Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-01-2014, 04:53 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
oh man. I wish I got here sooner.

Acera hardware is crud for your bike. It's going to give you issues, trust me I know. One rule of thumb is don't cheap on hardware, get at least Deore front and rear derraullier's and SLX shifters if possible. The problem with Trek and Cannondale is that the sub $800 bikes are usually beefed up with neat add-ons that cost them next to nothing meanwhile they cheaped out on the drive train. I fell into that trap with my 2013 Canonndale Badboy 5. I thought it was like the 2012 with full Deore setup... didn't double check and now the Acera front has completely fubard on me after only 50km. The same happened to my best friend and other commuters in our group with the same hardware. It's so bad that Shimano doesn't even list it on their own site! It would be like buying a Pentax K3 and putting in no-name brand $5 32gb memory cards.

The Acera will be fine for flat terrain, but if you start doing some hill climbs (we got a lot in our river valleys where I'm from) then your in for some hurt. If you can, find the Deore upgrade kits online, theres an online site in the states somewhere that sells them for cheapish.

I ride my Cannondale to work daily, 10km round trip, and then also do a good 4 hour trip a weekend in the summer. I've had to completely change out my drive train from that Acera crap. If I were to do it again I would have bought a Scott or a Surly.

03-01-2014, 05:10 PM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
+1 on the above. My best drivetrains have been a 10 year old XT setup, and a 15 year old 8 speed Ultegra setup-- both one step below top of the line.

Buy nice or buy twice, especially with drivetrains. Look around for used stuff, and/or take-offs. If I were to build up another commuter from scratch, I would probably hunt down the same era Ultegra stuff I have. With the STI shifters you can effectively trim the FD. Also, literally thousands of miles without any kind of issue. It's almost as much as the newer gen stuff, but I can't stand the new 10 speed. Such narrow chains and sprockets that wear out much quicker. They also get out of alignment a lot quicker. Both of my friends that race CX have 8 speed stuff, because mud will muck up and get a drivetrain out of alignment in a heartbeat. The pro's do it because they have someone in the pits and can trade bikes out every 10 miles.

Same thing with the big-time racers-- they have people tearing down and rebuilding bikes every night. So basically, avoid the newest/highest tech, as well as the low end stuff. Get something smack dab in the middle =)
03-01-2014, 05:41 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Wow. I know next to nothing about bikes . I just wanted something fun to ride around on the bike paths near my house. I got it brand new for $200 off of list so I don't feel too bad. It's not like I'm going to ride it to work everyday. But thanks for the heads up. I bought my wife a Cannondale Quick 5. Our budget was $1,000 for both bikes so that's what we purchased. Again, its just for tooling around the bike paths that are relatively flat here in Iowa.

---------- Post added 03-01-14 at 06:54 PM ----------

I read about 25 reviews of this bicycle from different sources and all were very positive.....
03-03-2014, 06:28 AM   #34
Pentaxian

The bike might be great, but the gear system is not. I used to have the Acera on my bike, and with luck I could stretch it 1.5 years before I had to change the sprocketwheels. But mainly they would be wear out after a year 9and I mainly do commuting to work with my bike). With my new bike I made sure I had the Deore gear system, should last longer.

03-03-2014, 10:20 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
The bike might be great, but the gear system is not. I used to have the Acera on my bike, and with luck I could stretch it 1.5 years before I had to change the sprocketwheels. But mainly they would be wear out after a year 9and I mainly do commuting to work with my bike). With my new bike I made sure I had the Deore gear system, should last longer.

Same. Only problem with my cannondale now that I've upgraded the drive train are the mineral oil brakes.... Not so good for winter rides. Granted I only tried that once

Last edited by Wired; 03-06-2014 at 11:38 AM.
03-05-2014, 12:05 PM   #36

Recently picked up a Kata 3N1-20 DL. It's good so far however it's been too cold to do any long excursions with it. You can cross the straps across your chest though which I really like and you can mix up the compartments inside for 3 lenses and a ton of different accessories plus the camera body. Very comfortable. Good warranty, good price. Great style too if that matters at all to you and it has a rain cover included! Kata has a ton of backpacks and I've found they're all very "sturdy" padding wise, too.
04-05-2014, 05:21 PM   #37
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FlyingOrcas Quote
Recently picked up a Kata 3N1-20 DL. It's good so far however it's been too cold to do any long excursions with it. You can cross the straps across your chest though which I really like and you can mix up the compartments inside for 3 lenses and a ton of different accessories plus the camera body. Very comfortable. Good warranty, good price. Great style too if that matters at all to you and it has a rain cover included! Kata has a ton of backpacks and I've found they're all very "sturdy" padding wise, too.
Can you split the two compartments into one so you can carry a long zoom and camera? That was a requirement for my bag and the main reason I purchased it.

04-05-2014, 05:26 PM   #38

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
Can you split the two compartments into one so you can carry a long zoom and camera? That was a requirement for my bag and the main reason I purchased it.
Yes you can. The main camera body compartment is also a fairly large compartment so that would probably work, too.
04-05-2014, 05:41 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FlyingOrcas Quote
Yes you can. The main camera body compartment is also a fairly large compartment so that would probably work, too.
Then that's a good price for that bag.