Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2014, 03:26 PM   #1

Eyefi and K3 Portrait

After a couple months with the K3 I finally dug out the 8GB eyefi card I hadn't used in a while. Set up the K3 to put RAW on SD1 and XS JPGs on the Eyefi.

Within the usual frustrations I have with eyefi, this more or less works, sending the JPGs over to my new iPad

However I have noticed that any portrait oriented shots were not being properly rotated, and landscapes were coming in upside down and then flipped.

Ugh.

Stuck the eyefi in the K5IIs and shot. No such issues. Works as intended. Portrait rotated, and landscape didn't need to flip.

Anyone else?

Anyone use alternatives like ShutterSnitch with their K3/eyefi?

03-18-2014, 04:21 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Sounds like a firmware issue. Do you have the latest firmware for the K3? and have you checked for updates to the Eyefi ap that's on your iPad?
03-18-2014, 04:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
No, everything is up to date.
03-18-2014, 05:09 PM   #4
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
And you have enabled image rotation in the menu?

03-18-2014, 05:20 PM   #5

Original Poster
No, and it isn't on in the K5 either. That just affects image display on the LCD (yup, I tested it too).

All other programs don't have this problem, just EyeFi.

---------- Post added 03-18-14 at 08:25 PM ----------

K3 is not in their officially supported list I just noticed. Well that's a bummer.

---------- Post added 03-18-14 at 08:42 PM ----------

I've sent EyeFi support a note, but I'm still curious if anyone else has this problem or has overcome it.

Also still very interested in ShutterSnitch experiences with K3.

Ty
03-19-2014, 09:23 AM   #6

Original Poster
Reply from Eye-Fi support:

QuoteQuote:
The problem you are currently seeing is not related to your K3 but to the newest iOS 7.1 update. We are aware of a bug between our application and iOS 7.1 where some photos do not have the proper orientation. We are presently looking into what the cause of this bug is so that we can determine the best course of action in correcting it.

Although for me the problem is not evident with the K5IIs just the K3.

Will keep this post up to date with any changes.

03-20-2014, 07:10 AM   #7

Original Poster
I've been in touch with EyeFi support who it turns out is aware of the problem as noted above, and that it is not limited to the K3.

Apparently it's an issue with iOS7.1 in general, althgough they were surprised to hear images off the K5IIs were not exhibiting the problem.

I ran some tests, including importing via Dropbox a K3 JPG off a regular SD card (to remove EyeFi from the equation) into the iPad, and sure enough it did not orient correctly to portrait.

It did display correctly in the Dropbox preview, but not in iOS's photo viewer.

Last edited by gryhnd; 03-20-2014 at 07:37 AM. Reason: update
03-25-2014, 08:53 AM   #8

Original Poster
Today: "We are currently working to see if we can come up with a fix for the problem in the meantime. We are unsure if we can get the app to correct the problem before iOS fixes the issue with a new update."