Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2014, 07:58 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stupid O-FC1 FluCard tricks

Or, what to do when you've connected your K-3 to a computer with a keyboard...

1) Press the little "LV" button in the lower left corner (to turn live view off and make the camera appear "normal" again) and hand the camera to some unsuspecting victim. Now press the shutter button in Remote Capture every so often!

2) If you're really bored, use Firebug to read the requests the Remote Capture is sending to the FluCard to make your camera do stuff. Then open a new tab and paste something like "http://pentax/cgi-bin/host_operation?action=shutter&seq=00009362" into the address bar and hit return. Repeat until it becomes funny...

3) Connect a Blackberry to the FluCard and try to do anything. You won't be laughing, but rather crying that you have a Blackberry...

I'll add more as I come up with them...

02-26-2014, 08:24 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I think you would already be crying if you had a blackberry

Someone want to lend me a K-3 & flucard? :P I can write you a nice new app instead of using the browser
02-26-2014, 08:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

At least T-mobile figured this out when they recently sent out their promotion - "upgrade to an iPhone for $0 down ...." Blackberry was "shocked and surprised" to see the ad campaign!
02-26-2014, 09:48 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote

Someone want to lend me a K-3 & flucard? :P I can write you a nice new app instead of using the browser
1+ regarding the Blackberry.

I too would be tempted to try and figure out the API. It would be nice if Pentax were to publish the spec.

Steve

02-26-2014, 11:05 PM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
At least T-mobile figured this out when they recently sent out their promotion - "upgrade to an iPhone for $0 down ...." Blackberry was "shocked and surprised" to see the ad campaign!
Which is why I have an I5s now .. Seems like the flew card reviews are all over the place
02-27-2014, 12:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex Nostalgix Quote
Which is why I have an I5s now .. Seems like the flew card reviews are all over the place
I have one too - mostly because it makes a good streaming video camera if you have an mCAMLITE.
02-27-2014, 06:12 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I'll know this tomorrow when mine shows up, but I'll ask anyways.

For example, when I take a shot using my Samsung S3 android phone, it shows up in my google+ auto backup folder, and from there it is easy to send it or share it. I think the Iphone does something similar. Does the O-FC1 work with this?

02-27-2014, 11:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
I'll know this tomorrow when mine shows up, but I'll ask anyways.

For example, when I take a shot using my Samsung S3 android phone, it shows up in my google+ auto backup folder, and from there it is easy to send it or share it. I think the Iphone does something similar. Does the O-FC1 work with this?
Not that I know of, and so far I have to "copy" my photos from the Remote Capture display to get them into the iPad's "Photos" app.

Part of what sucks about the O-FC1 Remote Capture interface is that it is *entirely* web-page based. When you take a photo, the only way to see it full-res is to "transfer" it by loading it onto a webpage as a giant JPEG image. This is why raw files can't be viewed or transferred: browsers can't read them!

---------- Post added 02-27-14 at 02:59 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jezza323 Quote

If you still lived here in "the land of Olympic Hockey Gold," I'd loan you the K-3 and FluCard for as long as you need it. I want a remote HDR app (that looks and works like this one), and auto-transfer of new images!

Last edited by panoguy; 02-27-2014 at 12:07 PM.
02-28-2014, 02:37 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a Windows 8 Phone (Nokia Lumia) which has Internet Explorer as a browser, and there are no Chrome, Safari or Firefox browser apps for it. I am guessing that the Pentax Flucard will not work with the Internet Explorer in my phone?
02-28-2014, 02:51 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Stupid O-FC1 FluCard tricks

Judging by the URL posted it should work in IE on WP ok.. It is using std port 80. IE on WP doesn't like non std ports. Whether it displays correctly or not though is another matter.

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
If you still lived here in "the land of Olympic Hockey Gold," I'd loan you the K-3 and FluCard for as long as you need it. I want a remote HDR app (that looks and works like this one), and auto-transfer of new images!

If only! (Sent from a country that won 0 gold medals)
02-28-2014, 05:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Part of what sucks about the O-FC1 Remote Capture interface is that it is *entirely* web-page based. When you take a photo, the only way to see it full-res is to "transfer" it by loading it onto a webpage as a giant JPEG image. This is why raw files can't be viewed or transferred: browsers can't read them!
Wait, what? The FLU card doesn't work with RAW? I guess you could do RAW+JPG but that's still a very stupid implementation. Off my wish list, then.

If there is an API available, no doubt someone will write a better interface.
02-28-2014, 09:46 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
Wait, what? The FLU card doesn't work with RAW? I guess you could do RAW+JPG but that's still a very stupid implementation. Off my wish list, then.

If there is an API available, no doubt someone will write a better interface.
There is no API publicly available (at least right now), but plenty of hack-type folks are busily deconstructing the very simple way the browser communicates with the card. The most popular request is an automatic download of the high-res file right after shooting, but raw and video file transfers are up there.

I can "trick" the card into transferring raw files by changing the URL for the high-res from ".JPG" to ".PNG", but that only works on a computer, not on my mobile devices (all iOS, which I guess doesn't know what to do with DNG files). Personally, I'm half-heartedly working a entirely new HTML interface to enable different (but unsupported) drive modes, like a self-timer, AEB, interval shooting, etc.
02-28-2014, 10:06 AM   #13
Pentaxian

:::: Flucard pro ::::

has a list of cgi commands for various things. Personally, the ability to remote control, as well as get a list and view shots on a larger screen without being at my desktop is what I want. I will be able to save the file, and probably get it where I want on my android phone so it does the google+ auto backup. I'll be doing RAW+, with a jpg file on the flucard.

From the looks of it someone will get a shell on the thing soon enough.

A quick google shows that it is already done. The stock card has a telnet port open with no password. Not sure if this applies to the Pentax version.

http://zgiles.github.io/
02-28-2014, 10:48 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

but raw and video file transfers are up there
Flu-card specs are a maximum transfer rate of 2 MB/second. A decent card reader can do 10x that in real world conditions. So do you want to transfer a RAW file every second or every 10 seconds (or worse). How long does it take you to run/walk/crawl the 6 meters (maximum transmission distance) to your laptop and how many pictures do you have to transfer over the sneakernet instead of Flu-card before you start saving time? If you need a Wi-fi trigger, then Flu-card has some value. Otherwise, the real "stupid Flu-card trick" is convincing users this is practical for tethering, uploading pictures, backing up your camera, etc. Another example of dazzling technology used to baffle human beings.
02-28-2014, 10:58 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can "trick" the card into transferring raw files by changing the URL for the high-res from ".JPG" to ".PNG", but that only works on a computer, not on my mobile devices (all iOS, which I guess doesn't know what to do with DNG files). Personally, I'm half-heartedly working a entirely new HTML interface to enable different (but unsupported) drive modes, like a self-timer, AEB, interval shooting, etc.
iOS works with DNG files, but it has to know they are DNG files.

Try an app like Photogene that can edit DNG files.