Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-14-2014, 06:16 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well...the Joby strap and plate finally made it through the snow and unless I'm doing something wrong, I've decided in the first couple minutes of wearing it that I don't think I like it. I don't like how every movement of the camera changes the length of the strap around the body. Maybe that's the norm? The way the strap mounts to the camera/plate with the swivel seems to bunch up the strap. I'll work with it after I get the kids bathed and in bed. Tempted to order a CS model and pick one after trying both.

02-14-2014, 06:56 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On my FS Slim I carry my K30 with 18-135, 55-300, or my 400 f/5.6. On the 400 I move the Arca mount from the camera to the lens mount. Stays put. doesn't swing around, even riding a bike(rode the tram route 15mi at Shark Valley Visitors Center, Everglades X 2). No problems. Just think that the FS Pro, with a wider strap may be a little more comfortable. Not that the FS Slim wasn't, I'm just pretty tolerable carrying heavier things(31 years of fighting fires and wearing scba's will do that to you). And I need another folding mount to leave attached to my 400 and my K30.
02-14-2014, 07:13 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mobil1 Quote
On my FS Slim I carry my K30 with 18-135, 55-300, or my 400 f/5.6. On the 400 I move the Arca mount from the camera to the lens mount. Stays put. doesn't swing around, even riding a bike(rode the tram route 15mi at Shark Valley Visitors Center, Everglades X 2). No problems. Just think that the FS Pro, with a wider strap may be a little more comfortable. Not that the FS Slim wasn't, I'm just pretty tolerable carrying heavier things(31 years of fighting fires and wearing scba's will do that to you). And I need another folding mount to leave attached to my 400 and my K30.
I'm debating between the FS Slim and the Extreme. Extreme has the rubber "pad" and the underarm strap. Both have the F1 plate. I don't have any long teles at the moment. The two "heavy" lenses I have are Vivitar Series 1 70-210/3.5 macro and 90/2.5 macro. I mostly shoot with primes.
02-14-2014, 11:26 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jtkratzer Quote
Well...the Joby strap and plate finally made it through the snow and unless I'm doing something wrong, I've decided in the first couple minutes of wearing it that I don't think I like it. I don't like how every movement of the camera changes the length of the strap around the body. Maybe that's the norm? The way the strap mounts to the camera/plate with the swivel seems to bunch up the strap. I'll work with it after I get the kids bathed and in bed. Tempted to order a CS model and pick one after trying both.
There is a small lock tap on the strap you can lock it into the length you want it at, when I use the lock tap it never moves and it is only a quick move to have the camera ready to shoot with. Don't know if that helps.

02-15-2014, 12:05 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Optech USA sling strap for me works great.
I did a custom setup with their Envy pad instead of the wider Pro pad.
OP/TECH USA Utility Strap - Sling
02-16-2014, 01:05 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Those of you with the CS straps and F1 plate, does that fold completely out of the way that you can set the camera down with the strap still attached without it leaning on the lens? I would assume it's quicker to remove the strap from the plate with that ballhead type attachment than a threaded connection onto a plate or tripod socket.
02-16-2014, 02:18 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Odinz Quote
I'm not sure though if they are still being manufactured since the lawsuit with Black Rapid
Sadly, CarrySpeed is out of business and remnants have been reborn as a monopod maker. If you can find a whole unit intact (strap+bottom plate) get it. I particularly like the bottom plate because both of the folding connector and it is a quick-release for tripod use. I purchased it originally for long lens use, but now keep it attached to the camera for shorter lenses as well.

M

02-16-2014, 06:08 PM   #23
Inactive Account

I use a palm or knuckle strap. i like it better than the neck strap. and the camera is in a shoulder bag for when im not shooting.
02-17-2014, 09:26 AM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have an OpTech sling. Much more comfortable than a neck strap. My only quibble with it is that it sometimes gets in the way if I rotate the camera for a vertical shot.
02-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My Joby wrist strap arrived today. Honestly, I expected better quality for the price. Kind of cat collar from the pet store There is no way I put that on K200D, especially with heavy lens. So, it will stay on small canon.
Pentax needs something else, more "serious".
02-24-2014, 10:11 AM   #26

I have a Black Rapid strap and love it. Check out their products here : BlackRapid.com >> Creators of the R-Strap, the original camera sling..
02-26-2014, 10:42 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Lens Loop - got in on the Kickstarter. It does swing forward, but I think a simple D-ring attached to a belt loop would stop that. It does attach to the tripod mount, though you could probably use a different mount system since the hook is separate. I like that with the hook/ring setup I can easily remove the camera and reattach it.
03-18-2014, 03:11 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Carry Speed Extreme finally made it's way through the riots/demonstrations in Ukraine, through customs in NY, through the snow storm in Va yesterday and it was worth the wait.

These are my initial reactions because I've had it for less than an hour, but I think this strap is going to be perfect. I wore the strap for a bit and I like how the material doesn't bind or twist when you move the camera from the hanging position to eye level. The F-1 plate fits my Sirui K20X ballhead nicely. I really like the adjustability, how it rides, the underarm strap, the ability to tighten the strap and then quickly lengthen it, as well as the clip to limit how far behind the body the camera can ride. I added a set of OP/TECH connectors as a backup from the strap to a strap lug on the camera should there be any type of failure where the plate separates from the body or the ballhead connector on the plate and the strap somehow comes undone. I doubt either will happen, but until I have more time with it, I don't mind an extra connector as a backup.