Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2014, 03:34 AM   #1

Best Travel Tripod

Hi Guys,

I'm looking to buy a decent travel tripod for an upcoming trip to Bangkok and Australia. Previously I have used my Gorillapod SLR Zoom when travelling but this just isn't enough and I need a proper tripod. My main tripod is a Redsnapper but this is big and bulky - too much so to travel with.

My main requirements are weight and size when folded - it must be really light and fold up as small as possible.

I've done some extensive research so far and I think it's between the following -
  • Redged 525k
  • Manfrotto Befree
  • MeFoto RoadTrip
  • Benro Travel Angel

It's looking like the Redged is the winner, especially based on the reviews in this thread - Best compact travel tripod, just | Talk Photography.

The only downside to the Redged and the Manfrotto are that they only go about 4 feet high and I am 6"1 but I don't see that as being much of an issue as most of my landscape shots are taken from a low perspective anyhow.

Does anyone have any experience with the Redged or the others on my list?

Cheers

Alex

03-18-2014, 04:36 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Also take a look at the Sirui T-025x travel tripod.

Sirui T-025x Travel Tripod Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

That's the full in-depth review, and at 11 pages, should be fairly comprehensive. Three of the four tripods were also referred to and compared against in the 10th page of that review you might appreciate.

Disclaimer - I am the sole author of that review, so yes, I would strongly recommend the T-025x.

-Heie
03-18-2014, 04:44 AM   #3
Inactive Account

There is also GorillaPod Focus model that can hold up to 5kg and have a lot of accessories for great versatility.
03-18-2014, 05:20 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I do not have the Redged, but I did try it out when looking for my travel tripod and it did look very good. But I got another one, the Redged TSA322K, as I do not need a tall tripod while traveling (I also have a monopod). And if the quality of the 525 is the same as my 322, it will be of very good quality.

03-18-2014, 06:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sharepointalex Quote
I'm looking to buy a decent travel tripod for an upcoming trip to Bangkok and Australia. Previously I have used my Gorillapod SLR Zoom when travelling but this just isn't enough and I need a proper tripod. My main tripod is a Redsnapper but this is big and bulky - too much so to travel with.

My main requirements are weight and size when folded - it must be really light and fold up as small as possible.

I've done some extensive research so far and I think it's between the following -
  • Redged 525k
  • Manfrotto Befree
  • MeFoto RoadTrip
  • Benro Travel Angel
I have a little experience with travel tripods...

The basic gist (until I finish writing the reviews) is that you can cross the Manfrotto off unless you prefer flip-locks and a heavy and short tripod. The MeFoto and Benro are basically the same product, but I think the MeFoto is cheaper. I'd recommend the MeFoto Roadtrip in carbon.

QuoteOriginally posted by sharepointalex Quote
Does anyone have any experience with the Redged or the others on my list?
No direct experience with the Redged, but I do know they are made by Yuequing, who also make the tripods for Triopo, Vanguard, Horusbennu, and many others. Not bad tripods, but maybe a little worse than Benro and Sirui. Consider the price you're paying, and whether it's for a name or a feature.

Look at the Horusbennu CX-2531 "Hobbit" for the cheaper (but identical) equivalent of that Redged model, or take Heie's advice and try the Sirui 025x, which is probably the best balance of size, weight and stability for that price.

Last edited by panoguy; 03-18-2014 at 07:11 AM.
03-18-2014, 08:10 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Also take a look at the Sirui T-025x travel tripod.

Sirui T-025x Travel Tripod Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

That's the full in-depth review, and at 11 pages, should be fairly comprehensive. Three of the four tripods were also referred to and compared against in the 10th page of that review you might appreciate.

Disclaimer - I am the sole author of that review, so yes, I would strongly recommend the T-025x.

-Heie
I bought it and i´m very happy with mine.
I can recommend it. But until now i only took day-hikes.
Soon i will visit the west of the USA for a few weeks and it will be tested properly.
03-18-2014, 11:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Induro. Look at Induro.

I've had 3LT (Brian). No brand bashing permitted here but I will state fact that a leg fell off after a dozen outings. Fact.

03-18-2014, 06:06 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Of those listed, I have the MePhoto RoadTrip in aluminum. It is sturdy and has twin-knob action on the ball head. The twist-locks are solid. I would choose the carbon-fiber version if I had to carry it full-time.
03-19-2014, 05:21 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also have the MeFoto in aluminum. Ditto what AquaDome says.
03-19-2014, 09:42 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Taking another look at the Siriu as reviewed by Heie, it folds down to under 13 inches. That would fit in my camera bag.
The MeFoto is slightly too long to fit in a regular camera bag, but it has a nice zipper case.
Being able to keep everything in one bag makes the single tension knob on the Siriu forgivable.
The additional tension knob on the MeFoto makes it difficult to get the legs to fold all the way flush. Ultimately, the MeFoto tripod is made to be carried in its own zipper case.
The Siriu is looking more elegant to me. For the price, I would get the carbon-fiber Siriu over the carbon-fiber MeFoto.

The plate for the MePhoto doesn't fit in any other tripod head I have, and no other plate I have will fit in its jaws.
I cannot vouch for what will or won't fit in the Siriu head, but it claims Acra Swiss compatability.
Being a travel tripod, interchangeability may not be necessary.