Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-08-2014, 11:16 AM   #1

I need a new bag!

I used to have my K100D with a Tamron 18-200 in a Tamrac Velocity 7x sling pack that fit my few extra lenses. Now that I've got a K5 with a grip and Tamron 17-50, Pentax 50mm f1.8, and an AF360 on the way (and possibly a Tamron 70-200 f2.8), I just don't have the room. I like the top loading feature of the sling pack but I don't know if there's anything like that that's big enough for what I've got. I like the look of the Lowepro Flipside 15L but it looks like it might be a bit of pain to load and unload. The Tamrac Velocity 9x looks like it might work but it looks like it might be huge as well, although I'm not sure I'll find anything real compact for what I've got now. Any suggestions?

02-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mopar_man Quote
I used to have my K100D with a Tamron 18-200 in a Tamrac Velocity 7x sling pack that fit my few extra lenses. Now that I've got a K5 with a grip and Tamron 17-50, Pentax 50mm f1.8, and an AF360 on the way (and possibly a Tamron 70-200 f2.8), I just don't have the room. I like the top loading feature of the sling pack but I don't know if there's anything like that that's big enough for what I've got. I like the look of the Lowepro Flipside 15L but it looks like it might be a bit of pain to load and unload. The Tamrac Velocity 9x looks like it might work but it looks like it might be huge as well, although I'm not sure I'll find anything real compact for what I've got now. Any suggestions?
I have Crumpler 6 million dollar home and it easily fits: K5 with grip, all 5 DA Limiteds 4 in their cases, 1 on the camera and DFA 100 Macro (or DA* 200 minus a limited) and spare batteries and filters and it is reasonably compact. A camera bag is a personal thing. It is best if you can get to a store that has them so you can open them up and see if inside layout is to your liking. I also want to be sure that the inside is free of any surfaces that can scratch my gear (especially the LCD) when taking it in and out, especially zippers. For me, living in NYC suburbs, B&H and Adorama are a short commuter rail trip from my home, so I got to check out a lot of bags. I also have a Tamrac evolution 6 backpack and like that too, but it cant fit what the 6MDH does, especially if I bring the DA* 200 along or have the grip attached. Good Luck.
02-08-2014, 12:26 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
A camera bag is a personal thing. It is best if you can get to a store that has them so you can open them up and see if inside layout is to your liking.
I wish I could do that. I live in a bigger city but there are only a few camera shops with little selection.
02-08-2014, 12:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jddwoods Quote
I have Crumpler 6 million dollar home and it easily fits: K5 with grip, all 5 DA Limiteds 4 in their cases, 1 on the camera and DFA 100 Macro (or DA* 200 minus a limited) and spare batteries and filters and it is reasonably compact. A camera bag is a personal thing. It is best if you can get to a store that has them so you can open them up and see if inside layout is to your liking. I also want to be sure that the inside is free of any surfaces that can scratch my gear (especially the LCD) when taking it in and out, especially zippers. For me, living in NYC suburbs, B&H and Adorama are a short commuter rail trip from my home, so I got to check out a lot of bags. I also have a Tamrac evolution 6 backpack and like that too, but it cant fit what the 6MDH does, especially if I bring the DA* 200 along or have the grip attached. Good Luck.
How on earth do you fit all that in a 6? My packing kung fu must be inferior!

02-08-2014, 02:08 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a lowepro 400 flip side that fits a ton of gear

Paid $60 on the bay brand new and it's an awesome pack
02-08-2014, 02:14 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
How on earth do you fit all that in a 6? My packing kung fu must be inferior!
There a lot of dividers included with this bag. I removed some of them so that I have a large center space for the camera and two separated spaces for on each side creating 4 separated slots for the lenses. This fits all of the limiteds. Since I do keep them in their cases two of the smaller ones can fit one on top of another in one slot. The center space fits the camera + any of my lenses, or gripped camera with the 40mm limited on. The 100 mm DFA goes in with its hood reversed in one slot, but I don't try to squeeze it in with its case. If I substitute the DA* 200 for the 100 mm DFA, it takes up the whole side, bumping out one of the limiteds.

---------- Post added 02-08-14 at 04:24 PM ----------

I wish I could do that. I live in a bigger city but there are only a few camera shops with little selection.
Hopefully you get enough responses that you get a good idea on what works for you. Look at the bags on B&H.com and if you see one that interests you you can go to manufacturers website for more details.

Last edited by jddwoods; 02-08-2014 at 02:22 PM.
02-08-2014, 03:52 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I love ThinkTank Retro 7 for a full kit shoulder bag. Nice detailing that works to help you. I use a ThinkTank Retro 5 as my shoot bag. The 5 holds my K30 with any lens, plus three Limited primes in their little bags. Need the 7 for flash stuff and my Sigma/Bigma 50. Gawd that Sigma is huge in it's case.

02-08-2014, 03:52 PM   #8

The canon 200 backpack is an awesome bag. Fit tons and rugged as hell. Forum member Heie has a good review on it.
02-08-2014, 03:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I bag two lenses but have had 5, two bodies, two 360 flashes, 4 camera batteries, 2 chargers, 8 sd cards, a surface tablet, a 17 inch laptop,1mono and one tripod, 6-7 UV filters and about 20 batteries in my flipside at any given time
02-09-2014, 09:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've really enjoyed using the Tenba Discovery Photo/Laptop Messenger. I have a rather long review and pics HERE.
02-11-2014, 02:16 PM   #11
Veteran Member

If you get a Tamrac system zoom lens bag like say a 515, 517, etc you can put extra lens pouches on the belt via their loop system and store your lenses that way. You'd still have the holster type bag you like and you can customize your set up as you need to.
02-11-2014, 02:38 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

The best bag I ever owned is a Timbuk2 snoop messengerr. I got the middle size (small I believe) and can fit a K20D (now K-3) with Sigma 17-70 mounted, a AF-540, a 60-250, a DA21, a DA40 and I have a small section that is filled with odds and ends (remote, spare battery, etc). I could put these items in the front pocket and place the DFA100 macro WR there instead.

It also has a slot for a tablet or small laptop. It has hooks to attach a tripod below. I just love it.
02-11-2014, 06:47 PM   #13
Site Supporter

I'm looking for the *perfect* sling bag. I'll probably never find one that's just right..
02-12-2014, 07:26 PM   #14

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I like the Flipside but without being a toploader, I'll skip it. I like the Think Tank too but $$$$. I'm watching a few Crumpler bags so I think that's what I'll end up with.
02-15-2014, 01:54 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Thanks guys. I like the Flipside but without being a toploader, I'll skip it. I like the Think Tank too but $$$$. I'm watching a few Crumpler bags so I think that's what I'll end up with.
Have you found your perfect bag? I am now looking for a smaller bag when I will be carrying less than what I need to fit in my 6MDH. Waterproof is a must. There is another Crumpler I am looking at, I think it is Kasghar outpost or Cobram outpost (the less expensive one) that comes with a pullover rain cover. Last month I was using a smaller older tarmac bag on a birdwatching outing and got caught is a heavy rain/snow combination which soaked everything in the bag. Fortunately the gripped K5 and DA* 200 inside were fine.