Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
03-17-2014, 08:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

For all you "No UV Filter" Advocates

Here's a story from this weekend:

My GF and I attended the Luke AFB Air Show with her 13 yo son. She decided she needed to apply some spray on sunblock,
so she handed it to her son to hold while she situated herself.
Before she could say anything, he SPRAYED!!!! it on her, her purse, her K30 and her DA55-300!!
Add to that, a steady 15 mph wind in the middle of a dirt field, and we now have one nearly impossible to clean 58mm UV filter.
I can live with that, but had she not had a filter on, she would be paying a professional to clean off sticky oil and dust particles from her lens.
On top of that, since it happened halfway through the show, she would have been without the use of her lens,
because there's no way to field clean that combination.

I for one, will always have some sort of filter on the front of my lens, even if it's just a UV. You never know when a teenager may strike!

03-17-2014, 08:21 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote

You never know when a teenager may strike!
Bad luck is known to occur in many forms--some of which are deadly. A ruined lens?--I think I can take that. But I don't use very expensive lenses.

Last edited by causey; 03-17-2014 at 09:54 AM.
03-17-2014, 08:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yikes!

My uv filters are very good against the birthday cake cream and icing.

I once bought a s/h lens to find candle wax splashed all over the rear glass. I surmised that somebody took the lens off and placed it nose down under a candlestick.
03-17-2014, 08:24 AM - 5 Likes   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

The lesson learned here?
Having kids and UV filters = some degree of safety.
Not having kids or UV filters = similar safety and a whole lot cheaper.

03-17-2014, 08:39 AM   #5
Veteran Member

In this case may I also recommend investing in a hard protective case for your camera!?
I mean... he could of hit the camera with the darn thing...

I think the lesson in this case is more along the lines "protect your camera when around kids" rather than how useful the UV filter is.

With the right tools oil can be cleaned from lenses without much effort.
03-17-2014, 08:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I always find it absurd to pay so much for top notch lenses with ultra modern coatings. And then placing them behind a $30,- piece of glass. But in this case however the UV filter did save the day.
03-17-2014, 08:55 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
I imagine him grinning like my avatar after doing that.

03-17-2014, 09:06 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I for one, will always have some sort of filter on the front of my lens, even if it's just a UV. You never know when a teenager may strike!
When I stopped using filters for protection, in order to get the best possible IQ, I put one of each lens-thread size in my camera bag so that I could use one around blown-sand and children.
03-17-2014, 09:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Barry Pearson Quote
When I stopped using filters for protection, in order to get the best possible IQ, I put one of each lens-thread size in my camera bag so that I could use one around blown-sand and children.
If you really want to use an UV filter in "bad" conditions, you can also buy 1 large very good (expensive) UV filter and then just purchase step-up rings for your lenses - that are very cheap.

I filter to rule them all
03-17-2014, 10:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
If you really want to use an UV filter in "bad" conditions, you can also buy 1 large very good (expensive) UV filter and then just purchase step-up rings for your lenses - that are very cheap.
I agree, and I carry some step-up rings so that I don't need so many expensive filters. (I buy some filters in 67mm and 77mm, for example Circular Polarising and 9-stops ND, and some in just 77mm, such as Singh-Ray Gold-n-Blue, and an Intensifier).

In the case of the UV filters, I already had expensive ones, which I then stopped using, on all my lenses. So I carry a set of them.
03-17-2014, 11:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I know I'll have blowing sand or strong ocean spray I'll put a filter on. Otherwise I don't.

When my camera fell out of my cheap Canon backpack a few years ago the UV filter broke and the broken glass scratched and damaged the front element. The zoom lens also developed some wobble. I should have just had the lens cap on it, like I do now. A filter does not make a good substitute lens cap. The plastic lens cap will even cushion the blow a little bit - at least compared to a metal filter ring. And this could help prevent damage to both the glass and the lens mechanisms. A hood should do an even better job of absorbing some of the shock.

Either lens cap or hood, depending on whether you are likely to be using the camera soon.

Last edited by DSims; 03-17-2014 at 11:59 AM.
03-17-2014, 04:42 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

I'm one of those anti-UV filter Nazis. I normally don't use them, and haven't for years, without any issue. But if the environment requires some form of lens protection against obvious hazards like oil sprays (or windscreen bugs - eg when mounting the camera externally on a moving car), I would certainly use one. Otherwise, I get by just using a hood, lens cap, and being particularly cautious around kids, drunks and other hazards.
03-17-2014, 04:44 PM   #13
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
......kids, drunks and other hazards.
03-17-2014, 05:59 PM   #14
Forum Member

I for one, will always have some sort of filter on the front of my lens, even if it's just a UV.
Sad story, but it makes no sense to sacrifice the image quality of thousands of photos over a freak accident. There are times using a UV filter is appropriate, but protection (little as it may be) isn't one of them.
03-18-2014, 05:42 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Whether it be a filter or a screw-on lens hood, I was never all that comfortable with the metal thread into metal thread factor. Besides there being the potential to get stuck hard in place; as DSims suggests, something with a bit of give to take a blow just makes sense up front. So... do any good, dependable plastic step-up rings exist, which could act as an intermediary "buffer"?

A second thing I wonder about is varying that rear filter surface to front lens element distance: Doesn't it seem that placing the filter further from the lens's glass is asking for somewhat more image degradation? In a more extreme case, I have a Lens Baby hood which takes a standard 52mm filter screwed into the outside leading edge of the hood barrel (effectively an extreme built-in step-up ring). Even apart from the potential to contribute flare, how much trouble could that be, I wonder...?