Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2014, 08:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Sling strap questions

Looking to get away from the neck strap. I have two young kids and seem to be always battling the camera on the neck strap or slung over a shoulder and trying to keep the camera out of the way when they need something. I like how the Carry Speed straps have adjustability that's on the fly and is quick and easy to tighten/loosen how it rides and where the camera hangs. They also seem to only be available internationally. I'm not set on a CS model and I'm open to other suggestions, but the FS Slim and Extreme models were the two I was leaning toward and trying to pick from.

What I'm looking for is the ability to let the camera ride at my hip, not fly forward on the strap and smack a kid in the face when I lean over, and a mounting system that allows me to use a tripod plate or strap system that uses an arca swiss style plate. mounting plate open. I don't want the simple carabiner and mounting point that threads into the tripod socket.

On the Carry Speed, how useful is the ability to adjust the ride height of the camera with that D-ring in the front? Anyone have experience with the F1 plate they offer?

What else is out there? I know OP/TECH gets a lot of head nods, but their strap seems fixed once you pick your length without removing the strap and making changes that you can only undo by removing the strap again. Black Rapid seems to be the same way as the OP/TECH when it comes to non-adjustability and they use the tripod socket as the primary mounting point.

02-10-2014, 09:35 PM   #2

Photos: Albums
I just use a Tamrac N-45, it doesn't take up the tripod mount, and is long enough to use as a sling. Easy enough to adjust (maybe not so much like the carry speed), it has quick release and it's cheap! I also like the padded suede, it's very comfy, stays put, and doesn't mind getting wet. I have one on each camera now
02-11-2014, 01:35 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I use the Joby and will never go back to a neck strap again. Have a look at Joby on YouTube.
02-11-2014, 06:00 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JayBee451 Quote
I use the Joby and will never go back to a neck strap again. Have a look at Joby on YouTube.
This looks interesting, especially with the added arcs Swiss plate, especially at almost half the price of the CS Extreme.

02-11-2014, 06:40 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've had mine for a year and love it. Make sure you get the one with the folding connector for the strap so when you sit the camera down it folds so the camera sits flat. This strap is especially useful if you have a tripod head that uses a Swiss Arca plate. Some of the ventilation holes on the strap have elongated a little and a small amount of neoprene around these holes has peeled away. I was a little worried about the integrity of the strap but after 6 months from when I noticed it it hasn't gotten any worse. The nylon backing also gives it strength. As far as ease of adjustment goes, it's as advertised. Easy, quick. The strap doesn't slip on your shoulder. I wear it while riding my bike and it sits comfortably at the back side of my hip, being quick and easy to bring up for a shot. If you have a large heavy lens, like a 400mm, it might be a good idea to get the wider strap to spread the weight a little better on your shoulder. I don't represent them or have any interest in their company other than being a satisfied owner of one of their products.
02-11-2014, 06:58 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have been using the Carry Speed strap on all of my cameras for about two years now. I tried other sling straps but settled on these (I have no affiliation with Carry Speed). The early mounting plates had some issues, such as not fitting properly on K10/K20 when using the battery grip. As mobil1 pointed out the bracket you want is the one with the folding connector, that one works great with battery grips and allows the camera to sit flat without removing the plate. I have seen some wear around the holes in one of the straps but nothing major and they have held up quite well to some severe use, and I have never had any issues or failures with mine as some have reported. I'm not sure though if they are still being manufactured since the lawsuit with Black Rapid, their old website gets redirected. I had heard that they had been sold to another company that is not located in the states but I have not been able to find out to who.
02-11-2014, 07:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
There are places in South Korea, Australia, and Ukraine that have a presence on eBay selling Carry Speed as well as Amazon UK. Tempted to buy both and pick one.

02-11-2014, 10:08 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Either of the Carry Speed users have experience with the Extreme or FS Slim models?

---------- Post added 02-11-14 at 12:47 PM ----------

Ordered the Joby and their arca swiss plate. I'll check it out on Thursday and if it works, great, if not, I'll order one of the Carry Speed models.
02-11-2014, 12:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the FS Slim. Might put it on my wife's camera and get the FS Pro.
02-11-2014, 12:51 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mobil1 Quote
I have the FS Slim. Might put it on my wife's camera and get the FS Pro.

What camera/lenses/gear are you carrying with the Slim? Feel like it's not enough for that load or just time for a new/second strap and might as well get the thicker padded version?

Have you looked at the Extreme?
02-11-2014, 02:08 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm thinking either about hand strap
JOBY UltraFit Hand Strap with UltraPlate: Camera Strap + Baseplate

or wrist strap
JOBY DSLR Wrist Strap - Minimal, auto-cinching wrist strap for DSLRs

What is better ergonomically? I'm thinking about wrist strap for small canon, and maybe hand strap for pentax, or wrist strap for both?
02-11-2014, 02:32 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by micromacro Quote
What is better ergonomically? I'm thinking about wrist strap for small canon, and maybe hand strap for pentax, or wrist strap for both?
I haven't used the Joby, but I'm not a fan of hand straps in general -- I have tried a few. With a hand strap tight enough to feel secure, I have trouble reaching the wheels and buttons easily. If I loosen the hand strap just enough to use the controls, then it doesn't feel secure enough for me.

I shoot using a wrist strap 90%+ of the time. I use the Op/Tech modular system with quick-disconnects, and the wrist strap goes onto the right-hand strap lug, and the Op/Tech sling strap connects onto the left-hand strap lug. When I'm not using the sling, I disconnect it and there's just a short pigtail on the left strap lug.
02-11-2014, 02:44 PM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
I haven't used the Joby, but I'm not a fan of hand straps in general -- I have tried a few. With a hand strap tight enough to feel secure, I have trouble reaching the wheels and buttons easily. If I loosen the hand strap just enough to use the controls, then it doesn't feel secure enough for me.

I shoot using a wrist strap 90%+ of the time. I use the Op/Tech modular system with quick-disconnects, and the wrist strap goes onto the right-hand strap lug, and the Op/Tech sling strap connects onto the left-hand strap lug. When I'm not using the sling, I disconnect it and there's just a short pigtail on the left strap lug.
Thanks. I just added Joby as an example in general for two types of straps. I assumed what you told about hand strap, that it may be not very comfortable to reach wheels or buttons.
I'm not sure I need strap system type, so it's better to start with purchasing one wrist strap.
Over the neck strap is really annoying, and I'm always afraid to drop the camera when pulling it out the shoulder bag.
02-11-2014, 07:50 PM   #14

I love my OpTech sling strap with the quick disconnect. I moved to that from a wrist strap and haven't looked back.
02-11-2014, 08:19 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All of mine have been the CS-Pro model, the heaviest that I've carried with it has been a Sigma 50-500 attached to a K20D w/ Battery Grip and it worked flawlessly.