Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2014, 10:24 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Circular Polarizer Advice

Even though I don't do a lot of landscapes I figured it still might be time for me to pick up a decent circular polarizer for my limited primes. I can get the Cokin - Pure Harmonie 49mm Circular Polarizer from my job for under $65 (usually goes for $93) and was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this brand or if you have any advice as far as polarizers are concerned.

Thanks in advance!

03-09-2014, 10:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cokin is not a bad brand at all, I actually prefer the Hoya and B+W filters more. I have some cokin ND filters and they tend to color cast badly. I have a 67mm Cokin CIR-PL and it does alright but I pull my Hoya filters out without a second thought and the Cokin stays in the bag most of the time.
03-09-2014, 10:55 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I got some NIkon CPLs for a really good price, and I like them. I have B+W and it's great too. Plus a Hoya.

I'd prefer these brands most of the time.
03-10-2014, 01:50 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by LeRolls Quote
Even though I don't do a lot of landscapes I figured it still might be time for me to pick up a decent circular polarizer for my limited primes. I can get the Cokin - Pure Harmonie 49mm Circular Polarizer from my job for under $65 (usually goes for $93) and was just wondering if anyone has any experience with this brand or if you have any advice as far as polarizers are concerned.

Thanks in advance!
to add to this one, a store near here is clearing out Sigma CP filters, around 50% off. Anyone had any experience of them - there is a 77mm for 49, which sounds too good to be true.

03-10-2014, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #5

Recently I found this extensive polarizer filter review: Polarizing filters test - Results and summary - Lenstip.com, and I decided to buy the Marumi DHG Super because of its great value-for-money. I'm verry happy with it. As you can read from this review it's optically comparable with the much more expensive B+W Slim KSM.
03-10-2014, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by paraben Quote
Recently I found this extensive polarizer filter review: Polarizing filters test - Results and summary - Lenstip.com, and I decided to buy the Marumi DHG Super because of its great value-for-money. I'm verry happy with it. As you can read from this review it's optically comparable with the much more expensive B+W Slim KSM.
Plus 1 for the Marumi, I've been very impressed with mine. I think that LensTip rating list is pretty accurate.
Ron
03-10-2014, 06:17 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

I would stay away from cokin. I've read bad things about them. Go for sigma or marumi. If price is not a concern then bw
03-10-2014, 06:19 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by paraben Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Plus 1 for the Marumi, I've been very impressed with mine. I think that LensTip rating list is pretty accurate.
Ron
Another vote for Marumi!

03-10-2014, 06:51 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks guys! I think I will be ordering the Marumi for sure now since it's less expensive and seems to give better results. Glad I asked!
03-10-2014, 07:41 AM   #10
Veteran Member

The marumi is really nice, I can't find mine though.
Instead I have to use a Soligor that is impossible to get clean, something that is simple to do with the Marumi.
03-10-2014, 04:52 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I started buying Marumi for a similar reason. Mostly ND filters, though.
03-10-2014, 06:41 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
I would stay away from cokin. I've read bad things about them. Go for sigma or marumi. If price is not a concern then bw
It's possible those "bad things" have to do with the Cokin square resin filters, not the filters the OP is referring to. I haven't heard much either way about the new line of filters.
03-10-2014, 09:25 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

+1 for the marumi DHG super. Really good
03-11-2014, 02:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
It's possible those "bad things" have to do with the Cokin square resin filters, not the filters the OP is referring to. I haven't heard much either way about the new line of filters.
this is specially true with their neutral density filters as they give magenta tints. however i was referring to their uv cpl filters. the coating is just very poor resulting in lots of glare. i once bought a lens on adorama that came with a lens cleaning kit and a cokin filter. it was "mutli coated" and yet it blew my mind how many reflections it was able to produce in each picture (even with the sun out of the frame)...
03-11-2014, 07:36 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just put my order in for the Marumi Super DHG. Should have it on Thursday. Thanks again guys!