Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2014, 02:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

How do you store your filters and ring adapters?

I just spent a full 15 minutes searching through my boxes/case/drawer/kitchen table ... to find my 62 to 77 filter step up adapter.

I usually stack them (49 to 52, 52 to 55....) but I always end up with a bunch that don't stack (like 62 to 77, 67 to 72...) and having no good way of storing them, they end up all over the house.

Anyone has a good, cheap and practical way of storing those? And how about your filters? I'm slowly buying good quality ones but I'm just throwing them (in their case) in the bottom of my camera bag I need to find a better way of storing them?

Anyone?

03-06-2014, 03:09 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have one of these:
http://www.amazon.com/Circular-Filters-MagicFiber-Microfiber-Cleaning/dp/B00...ja+filter+case

As long as you don't whip the thing open, it works great. It's compact and protects the filters well enough. There's also a 6-pocket one too. You could buy a 6 pocket to keep them in storage and then a 3-pocket to transport with you.

There's also this too, although it will take up a lot more room:
Amazon.com: Tiffen 4BLTPCHLGK Large Belt Style Filter Pouch for Filters 62mm to 82mm: Camera & Photo

I had one of the ProOptic semi-hard cases that come as a bonus when you buy certain lenses from Adorama. They look like this:
Pro Optic 67mm Digital Essentials Filter Kit 67FILTERKIT

It's pretty ok, but I found it not to work well in my bag. If you just want to keep them in the house, then they would work really well. Just note that it (like the Tiffin one above) does not seal shut perfectly, so dust can get in there. That's one advantage of the Goja wallet I have; it keeps dust out nicely.

I also have a single soft wallet case that came with my Tiffin HT filter. I don't keep anything in there permanently, but just keep it in my bag empty. When I plan on using a filter off and on, I take it from the Goja wallet and put it into this case for safe keeping in my pocket. It prevents it from getting all messed up but keeps it handy.
03-06-2014, 03:37 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Filtering?

Hello fgaudet,
With the two general size ranges you have (you don't have a couple 58's, do you?), I'd suggest a combination of the first two links from MMM. I use a 6-slot folder for my 49mm CPL, ND 16 and ND 32. The other side has the same 3 in 52mm. No adaptors, but since you already have them, there you go!. Sometimes, in really bad weather I'll replace one of the ND's with a skylight, just in case.
And that large belt pouch looks about right for your 62's and up.
Hoods? Upside-down on top of the correct lens, in a vinyl pouch, if they fit. If not, anywhere.
Or, get a photo vest!
JMO,
Ron
03-06-2014, 04:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Filters go in boxes by size of the male thread. I generally only carry CPL filters with digital.

03-06-2014, 08:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a camera bag just for filters. If I don't have a wallet for them, they stay in their original boxes.
For IR, I have LOTS of 67mm filters. I screw them all together, screw a filter cap on each end, and store them in a long lens case just like a lens in the IR bag.
03-07-2014, 08:43 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use a couple Really Useful Boxes (like one of these: Amazon.com - Really Useful Box 0.7 Litre Clear - Home Office Storage And Organization Products) for storage. I've cut dividers out of index cards and written on the top portion to reduce the time searching through for the right one. I use one for adapters and one for filters/spare caps.
03-07-2014, 09:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ashurbanipal Quote
I use a couple Really Useful Boxes
That's kinda what I am looking for, I'll definitely check it out. So far the closest to my "ideal" filter/ring storage thingy I found would be an old 3.5" floppy disk flip case or a repurposed single wine bottle box. But they might be too small, I've got a bunch of 82mm filters so I need at the very least 3.5" wide and high interior dimensions (thread is 82 but the filters are larger) . And I figured that 10-12" long should be alright.

Thanks for suggestion!

03-07-2014, 09:15 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
That's kinda what I am looking for, I'll definitely check it out. So far the closest to my "ideal" filter/ring storage thingy I found would be an old 3.5" floppy disk flip case or a repurposed single wine bottle box. But they might be too small, I've got a bunch of 82mm filters so I need at the very least 3.5" wide and high interior dimensions (thread is 82 but the filters are larger) . And I figured that 10-12" long should be alright.

Thanks for suggestion!
My largest filters are 62mm thread, so you'd need to get a bigger size for sure. You'd have to get the 1.6 liter size to get something deep enough--the internal dimensions for those are 5 7⁄8" x 4 5⁄16" x 3 3⁄4". Hope that helps!
03-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
!
QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
I just spent a full 15 minutes searching through my boxes/case/drawer/kitchen table ... to find my 62 to 77 filter step up adapter.
You found what you were looking for in under 3 hours?! Amazing! What's your secret?
03-07-2014, 10:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
What's your secret?
I lied