Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-15-2014, 08:54 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looking for Camera Backpack for bicycle riding

I'm looking for a decent camera backpack I can use on short trips on my bicycle. There are thousands out there and I need to shorten the list a bit. I don't want a sling backpack, I want one with both shoulder braces. I've seen some where you can unzip from the side and swing out the camera for a quick shot. That looks cool. I'd like to keep the price around $130 or less. I don't want some large monstrosity either. I'm thinking about a medium size bag. I'm 5'11 175 pounds.

My gear:

K5
Tokina 100-300 zoom lens about 10" long
DA*16-50
DA 21

I've got other lenses but I think I want room for at least these 3. I can always mix and match later.

02-15-2014, 09:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Check out the LowePro Fatstpack 100. It's what I have, and should be able to be had for 50 or so new.

*looks like 55 or so new! http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/531355-REG/Lowepro_LP35188_PEU_Fastpac...ack_Black.html
02-15-2014, 09:21 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Take a look at this one on sale at Adorama. I purchased it a couple months ago and it is the most comfortable and versatile backpack I have ever owned. The back of the pack has an inflatable air bag for your lower lumbar region. There is a ton of storage and and compartments.

Sunpak Airbak Medium Focus Backpack - Black SP-AIRBAK-01

If you want to be able to swing your bag easy with a side opening for the amount of gear you have then the Lower pro 100AW or 200AW Sling bags would work well also. Even though my Airbak holds a lot of gear and is comfortable I still keep my 100AW for light gear bike rides & hikes.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 02-15-2014 at 10:06 AM.
02-15-2014, 09:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For the exact same reason as you I went with Transit 350 from Lowerpro and I love it. It has become my main gear bag. I usually prefer a messenger style bag for ease of access, but it sucks for cycling. I went with the Lowerpro because of the price, carrying capacity, and the tripod mount. I can put quite a lot in it when I want too, or keep it nice and light when I need too and still have room for a change of clothes. It's a fairly light pack too. I really like the adjustable front chest strap that runs horizontally.

Yesterday I stuffed it full... K3, DA15, DA*50-135, FA 77, Q7, Q01, Q06, Q-K, D800 w/grip, Nikon 80-200 2.8, Nikon 135 f2.0, Nikon 24-70 f2.8 G, Nikon 50mm f1.8 G, Benro Travel Angel tripod, gloves, toque, Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet... yea, it was heavy as all heck and my back hurt. But I don't think there were many situations I wouldn't be able to handle.

My only complaint is that there are not enough zipper pockets for memory cards or batteries. I would like one on the quick access flap at least.

I got mine for $99 new. I'm usually a Think Tank guy and think the product Think Tank does is the best for bags...but its hard to not love this Lowerpro.

02-15-2014, 10:17 AM   #5

The Clik Elite Compact Sport Camera Backpack (http://www.amazon.com/Clik-Elite-CE706BK-Compact-Sport/dp/B004TLIK4O)
has the quick access spot on the side, and can also accommodate a camelbak-type reservoir. Great for hiking, biking, etc and very comfy. The black one is $130, "grey"/tan is $110, but there's also a little bigger "Pro" one that has a slot for iPad/laptop which I have...camera compartment on both is about the same size.

I can fit my camera (arca-type plate on) w/ DA* 60-250 attached in the camera compartment along w/ an 18-135 and another limited-sized prime. It has a rain flap and another compartment on top for light jacket/snacks or other lenses. Plus there are other soft spots for sunglasses, filters, tripod, etc.

Last edited by slipdm16; 02-15-2014 at 10:35 AM.
02-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I recently bought a Case Logic CPL 108 with the same use in mind. To be honest I haven't used it yet, but it seems fine. It is a bit lighter than most in its group (I'm a bit of a weight weenie) but still have plenty of pockets and room for kit. It is not a bag for walking around with a 500+mm lens a huge tripod. Also, it might not last for decades?

I was also looking a bag where you could grab the cam without too much hassle but didn't find the 100% perfect one.
02-15-2014, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slipdm16 Quote
The Clik Elite Compact Sport Camera Backpack (Amazon.com: Clik Elite CE706BK Compact, Sport Black: Camera & Photo)
has the quick access spot on the side, and can also accommodate a camelbak-type reservoir. Great for hiking, biking, etc and very comfy. The black one is $130, "grey"/tan is $110, but there's also a little bigger "Pro" one that has a slot for iPad/laptop which I have...camera compartment on both is about the same size.

I can fit my camera (arca-type plate on) w/ DA* 60-250 attached in the camera compartment along w/ an 18-135 and another limited-sized prime. It has a rain flap and another compartment on top for light jacket/snacks or other lenses. Plus there are other soft spots for sunglasses, filters, tripod, etc.
thats a good looking bag, sounds good too. I'd look at that as a cyclist

02-15-2014, 12:28 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

From my own experiences, after looking for a good camera bag for long hikes, is to adapt something better suited to cycling to hold camera gear. The problem with photo backpacks and stuff, is even the lowepro bags designed for more outdoorsy pursuits, still fall short on the comfort and performance.

For cycling, I gutted an old camera bag and reused the padded dividers. I throw this in my Timbuk2 bag and use it like their own camera bag inserts. It works fantasticly, and is much more comfortable than any camera bag in a similar price range. They even have a full waterproof lining on the fabric, so light rains and road spray will keep everything dry without having to take a nylon cover on and off all the time.

I know you mentioned not wanting a messenger bag/sling, but if you're cycling, make sure to try one designed for cycling, instead of for fashion. I can get everything in and out of the main compartment without opening it, after swinging it around in front of me. No need to take it off a shoulder, or undo anything. The 'hidden' pocket is fantastic for keeping filters, lens caps, etc, as it can be accessed without even swinging it around front. For heavier loads, or if you're on a more aggressive position on a road bike, it comes with a hip stabilizing strap. For cycling, these are much more comfortable to me than most normal backpacks, and a lot of cycling oriented backpacks.

Another issue with conventional photo bags and a lot of backpacks, is the top hitting your helmet, and pushing your head forward-- bad in a crash, bad for visibility. VERY bad on a road bike. I've tried a couple decent photo bags, and when fitted properly they'll hit my helmet. When lowered down on my back to avoid this, the suspension isn't balanced, and it will cause me lower back pain, and sore shoulders.

The Timbuk 2 medium bags (size I have and recommend) go for $100-$120 retail, but can be often had on special for about $60.

Classic Messenger Bag 2014 - Timbuk2 Bags

Here's their own camera insert:

Snoop Camera Insert | Camera Bag Insert | Camera Case - Timbuk2 Bags

I just reused padded dividers from another photo bag ($8 at a thrift shop) which leaves more room for other gear.

EDIT: Also, this insert system gets transfered into m canyoneering pack (42 liters) into the sleeping bag compartment for day hikes, climbing trips, etc. It also works in my 75L pack for backpacking, but it takes up a lot of space, so I usually just attatch my toploading camera bag to the back of my large pack.

---------- Post added 02-15-14 at 12:36 PM ----------

Also, forgot to mention, Timbuk2 makes some nice photo bags as well, and all their backpacks are designed with cyclists in mind. A bit more $$$ than your price range, but they run specials frequently.
02-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
Take a look at this one on sale at Adorama. I purchased it a couple months ago and it is the most comfortable and versatile backpack I have ever owned. The back of the pack has an inflatable air bag for your lower lumbar region. There is a ton of storage and and compartments.

Sunpak Airbak Medium Focus Backpack - Black SP-AIRBAK-01

If you want to be able to swing your bag easy with a side opening for the amount of gear you have then the Lower pro 100AW or 200AW Sling bags would work well also. Even though my Airbak holds a lot of gear and is comfortable I still keep my 100AW for light gear bike rides & hikes.
Can you post a picture of the inside of that bag? I can't seem to find one online. I really want to be able to fit my K5 and attached 100-300mm Tokina lens in the bag.

So far it looks like both the Lowe Transit 350 AW and Case Logic CPL-108 will do the job.

---------- Post added 02-15-14 at 01:42 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by H. Sapiens Quote
I recently bought a Case Logic CPL 108 with the same use in mind.
I'm wondering if that bag will fit a K5 and 300mm telephoto lens together. I need room though for one or 2 more lenses though. That bag does look nice though.
02-15-2014, 01:10 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote

I'm wondering if that bag will fit a K5 and 300mm telephoto lens together. I need room though for one or 2 more lenses though. That bag does look nice though.
Honestly, I doubt too. I just put my K5 with my largest lens, a Pentax A 70-210mm some 15cm long, and that is not a problem even while having 2+ more lenses there. You don't want to go much larger than those 15cm, though. I don't know how big that 100-300mm is, but I think you need to look for a larger bag than this. I am also thinking you will want to put more weight in it than I ever will, so you'll like more massive straps. My kit generally consist of body + 2 smaller primes and one 12-24mm zoom.
02-15-2014, 01:40 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Can you post a picture of the inside of that bag? I can't seem to find one online. I really want to be able to fit my K5 and attached 100-300mm Tokina lens in the bag.

So far it looks like both the Lowe Transit 350 AW and Case Logic CPL-108 will do the job.

After I saw this I bought mine.
02-15-2014, 05:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I'm looking for a decent camera backpack I can use on short trips on my bicycle. There are thousands out there and I need to shorten the list a bit. I don't want a sling backpack, I want one with both shoulder braces. I've seen some where you can unzip from the side and swing out the camera for a quick shot. That looks cool. I'd like to keep the price around $130 or less. I don't want some large monstrosity either. I'm thinking about a medium size bag. I'm 5'11 175 pounds.

My gear:

K5
Tokina 100-300 zoom lens about 10" long
DA*16-50
DA 21

I've got other lenses but I think I want room for at least these 3. I can always mix and match later.
I've had good luck with a sling bag in a pannier. I know that's not what you're thinking of but just wanted to mention it because it works for me.

I have a 'toploading suspension type' sling bag so it provides some bump absorption and is easy to load/unload.
02-15-2014, 05:32 PM   #13
Site Supporter

That LowePro Fastpack 100 I own can hold my K5 with a Tamron 17-50f/2.8 on it, my DA40XS, F 50 f/1.7, Sigma 8-16, K-01, DA 18-135 WR, and Sigma 70-300.
02-15-2014, 06:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I've had good luck with a sling bag in a pannier. I know that's not what you're thinking of but just wanted to mention it because it works for me.

I have a 'toploading suspension type' sling bag so it provides some bump absorption and is easy to load/unload.

The concern I would have with putting my camera in a pannier or mounting my bag to one would be the vibrations being put right into the camera. At least with a backpack or sling your body is reducing the vibrations. Modern electronics can be sensitive to vibrations.
02-15-2014, 06:28 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
That LowePro Fastpack 100 I own can hold my K5 with a Tamron 17-50f/2.8 on it, my DA40XS, F 50 f/1.7, Sigma 8-16, K-01, DA 18-135 WR, and Sigma 70-300.
Yea but will the K5 fit in the backpack with the 10" Tokina lens attached to it?

---------- Post added 02-15-14 at 07:49 PM ----------

This backpack camera bag from Kata http://www.adorama.com/KAPLMTP120.htmllooks like it will hold the K5 and Tokina 100-300 lens. Here is the lens & camera combo in question that i would like to carry in the backpack attached and ready to go.

Last edited by Driline; 02-15-2014 at 06:50 PM.