Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2014, 06:59 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kayaker-J Quote
Doesn't it seem that placing the filter further from the lens's glass is asking for somewhat more image degradation?
I think that may be correct because the filter has a finite thickness and an Abbe number,
so there will be divergence of the colors after the filter, zero at axis and increasing out to edges of images from wide angle lenses.

So to minimize that, the best place to put the filter might be close to the lens where the designers intended.
I don't know how observable that is, most problems I have are reflections (flare) from filters especially degraded filters -old or that have been washed.

So best place for a filter might be on original threads and inside a hood.

03-18-2014, 01:06 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by silvershoes Quote
Sad story, but it makes no sense to sacrifice the image quality of thousands of photos over a freak accident. There are times using a UV filter is appropriate, but protection (little as it may be) isn't one of them.
That wasn't a freak accident. It sounds to me like he was being a little brat and if a kid did that to me? He'd be grounded till he was 18!
03-18-2014, 01:44 PM   #18
Veteran Member

A lens cap would also have done the trick. Handy when walking around crowds filled with ice-cream toting children with a camera around your neck. Plus, they have either no impact on image quality or a massive impact on image quality depending on their state of on/off-ness.
03-19-2014, 09:35 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I definitely consider children among the 'adverse conditions' that may call for UV filters.

03-20-2014, 07:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Instead of standard UV filters, I've invested in Heliopan's Digital Filter (which blocks both UV and IR) on all of my lenses: Heliopan 82mm Digital Glass Filter 708286 B&H Photo Video

I've compared images taken with the Digital Filter and without. Without doubt, the images WITH the Heliopan Digital Filter are sharper.
03-20-2014, 09:25 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
I always find it absurd to pay so much for top notch lenses with ultra modern coatings. And then placing them behind a $30,- piece of glass. But in this case however the UV filter did save the day.
I always use the best filters...which in my opinion are B+W...which are not cheap. I've tested a couple of my lenses...with and without the filter...same subject...same lighting/time, etc.

So far I can't see any difference, with or without my B+W filters.
03-20-2014, 11:39 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FrankC Quote
Instead of standard UV filters, I've invested in Heliopan's Digital Filter (which blocks both UV and IR) on all of my lenses: Heliopan 82mm Digital Glass Filter 708286 B&H Photo Video

I've compared images taken with the Digital Filter and without. Without doubt, the images WITH the Heliopan Digital Filter are sharper.
Hmm, wonder why... Well, the UV filters haven't really panned out like that in quite a few comparisons you can see online. Do you think this could be happening at the IR end? But why, and with what sorts of subjects? Can you show us examples? This might be interesting. Or not. Thanks!

Last edited by Kayaker-J; 03-27-2014 at 12:49 AM.
03-26-2014, 10:55 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by FrankC Quote
what camera were you using? which lens? were you shooting in a controlled studio environment? I have tested these filters myself in the studio and found them to be an utter waste of money, from what I have seen they offer no detectable improvement in image quality.
03-26-2014, 11:24 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You know there is a whole other way to avoid this issue. Simply change the sun screen you use to a rub on /cream application as opposed to spray.

The spray on aside from propellants , has a long history of adverse skin reactions and applies almost like a coat of paint on your skin. It seals all the pores and does not let your skin breathe properly.

Give up a little convenience for a healthier application and better IQ at the same time
03-27-2014, 12:51 AM   #25
Veteran Member

More practical advice there, Lowell!