Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-12-2014, 07:14 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Need Ideas on cases/bags

I have a Tenba Shootout Medium Sling which is a nice bag for long hikes and travel, but more often I like to move around lightly. I have lens cases and usually strap one or two to my belt. Recently I have obtained a DA*300 and a Tamron 70200, both considerably larger and heavier than any other lens I've had. I don't think either would would work well strapped to a belt. So if want to go lightly with one or both of these lenses and another, what do I want to do? I don't want to spend tons of money, there's really none left after buying the lenses. Possibly a lens case with a shoulder strap? Maybe a holster that fits a camera and big lens? Ideas?

Also for short trips and general storage I currently pack lenses in individual lens cases and then put them inside a padded canvas bag that is actually a cooler. It has several pockets for smaller gear. A couple seams have started to fray so it's time to find something else. The nice thing about this is it doesn't look like a camera bag. If I can find a similar type bag I'll probably get that. I've looked at a few coolers and tackle bags but they haven't had the good padding like the canvas bag. More Ideas?

02-12-2014, 07:45 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Look at ShootSac lens bags and ThinkTank Photo Lenschanger. They are dedicated lens bags, shoulder/messenger style. Maybe they have models tall enough for your new DA*300 and the Tamron. Both web pages are very helpful. I bought two ThinkTank bags after many hours of comparing features and specs and user reviews.
02-12-2014, 11:13 PM   #3

You may want to look at Domke camera bags. I have the F-2, that will hold camera+16-50, 50-135, and 300mm. I think they have a size larger that would hold what you want. I also have an F-6. Great for a small prime kit. They don't scream expensive camera gear. They look more like something from an army surplus store.
02-13-2014, 08:14 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Look at ShootSac lens bags and ThinkTank Photo Lenschanger. They are dedicated lens bags, shoulder/messenger style. Maybe they have models tall enough for your new DA*300 and the Tamron. Both web pages are very helpful. I bought two ThinkTank bags after many hours of comparing features and specs and user reviews.
Thanks, never heard of ShootSac, I'll check them out. I've seen the Lenschanger and it is definitely a contender, that just how I use the Lowepro lens cases for smaller lenses.
QuoteOriginally posted by sundr Quote
You may want to look at Domke camera bags. I have the F-2, that will hold camera+16-50, 50-135, and 300mm. I think they have a size larger that would hold what you want. I also have an F-6. Great for a small prime kit. They don't scream expensive camera gear. They look more like something from an army surplus store.
Thanks, I'll check them out, I know they have a nice rugged look.

Hopefully this weekend I can get to Columbus and can check out MPEX, they have a lot of bags in stock.

02-14-2014, 05:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Tom,

This website has a ton of bags to give you ideas.

Reviews - Cambags.com Camera Bag Resource.

Tim
02-14-2014, 05:46 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sundr Quote
You may want to look at Domke camera bags.
+1 on Domke. I have an F3. I use it as a means to tote around just what I think I'll need on a particular day. I've had mine for a LONG time and it's still going strong. Very versatile.
02-17-2014, 07:53 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update

Thanks for the suggestions. I was able to get to Columbus and check out Midwest Photo and another store called World of Photography. Midwest has a ton of bags, the Thinktank's lens changers and even their expanding holster were pretty nice, and another possibility was the Lowepro Lens Changer 200AW. I decided to check out another store I had found online, The World of Photography, apparently was formerly the World of Used Photography. I had never heard of it and apparently they had started to sell new equipment more recently. I got there and was surprised, it was pretty good sized and loaded with gear, new and used. The biggest surprise was new Pentax cameras, K-50s and Q7s. There was a red K-50 and a one of the Special order color combos, , they were priced at (as I remember) $799 with a kit lens, the Q7s with 02 lens were $499. There were also boxes of Qs stacked up priced at $299. I did not think to look but I'm guessing they were Q10s. I did not see new lenses but there were several used lenses on a shelf behind the counter. I found another shelf that had several Takumars and A series lenses. I didn't look too closely because IO was afraid I would find something. There were several racks of new bags spread throughout. And a couple of used ones. I found a used Lowepro Lens Changer 200AW for $20 that looked to be nearly perfect. I took it over and compared it to a new one that cost more than double. I bought the used one and found a store that I'm sure to visit when I go to Columbus. After a an hour or two of shooting buildings and alleys I went to Cabella's. I decided to go there to see what type of "multi purpose" bags they may have. I wasn't in the store very long before I found the "Deluxe Gear Bag" and realized it was pretty close to optimum for what I wanted. Sturdy, well padded, water resistant, lots of pockets and storage, padded shoulder strap and handle grip, so I bought it. I have all of my lenses stored in padded bags and will set them in this bag. Right now there's a Tamron 70-200, DA*300, Tamron 10-24, and DA32/2.4 sitting in the bag, each in their own padded case, with room to spare. This method works well for me so I'm pretty happy.

02-18-2014, 01:46 AM   #8
Pentaxian

take a look at the bags from clik elite. they also have chest harnesses for long lenses. which you can carry on their own, or attached to backpacks.
http://clikelite.com/product/chest-carriers/telephoto-slr/