Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2014, 06:23 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Here an example of my setup... (no tent as of yet, I go with bivouac...).
Now that I got the DA21 and the FA50, stuffing the cam and lenses into the backpack will be even much easier

Name:  rucksack1.jpg
Views: 533
Size:  104.8 KB

Name:  rucksack2.jpg
Views: 404
Size:  80.9 KB

Name:  rucksack3.jpg
Views: 421
Size:  88.5 KB

03-14-2014, 06:03 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Naneu pro has abackpack with a camera module in it Adventure K5 | Naneu Bags They ahve now an updated version where you can hang the camerapod on your hipbelt in front of you.
And otherwise clikeilte also has good hiking/camera bags Clik Elite | Adventure Camera Backpacks, Photo Bags, and SLR Cases
03-14-2014, 11:00 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
Here an example of my setup... (no tent as of yet, I go with bivouac...).
Now that I got the DA21 and the FA50, stuffing the cam and lenses into the backpack will be even much easier

Attachment 211042

Attachment 211043

Attachment 211044
Whoah. That is pretty ultralight. I take the gourmet and comfy approach to backpacking.

My gf and I both have nice pads (hers a T-Rest, mine a nice Big Agnes), we share a down quilt style sleeping bag, and sleep in a tent. We also take the gourmet food approach. We've had everything from salmon linguine to walnut curry stew, to a selection of fondues while backpacking. Makes everything a ton more fun. I have stramlined as much as I can, and I'll show my system soon, but I'm really low on bandwidth for the month, so I should'n't upload anything...
03-14-2014, 12:00 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex Quote
so it may make sense to get an insert
What he said.

A true backpack with a nice insert will give you much more comfort and modularity. If you do a lot of hikes, then you know that selecting the proper backpack for your physionomy is crucial. And you're more likely to find the right backpack if you don't limit yourself to only dedicated camera backpacks.

Inserts are easy to find, inexpensive, and you can remove them if for some reason you don't want to carry your gear on a particular day. I use an Ape Case insert, lifetime warranty and inexpensive, but there are others. Most backpacks have either a top or bottom smaller Pocket, you could measure it and find an insert which fits snugly in that pocket.

For the record, my 15$ Ape Case holds a K-3 (previously K20D) with tripod base plate and a Sigma 17-70 mounted, plus an AF50 flash, DA21, DA40 and DFA100 macro WR, plus some room for a spare battery and some odds and ends.

03-14-2014, 04:45 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fretlessdavis Quote
Whoah. That is pretty ultralight. I take the gourmet and comfy approach to backpacking.
Well, yeah that's the "day-hike" setup, with sleeping bag and bivouac more as a "if I have to survive" option.
I also have this beauty at home, for longer trips, that can also easily hold a tent...
Essl Trekkingrucksack 85 | STEINADLER Katalog
03-14-2014, 05:02 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, yeah that's the "day-hike" setup, with sleeping bag and bivouac more as a "if I have to survive" option.
I also have this beauty at home, for longer trips, that can also easily hold a tent...
Essl Trekkingrucksack 85 | STEINADLER Katalog
Heh. If you want to save a bit more weight, since it looks like you're carrying a drybag, just sleep with your lower half in the drybag, with your feet in your pack. It works surprisingly well. That paired with my ultralight synthetic vest, rain jacket, and a heavy duty space blanket kept me through a few nights without issues =)

Also, from experience, forgo the weight of the sleeping bag if you have warm clothes, and take a sleeping pad of some variety. Even a sleeping bag and a bivy won't do much to stop the ground from sucking all your warmth away. I'm definitely warmer with no sleeping bag in my bivy on my insulted Q-Core pad, than in my 15 degree Western Mountaineering Bag, in the bivy, with no pad. In fact, with my day's kit of warm clothing, I've taken that combo down to about 25 degrees and slept(ish) through the night.
03-14-2014, 05:08 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Heh. If you want to save a bit more weight, since it looks like you're carrying a drybag, just sleep with your lower half in the drybag, with your feet in your pack. It works surprisingly well. That paired with my ultralight synthetic vest, rain jacket, and a heavy duty space blanket kept me through a few nights without issues =)
Haha, nice! But I guess that's too fiddly for me...

Also, from experience, forgo the weight of the sleeping bag if you have warm clothes, and take a sleeping pad of some variety. Even a sleeping bag and a bivy won't do much to stop the ground from sucking all your warmth away. I'm definitely warmer with no sleeping bag in my bivy on my insulted Q-Core pad, than in my 15 degree Western Mountaineering Bag, in the bivy, with no pad. In fact, with my day's kit of warm clothing, I've taken that combo down to about 25 degrees and slept(ish) through the night.
I totally agree on adding a pad of some sort. Though I think I am still too big of a pussy to leave my sleeping bag and bivy at home.

03-14-2014, 05:55 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haha, nice! But I guess that's too fiddly for me...

I totally agree on adding a pad of some sort. Though I think I am still too big of a pussy to leave my sleeping bag and bivy at home.
Look at the Big Agnes stuff... I replaced my nice T-Rest with a Big Agnes insulated Q-Core--- it's incredibly warm, under 1 lb, about the size of a nalgene, and 3.5" thick.
03-14-2014, 06:01 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Are you planning to hike in, set up camp, and then go out and shoot leaving the campsite behind? Either way, just get a pack that fits your volume/weight needs and put the camera gear in it, either in a smaller bag, or something like a Crumpler and treat it like any other camping gear you need to fit in your pack.
03-14-2014, 06:49 PM   #25
Forum Member

Chest pack is the best bet for easy acess.
03-17-2014, 08:01 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Sorry for being kinda dead, i finally got a job and limited internet. Now working at Pagosa Dog Sled Adventures.

so many great ideas, cant wait to try them out
03-17-2014, 08:44 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arimel Quote
Now working at Pagosa Dog Sled Adventures
Well that looks like fun! And seems to grant plenty of opportunities for using a weather resistant DSLR... ;-)
Congratz and enjoy!
03-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well that looks like fun! And seems to grant plenty of opportunities for using a weather resistant DSLR... ;-)
Congratz and enjoy!
now i just need to get a weather sealed camera.
03-17-2014, 09:21 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arimel Quote
now i just need to get a weather sealed camera.
Oops, sorry about that then ;-)
Somehow I always assume that everyone in the pentaxforums has one...
Anyhow, the most important thing is the ability to take pictures, and what I meant is that this job seems to present lots of opportunities for that.
(said he, gave an inward sigh an continued in his office job...)