Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2008, 10:00 PM   #1

Lowepro Slingshot 100 w/ DA 50-135 attatched

Will the DA 50-135 attatched to the k10 fit in the lowepro slingshot 100? I'd like to keep it small (vs. the slingshot 200 or 300) but want to make sure this camera/lens will fit mounted. thanks for any info.

jeff

04-19-2008, 05:25 AM   #2
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have slingshot 100, and K100D with Tamron 70-300 fits comfortably with some spare space...
PS: if you can, go to shop and try...
04-19-2008, 05:37 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by axl Quote
I have slingshot 100, and K100D with Tamron 70-300 fits comfortably with some spare space...
PS: if you can, go to shop and try...

The 50-135 is about 3/4" longer than the tamron 70-300 (I have both) so if axl has spare space with the tammy you should have no problem with the 50-135. I have the slingshot 200 and it fits a lot more gear than you would expect. Great bags and very easy to get you camera and change lenses on the fly.
04-19-2008, 07:51 AM   #4
axl
Veteran Member

3/4"

QuoteOriginally posted by bigben91682 Quote
The 50-135 is about 3/4" longer than the tamron 70-300 (I have both) so if axl has spare space with the tammy you should have no problem with the 50-135. I have the slingshot 200 and it fits a lot more gear than you would expect. Great bags and very easy to get you camera and change lenses on the fly.
3/4" we are talking 19mm right?
In that case it should fit, but would be great to try, I'm on holiday now so I can't check how much space I have in the bag with Tammy, but on thursday/friday I will be able to do so if it's still needed...

04-19-2008, 10:33 AM   #5
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hi Jeff,

I have the 200 and the fit with the 50-135 is fine but very little room to spare. I would really question whether it would fit in the 100. The 200 is a great bag and I don't consider it too big or bulky at all and I am pretty small at 5'3" 120lbs. I know there isn't anywhere around here to actually check them out but measure your camera/lens and then check the Lowepro website as they do give the internal dimensions of the bags.

By the way, where in Connecticut are you? I am just southeast of Middletown.
04-19-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by rzarbo Quote
Hi Jeff,

... The 200 is a great bag and I don't consider it too big or bulky at all and I am pretty small at 5'3" 120lbs...

I agree here, the 200 isn't by any means bulky. I find it's just right for the gear I want to carry, I feel anything smaller would be limiting in terms of storage capacity. Even loaded to the gills, it's still very comfortable to wear for a long period of time. Another thing is if you use a battery grip the 200 is a must...
04-19-2008, 11:08 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Hello Jeff, did you have a look yet on the PENTAX sling bag?, very nice and compact enough to be carried everywhere, and yes it will fit the k20D w/ the 50-135DA and 2 extra lenses. A friend of mine tried the lowepro and comapared it to the Pentax, he went for the Pentax, it's got a nice Pentax logo as well. My K100D w/ Vivitar 70-205 28yrs glass will fit in snugly.

Cheers,

Rene

04-19-2008, 11:01 PM   #8

Original Poster
wow........thanks for the great replies. I was more inclined to get the 100, since I didn't want the waist belt (which I believe comes on the 200 and 300). I went out today and tried to find one locally, but with no luck. I went to a Ritz store, and they has almost no bags. The gentleman working there said "we can order any lowepro bag you'd like!!" I said, "thanks, but I can do that from home."

The pentax sling bag looks nice, but I like the little rainproof cover built into the lowepro sling bags.

I'm currently in Bristol, CT

My 50-135 arrives on Monday, so I guess I can measure the length of lens and body.

For those of you that own the 200, is that waist strap in the way if you do not use it?

jeff
04-20-2008, 06:00 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I have the 200, and it doesn't have a waist strat. It has the main "sling" strap, and an unpadded strap witha quick releast that connects to the main strap when you are on the move (I never use it though, it's plenty comfortable without it). It's hard to explain, but this photo ( from amazons product page) gives you an idea

04-20-2008, 07:09 AM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I never use that auxillary strap either and it tucks nicely into a neat little slot on the side of the bag so it doesn't dangle and get in your way if not in use. Little things like that slot just make it a very nicely designed bag.

As you can see from the above photo that bigben posted, for a female it is not very comfortable to wear as a sling but for a man that would be much different. I usually just use it as a shoulder bag and am perfectly happy with it that way.

It is really a great (almost perfect) bag. I find the top storage pocket to almost be the best assest of the bag. Unlike other bags with pockets against the body of the bag you can actually put bigger things in there.

Good luck with your decision and congrats on the new lens.

I am in Haddam so not very far you and your right that is not anyplace around here to actually see the bags. If you don't mind a drive, Milford Camera does have a lot of bags in stock. More than anyplace else in Connecticut. Not too bad of a drive and they are right off the Milford green. But I would call first.
04-20-2008, 04:33 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Auxillary strap storage location?
Raincover ?

Thanks for the tips. I thought I read the card that came with my Lowepro 200. The auxillary strap has bothered me since I got the bag and I wish I knew about the raincover during a recent trip to Japan.
04-20-2008, 09:14 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JCorwin Quote
Will the DA 50-135 attatched to the k10 fit in the lowepro slingshot 100? I'd like to keep it small (vs. the slingshot 200 or 300) but want to make sure this camera/lens will fit mounted. thanks for any info.

jeff
The short answer is Yes. For the last three days, I have been using a Slingshot 100AW with a K10D + D-BG2 grip + one of the following lenses mounted. [DA 12-24, DA* 16-50, DA* 50-135]. The other two were one in the main compartment, the other in the small compartment. In the front filter compartment, a 77mm polarizer and my Handspring Visor PDA. Stuck into one of the loops on the outside, the large size GorillaPod. The 50-135 must be in the larger compartment, mounted or not. All lenses must have the hoods reversed.

Check this thread for some snaps (without the GorillaPod that I bought this weekend). Scroll down to post #43 on page 3 for the layout I was using this weekend. Either the 12-24 or 16-50 was in the top compartment.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-accessories/22926-lowepro-1...sling-bag.html

The snaps were taken with my cell phone - VGA and the auto white balance ain't the best neither.

The smaller strap fits into a slot at the bottom of the bag, and the 100 AW has the rain cover in the pocket at the bottom of the whole thing.

BTW, the 100AW, loaded as described, a couple of changes of underwear and socks, old man's medications, teeth breesh, library book and K10D manual plus a couple of photo magazines fitted into a sports bag along with some juice and mixed nuts. A real compact weekend kit.
04-21-2008, 12:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For a really compact, minimalist bag, the Lowepro D-RES 50AW will just fit my K10D/D-BG2/DA* 50-135 combo, with lens hood reversed.

As usual, I think Albert has the OP nailed.
04-21-2008, 03:22 AM   #14
Veteran Member

I use the auxillary strap when 'hiking' any distance or rock hopping. It stops the bag from moving which is great when you need your hands free to get someplace.

As for comfort, my wife wears it on occasion, and she's a lot more well endowed (she got bigger boobs is what I mean!) than that 'model' and she has never complained, however, we're used to wearing seat belts in this country so she's probably used to the effects of seat belt cleavage! Something you would get used to I'd imagine.
04-21-2008, 11:22 AM   #15

Original Poster
thanks again for all the great replies. Albert, I don't think you can fit anything else in that bag!! Looks like you've got it figured out pretty well. Well, today is my birthday, so I will be ordering one of these bags as a present for myself (and actually today the UPS man will be delivering my DA*50-135, so I guess that's 2 presents) Thanks for all the great input, I really think this bag will make it much easier to go hiking with my camera stuff.

jeff