Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2014, 07:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

No Neckstrap No More ... DIY - my version

Hey everybody,

I just spend about one hour in Yodobashi Camera in Tokyo on my way home, testing and checking and trying tons of different straps because my "regular" neckstrap turns out to be not only in the way a lot of times, but also not comfortable to take off / put on, when I am walking around with my backpack.

Here for reference what I had up to now:
Name:  001.jpg
Views: 1255
Size:  76.5 KB

So, as I was standing there in the shop, comparing those "sniper"/"slingshot" thingies with various handstraps, I finally came to a solution that would solve BOTH my concers:
- having something that prevents the camera from dropping
- having a way of "storing" the camera within reach

Here is what I came up with:
- a handstrap for security (small, takes away less space in the bag, leaves freedom for movement, no trouble with the backpack / other bags on my body)
- and a whatever-you-call-it ring in the tripod-mount to fix a carabiner, for hanging the camera onto my belt, or some parts of my backpack, etc

Name:  002.jpg
Views: 1302
Size:  131.1 KB

Name:  003.jpg
Views: 1359
Size:  145.1 KB

Name:  004.jpg
Views: 1422
Size:  111.4 KB

Name:  005.jpg
Views: 1200
Size:  67.9 KB

Sorry for the VERY VERY VERY dirty bathroom mirror, this weekend is cleaning day ;-)
I did not see the stains when taking the pictures, and could not be bothered to re-take them once I recognized it on the PC.

Eventually I will update the carabiner and change it to a heavier, mountain climbing grade one - just because I want to make sure nothing happens to my sweet sweet K5IIS

Any thoughts for improvemend, questions, feedback are welcome.

Cheers,
René

03-04-2014, 08:54 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you try any shoulder straps? I can't stand neck straps, but a shoulder strap like BlackRapid feels great to use.
03-04-2014, 09:07 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice... Those are the same in my quiver and I've got the pentax setup pretty much like that with a blackrapid tripod fastener and a carabiner but with a hand strap rather than a wrist strap. Works great!

---------- Post added 03-04-14 at 08:08 AM ----------

If I'm shooting a whole lot, I'll just swap the carabiner out for the actual blackrapid sling.
03-04-2014, 09:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice work! except I imagine that camera is going to hit the family jewel a lot while walking around hanging there...
I'm considering going with Spider Holster solution for hiking because I find the shoulder straps get in the way of backpack. However it seems a bit over killing when traveling.

03-04-2014, 09:34 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I get extra long straps and wear my camera at my side like a bag instead of around my neck too. I mod my straps so it carries and extra battery, a lens cleaning cloth and a small LED light for night time looking at the camera controls. Works out pretty good. Perhaps better than clamped on a belt loop suspended over your thigh where it will be bouncing around each step you take.
03-04-2014, 09:59 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't use neck straps either. I have a genuine Pentax [!] hand grip, and use that for every outing except with the 400. That one I mount on the big tripod and carry at the "shoulder arms" position, often with the strap still on it so it is quickly in use after a lens change. Mounting and dismounting the Pentax strap is a pain where I sit down, but it is very solid. I remove it in windy conditions on tripod despite the hassle.
03-04-2014, 10:11 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't like having metal clasps near the camera as I am afraid of scratches and dings to the finish and LCD .
That is only one of the many reasons I use an Optech USA sling.

03-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I hate neck straps. I currently use an unobtrusive wrist strap coupled along with one of these...
Amazon.com: B-GRIP EVO Camera Belt: Camera & Photo

or the Amazon.com: Peak Design Capture PRO Camera Clip with ARCA Plate: Sports & Outdoors

I have both for different applications. They work masterfully. With these I don't have bulky stuff dangling from my camera and I don't have my camera dangling from my belt. They're are super secure. They also lock into place and release more quickly than a carabiner. The Capture's plate is also arca compatible, so it can slide into a compatible tripod.
The b-grip is good for big lenses and hiking. The Capture is good for around town stuff and connection to more than just a belt.

Last edited by geomez; 03-04-2014 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Added stuff
03-04-2014, 07:23 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Did you try any shoulder straps? I can't stand neck straps, but a shoulder strap like BlackRapid feels great to use.
Did not try up to now. The problem is that I think they would be in the way when having my full backpack on on a hiking trip...

QuoteOriginally posted by ruggiex:
Nice work! except I imagine that camera is going to hit the family jewel a lot while walking around hanging there
haha, I hope that should not be a problem. If that's the case you can just hang it more towards the hip ;-)
Anyhow, the plan is to have it on one of the many straps / hip belt / etc of the backpack....

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco:
I get extra long straps and wear my camera at my side like a bag instead of around my neck too
I forgot to mention - that is exactly how I used my "neckstrap" as well. You may be able to see from the first picture that it is quite a long strap.
The problem was the "getting in the way" of the backpack though.

QuoteOriginally posted by geomez:
I currently use an unobtrusive wrist strap coupled along with one of these...
Stuff like that seems to be very practical! Also the slingshots as mentioned by the other guys.
But I don't know if I would be comfortable with that if I just take the cam out for a short walk in the city...?
Have you ever had the feeling that it is "too much"? Just wondering.

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies:
Mounting and dismounting the Pentax strap is a pain where I sit down, but it is very solid. I remove it in windy conditions on tripod despite the hassle.
Thanks for mentioning that, I almost forgot that. Yes, any strap long enough to be of any use for me (to wear on my side like a bag) is really annoying when it comes to tripod shooting. I have had to redo so many shots due to the wind flapping around with the strap. Or I had to try to be a windshield for the tripod/cam/strap-combo.
Good thing I am big enough to be an effective windshield ;-)

Thanks to all for the input so far!
Will have my first feedback about tough tests after my planned hike on saturday.
03-04-2014, 09:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
Stuff like that seems to be very practical! Also the slingshots as mentioned by the other guys. But I don't know if I would be comfortable with that if I just take the cam out for a short walk in the city...? Have you ever had the feeling that it is "too much"? Just wondering.
By unobtrusive strap I mean SEVERELY unobtrusive

Name:  strap.jpg
Views: 1019
Size:  69.0 KB

If I were on a short walk around the city, this would be my setup...

Name:  connected.jpg
Views: 1031
Size:  75.3 KB

By no means "too much". It's actually more minimalist than your set up.
03-04-2014, 09:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
By no means "too much". It's actually more minimalist than your set up.
Haha wow, yes you are totally right!
I had something else in mind it seems.

Looks good!
03-05-2014, 10:06 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
Did not try up to now. The problem is that I think they would be in the way when having my full backpack on on a hiking trip...
Hmm. I think you'd have to put the camera on first, then the backpack, and then maybe unhook the camera strap and rebook it in so the strap was on the outside of your backpack strap… but I don't think it'd be in the way… unless you're concerned about the two shoulder straps conflicting. I suspect that could be adjusted.

With the black rapid strap in that setup you would probably want the "brad" attachment, which is a stupid pun… it's a strap that loops under your armpit to keep the strap from sliding around on your shoulder. That happens to me a fair bit but I haven't bothered getting the attachment yet because it hasn't been more than a minor annoyance. If it slid under a backpack though, that could give you a blister.

Maybe a hand strap plus a clip to your belt or backpack with a safety line to the backpack so it won't hit the ground if you accidentally drop it would be best for you?
04-27-2014, 06:52 AM   #13

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by geomez Quote
I hate neck straps. I currently use an unobtrusive wrist strap coupled along with one of these...
Amazon.com: B-GRIP EVO Camera Belt: Camera & Photo

or the Amazon.com: Peak Design Capture PRO Camera Clip with ARCA Plate: Sports & Outdoors

I have both for different applications. They work masterfully. With these I don't have bulky stuff dangling from my camera and I don't have my camera dangling from my belt. They're are super secure. They also lock into place and release more quickly than a carabiner. The Capture's plate is also arca compatible, so it can slide into a compatible tripod.
The b-grip is good for big lenses and hiking. The Capture is good for around town stuff and connection to more than just a belt.
Geomez, amazing. The day I'm looking for a belt system for my camera, find these two products and then see that someone on these forums has both of them.

Can you answer a few questions about them. Sorry OP for the hijack.

1/ Do you have the Pentax 18 135 and have you used it with either system. Do you get any lens creeping going on when walking around. My 18 138 doesn't creep when hand held but does when I'm lugging it on a sling and its bouncing off my body. I imagine the Evo might be better if the lens creeps as it actually stops the lens barrel from rubbing on your leg.

2/ Have you tried the Evo on a backpack? How does it compare to the Peak Design.

3/ If you had to choose one, which would it be and why?

Thanks in advance.
04-27-2014, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
04-27-2014, 10:57 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Here is what I came up with:
- a handstrap for security (small, takes away less space in the bag, leaves freedom for movement, no trouble with the backpack / other bags on my body)
- and a whatever-you-call-it ring in the tripod-mount to fix a carabiner, for hanging the camera onto my belt, or some parts of my backpack, etc
Just be sure that key-ring is not your typical off-the-shelf type. They can take amazingly little force to pull apart.
If you get caught in a tight space and your camera is pulled (or someone yanks at it), the ring may un-wind and come right off more easily than you'd think.
Its happened to me twice, one time it only unwound half way, but another time it unwound enough that the camera fell to the ground resulting in major lens repair.