Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
D.I.Y. camera sling strap

Well I have been trying to make my own sling strap and have been having trouble finding the right hardware for connecting the camera to the strap. I was going to use an eye bolt but its too big and bulky and the strap to camera system clamps and what could I put on the strap to start with? If I had the money I would just buy a black rapid strap but for 70-100 bucks I would rather come up with something. So I looked in all kinds of hardware stores and did not find what I need I was thinking of "REI" they might have something what do you think. what is your ideas and thoughts? Here is some of the hardware I was thinking of using. Or try to find something like what the bosstrap has on it don't know??

---------- Post added 02-28-14 at 01:16 PM ----------

So I can not show you the stuff from REI the site will not let me use the images from their so what ever check out there site and let know what combination you think would work best thanks.

Last edited by lguckert79; 05-21-2014 at 12:49 PM.
02-28-2014, 10:27 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check out the Optech USA sling strap.
Don't bother making your own unless DIY floats your boat.
By the time you buy all the parts and spend the time ... Not worth it.
OP/TECH USA Utility Strap - Sling
Love mine.
02-28-2014, 11:45 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Check out the Optech USA sling strap.
Don't bother making your own unless DIY floats your boat.
By the time you buy all the parts and spend the time ... Not worth it.
OP/TECH USA Utility Strap - Sling
Love mine.
i second larry...their straps are excellent
02-28-2014, 11:57 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a DIY hand strap I made out of 2mm cordlette I purchased from REI ($.015 per foot) on my K-3. I just fed it through the strap ring eyelet on the right side of the camera and connected both ends of the cordlette to itself with two barrel knots. I recently did the same thing on the left side of the camera but the diameter of the cordlette loop is only about a centimeter. My reasoning was to have a strong, unobtrusive loop I could connect a DIY sling strap to. I just connect a 1" thick tubular nylon sling (also sold in bulk form REI) to the cordlette with a small carabiner. Works perfectly as a sling strap (given I've never tried a "real" sling strap), and is more quickly removable compared to those I've seen in stores. Mine also leaves the tripod screw unused, which is a plus for me as I always have some kind of plate connected to it.

02-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #5
Site Supporter

I've been using the LensLoop (lensloop.com) which I find extremely well-made, easy to use and comfortable to wear. It might be a bit more than you're looking to spend, but you'll have the satisfaction of supporting a small startup if that's worth anything to you.
02-28-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I have a DIY hand strap I made out of 2mm cordlette I purchased from REI ($.015 per foot) on my K-3. I just fed it through the strap ring eyelet on the right side of the camera and connected both ends of the cordlette to itself with two barrel knots. I recently did the same thing on the left side of the camera but the diameter of the cordlette loop is only about a centimeter. My reasoning was to have a strong, unobtrusive loop I could connect a DIY sling strap to. I just connect a 1" thick tubular nylon sling (also sold in bulk form REI) to the cordlette with a small carabiner. Works perfectly as a sling strap (given I've never tried a "real" sling strap), and is more quickly removable compared to those I've seen in stores. Mine also leaves the tripod screw unused, which is a plus for me as I always have some kind of plate connected to it.
Some Pics...

Name:  IMGP9972.JPG
Views: 1428
Size:  101.8 KB

Name:  IMGP9973.JPG
Views: 1809
Size:  44.9 KB

Note that the red nylon I have is military spec. The climbing spec tubular nylon they sell at REI is smoother in appearance and feel and will glide better than mine (I had mine lying around my house, same with the carabiner). If someone were to undertake this project, it would cost less than $5 in materials.

---------- Post added 02-28-14 at 11:31 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jamarley Quote
I've been using the LensLoop (lensloop.com) which I find extremely well-made, easy to use and comfortable to wear. It might be a bit more than you're looking to spend, but you'll have the satisfaction of supporting a small startup if that's worth anything to you.
If you want to do something like the lensloop yourself, you can buy the seatbelt style nylon at REI and the clips at Home Depot. They should have size adjustment hardware to clamp on to the nylon at REI as well. If you want to connect it to the tripod socket with an eye bolt, I think you'll have to buy one online. I've never seen one of those at a hardware store or outdoors store.

Last edited by geomez; 02-28-2014 at 01:05 PM.
02-28-2014, 01:14 PM   #7

I too recommend the OP/TECH sling strap. $20 and just as good as Black Rapid