other prong is fine and still allows the buckle to attach
The exact same thing happened to my Tamrac Pro Zoom bag on Thursday, hows that for a coincidence?

Thanks THoog! I've been trying to figure out how I was going to fix this (my sewing skills are pretty limited) I'm stopping by REI tomorrow!

Steve
02-10-2014, 01:59 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Odinz Quote
Thanks THoog! I've been trying to figure out how I was going to fix this (my sewing skills are pretty limited) I'm stopping by REI tomorrow!
My store put the 2-pin 3/4" kits and 1-pin kits all on the same peg, which was labeled as 1-pin. You may have to dig a little to find the one you'll need. Good luck!

02-10-2014, 02:25 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

EDIT: Got one, and had it installed in a couple minutes. Works like a champ!
That is a perfect no-sew solution. I had no idea they had something like this!
02-10-2014, 01:15 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I emailed Tamrac, got an immediate automated reply saying that they would get to it on Monday (today), got a personal email today from them laying out the options, called the 800 number provided in the email, talked with a customer service rep, and she agreed with me that shipping it to them to get fixed might end up costing so much ($20 or $25 at a minimum) that it would be worth buying a new bag. So, the rep offered to send me the buckle for me to do the sewing, which I agreed to. It sounded as if they might send it for free, but we'll see if a bill comes with the buckle. I am quite willing to pay for it, mind you, but I sort of suspect that they are sending the buckle gratis, for which I would be very grateful. Then it will cost me only for the resewing job in town. I'll keep the forum informed, since some of you might want to pursue this same approach.
02-10-2014, 03:41 PM   #10
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

I would say your friendly shoemaker will have the right equipment for the heavy duty sowing of stuff.