Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2014, 02:14 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Help, help, help! I need a case, box, trunk...

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Ok, so I went a little eBay crazy. I now have 16 lenses, 2 DSLR cameras, 3 film SLR cameras, a flash, a TC & two light scoops. So, I need something to store them in, safely. I have two camera bags, but they're far too small to hold all of it!

02-17-2014, 02:45 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Store Me?

Well, with the size of your gear kit as it keeps growing, I'd suggest a good-quality foot locker or small steamer trunk. Something with a hefty lock and handles for transport. Other than a bookcase or floor rack, there's not many other ways to store and easily-access that much equipment.
Also, a heavy-duty file cabinet with locking vertical rods is worth looking into.
Some people keep the gear in a large closet, with shelves or racks.
I do try to keep the clutter at a minimum, one bag packed with the film system (MX, 28, 50, 85-100 and 135mm, all M's or A's) another macro bag and a DSLR + 2 lens-bag. Accessories are on two shelves, film and digital.
Hope you find a good solution!
Ron
02-17-2014, 03:03 AM   #3
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

I've opted for smaller boxes for my lenses. Clear plastic boxes with clamp-on lids, 30x40x12cm (12"x16"x5" abouts), stackable, makes for efficient storage, room for about 10 lenses in each. Looking to buy some 30x40x19cm boxes to store cameras, flashes etc in. I chuck in some bags of silica gel too, to avoid giving the fungi too much help.

I still haven't found a good way to store the too many bags I have
02-17-2014, 03:48 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
I still haven't found a good way to store the too many bags I have
Your wife should be able to give professional guidance in this matter

-Heie

02-17-2014, 04:00 AM   #5
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote

Well, yes and no. She's a very practical person, very good at finding solutions. But she also doesn't have a lot of things she doesn't need - at least not of bags (or shoes or dresses). So the help I can get there is probably with culling the herd.
02-17-2014, 05:15 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote

-Heie
Mine certainly was able to do so! She said, "You need to get rid of about 4-5 bags." lol
02-17-2014, 06:01 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just recently I've gone away from bags for storage and changed to a small bookcase in one end of my closet. Got the idea from a photo I saw of another member's K-series collection storage. I hung three bags in more unused space and the rest are going to eBay.

I would have put the shelves or a cabinet outside the closet by I was overruled by the Interior Space Manager In Chief

02-17-2014, 07:20 PM - 1 Like   #8
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Ok, so I went a little eBay crazy. I now have 16 lenses, 2 DSLR cameras, 3 film SLR cameras, a flash, a TC & two light scoops. So, I need something to store them in, safely. I have two camera bags, but they're far too small to hold all of it!
I picked up a hard case with metal corners and the pick apart foam inside on eBay for cheap. Made a place for all my extra lenses, and stuck a couple desiccant canisters in there to reduce the risk of the dreaded lens fungus.

They are available in many sizes and are a great way to store and protect your gear.

Easy Squeezy.

No Pain.

No Stain.

02-17-2014, 07:24 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Something like that would work. You don't remember what it was called when you searched eBay, do you?
02-17-2014, 07:48 PM   #10
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Something like that would work. You don't remember what it was called when you searched eBay, do you?
Sorry, I don't.

I tried to search for another, and came up with this:

XIT Case Aluminum Medium Hard Case 17 1 2 8? w x 12 1 4? D x 6 5 8? H | eBay

Start there, and dig around. Look for free shipping too. This is about the same as the one I got. I have 6 M series lenses in it, the Russian Industar, some extension tubes and a couple other things.

And 2 of these to keep the humidity low:

Picked the canisters up at Cabellas.

I was going to get a Pelican case but they are airtight, and I had concern that moisture would get trapped inside, which would be worse for the lenses.
02-17-2014, 07:51 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yeah, it's very humid here. Deep South, you know.
02-17-2014, 08:04 PM - 1 Like   #12
Pentaxian

Pelican cases are good but pricey if it's just for home storage; the cases are designed for rough travel. Look for large kitchen storage containers or general home storage boxes with a gasketed lid. Keep a rechargeable antidesiccant dry pack inside to absorb humidity.

Here's what I use. It's roomy; the Sigma 50-500 and padded bag fills only 1/3 of the space. $18, or $80 for a package deal of 6 (in case LBA continues). The gasket is merely foam but it seals well enough that I only need to recharge the dry pack twice a year. You can put smaller containers inside to organize lenses and other accessories.
http://irisusainc.com/p-617-ucb-s.aspx
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_seeall_1?rh=k%3Aucb-s%2Ci%3Agarden&keyword...qid=1392694672

Last edited by DeadJohn; 02-17-2014 at 08:49 PM. Reason: added links
02-18-2014, 12:58 PM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I was going to get a Pelican case but they are airtight, and I had concern that moisture would get trapped inside
I use Pelicans all the time, I've got two of wee tins you show there, in the net pockets up in the lids, to date no problems.
02-18-2014, 06:17 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use these. They stack and are O sealed, weather tight. I use desiccant and a hygrometer in each one just to make sure they stay dry. So far so good and I live in the tropics. I have six of them. One for each type of lens I have. M42 Takumar, M42 Vivitar, K mount MF, K mount AF, and two for my bodies and that. They stack about 4 feet up in a pretty thin space. I also have a pet food o ring box, basically the same thing, for my two really long Viv lenses because they don't fit in the ammo boxes. I like to keep all my types of lenses separate, paranoia, lol, but you can buy big chests like this and store them all in one place. Plano makes boxes like these and larger boxes and storage chests, same idea. They're expensive but I think it's worth it.

Amazon.com: MTM Ammo Can (Forest Green): Sports & Outdoors

I've also been thinking about this, for my bodies...

http://www.amazon.com/Iris-Water-Tight-Storage-Quart/dp/B003OXNISG/ref=sr_1_...ght+containers

or maybe these...

http://www.amazon.com/Iris-Ultimate-Letter-Legal-File/dp/B002QVVJ4W/ref=sr_1...ght+containers

Last edited by magkelly; 02-18-2014 at 06:32 PM.