Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2014, 07:56 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Woooo hooo, my flu card has shipped...

Ordered 10/10/2013, shipped 02/26/2014. I haven't got the Canada Post shipping info yet, but it shouldn't be longer than 3 days.

02-26-2014, 08:14 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Ordered 10/10/2013, shipped 02/26/2014. I haven't got the Canada Post shipping info yet, but it shouldn't be longer than 3 days.
Mine arrived an hour ago. (UK).

But the lack of the sort of manual I would have expected is a bit limiting at the moment! I think I'm missing something.
02-26-2014, 08:22 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Woohoo!
02-26-2014, 09:53 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Good news, Norm. Tess - let him use it himself for at least three hours before you take it over.

02-26-2014, 10:07 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Good news, Norm. Tess - let him use it himself for at least three hours before you take it over.
She'd have to take my camera as well, oops....what am I suggesting? Cancel that thought.
02-26-2014, 10:16 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Can people who are receiving their cards mention where they purchased them from please? It seems they are from Canadian or UK stores only so far.
02-26-2014, 10:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Question for the knowledgeable, or intrepid experimenters: (I'm asking twice today...) How does the Toshiba FlashAir Wi-Fi card I got with my Olympus E-PL5 relate to the Pentax "exclusive" Flu card? Or to the Eye-Fi card option for the K-50? Can I get some mileage out of what I have on my new, on-the-way-now K-3? Thanks. -- Fred

02-26-2014, 10:20 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Generic Wi-Fi cards just transfer images out. The Pentax Flu card allows remote control of the K-3 camera to a certain degree.
02-26-2014, 10:28 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
Can people who are receiving their cards mention where they purchased them from please? It seems they are from Canadian or UK stores only so far.
Mine came from Henry's in Canada.
02-26-2014, 10:42 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
Question for the knowledgeable, or intrepid experimenters: (I'm asking twice today...) How does the Toshiba FlashAir Wi-Fi card I got with my Olympus E-PL5 relate to the Pentax "exclusive" Flu card? Or to the Eye-Fi card option for the K-50? Can I get some mileage out of what I have on my new, on-the-way-now K-3? Thanks. -- Fred
As Larry said, only the Pentax-branded FluCard O-FC1 will control your camera (bi-directional communication) and allow for streaming live-view over wi-fi. The other cards will only allow browsing and transfer of the images on the card.

That said, the Toshiba FlashAir is essentially the same card and technology as the Trek FluCards, and by extension the new Pentax FluCard. Eye-fi is made by someone else...

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Mine came from Henry's in Canada.
Well, they're shipping a day earlier than what I was told. Enjoy, and don't let all the grumpy UK folks with their "not fit for purpose" rants bother you too much. There is no manual available yet, but it's fairly self-explanatory for those with some patience and a calm demeanor. (Uh... yeah, so maybe let Tess figure it out for ya!
02-26-2014, 10:59 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
it's fairly self-explanatory for those with some patience and a calm demeanor. (uh... Yeah, so maybe let tess figure it out for ya!
hahahaha
02-26-2014, 11:21 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
As Larry said, only the Pentax-branded FluCard O-FC1 will control your camera (bi-directional communication) and allow for streaming live-view over wi-fi. The other cards will only allow browsing and transfer of the images on the card.

That said, the Toshiba FlashAir is essentially the same card and technology as the Trek FluCards, and by extension the new Pentax FluCard. Eye-fi is made by someone else...

Well, they're shipping a day earlier than what I was told. Enjoy, and don't let all the grumpy UK folks with their "not fit for purpose" rants bother you too much. There is no manual available yet, but it's fairly self-explanatory for those with some patience and a calm demeanor. (Uh... yeah, so maybe let Tess figure it out for ya!
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
hahahaha
Hey, I'm sitting right here , ya know?...
02-26-2014, 11:26 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
The Eye-Fi programming in the newer Pentax cameras (Q7, K50, K3) senses the presence of an Eye-Fi card in the slot and takes over some of the setup steps. I had an Eye-Fi xPro card in my Q already set up and when I stuck it in my K3 it instantly connected to my network and iPhone / iPad.

Once installed though it is still just a Eye-Fi wireless card as far as functions, as crewl1 said. AFAIK there isn't pre-programming for Toshiba cards.
02-26-2014, 03:13 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
The Eye-Fi programming in the newer Pentax cameras (Q7, K50, K3) senses the presence of an Eye-Fi card in the slot and takes over some of the setup steps. I had an Eye-Fi xPro card in my Q already set up and when I stuck it in my K3 it instantly connected to my network and iPhone / iPad.

Once installed though it is still just a Eye-Fi wireless card as far as functions, as crewl1 said. AFAIK there isn't pre-programming for Toshiba cards.
Don't cross the beams! Oh, we are talking about FluCards, not Ghost Busters.
02-26-2014, 04:08 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by devorama Quote
I bought mine from SRS Microsystems (normally just called SRS), a very well respected Pentax supplier in the UK. I've been buying from there for years, and have had good service and low prices.

It came this afternoon, and I've just spent hours with friends playing with it. Unfortunately we haven't got the operating manual that is supposed to exist, so had to experiment, and there are still some issues., for example with things timing out.

However, we achieved some useful results using 2 cards, putting DNGs onto card 1 and JPEGs onto the Flucard in slot 2. Then we could focus by clicking on the Live View images shown on the PC, and download and view the JPEG, but just leave the DNG on card 1 for later downloading. That appears to be a good way of working - is it the intended way?