Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2014, 02:04 AM   #1
Veteran Member
hmirchev's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 332
Which backpack to choose?

So I'm looking to buy a decent-size camera backpack and I've been looking at the Case Logic DCB-309 and the Case Logic SLRC-206. Have any of you used either one and which would you say is better? Which can hold more gear and which is more comfortable? I'd appreciate any other backpack suggestions as well for backpacks of that size/price range as well. Thanks

03-21-2014, 06:00 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Oldbayrunner's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kingsville, MD
Posts: 1,418
Camera Backpacks | Airback Heavy Backpack Solution This is the most comfortable camera backpack I have ever owned. Read the about section.

B & H pricing

AirBac Technologies Focus Backpack (Black) FCS-BK B&H Photo

AirBac Technologies Zoom Bag (Black) ZOM-BK B&H Photo Video
03-21-2014, 06:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: May 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN
Posts: 2,867
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
I have a larger case logic sling (dcb-308) which I like - they are well made, my only complaint is that when it is completely full the strap is a little on the thin/cutting end of the comfort scale, but that is absolutely stuffed (d600, 70-300, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, tokina 16-28 2.8, 10 inch tablet and a bunch of other things in the top pack, probably pushing 20lbs) - but that is on one strap too.
03-21-2014, 08:40 AM   #4
New Member
caffeinetherapy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 10
+1 on the DCB-308. I love the ability to rotate the bag around to the front while still wearing it, to access the sling's contents with the side zippered opening.

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I have a larger case logic sling (dcb-308) which I like - they are well made, my only complaint is that when it is completely full the strap is a little on the thin/cutting end of the comfort scale, but that is absolutely stuffed (d600, 70-300, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, tokina 16-28 2.8, 10 inch tablet and a bunch of other things in the top pack, probably pushing 20lbs) - but that is on one strap too.


03-21-2014, 11:08 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian
Oldbayrunner's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kingsville, MD
Posts: 1,418
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I have a larger case logic sling (dcb-308) which I like - they are well made, my only complaint is that when it is completely full the strap is a little on the thin/cutting end of the comfort scale, but that is absolutely stuffed (d600, 70-300, 85mm 1.8, 50mm 1.8, tokina 16-28 2.8, 10 inch tablet and a bunch of other things in the top pack, probably pushing 20lbs) - but that is on one strap too.
What I carry in my airbac;

In the lower portion I have my K50, Sigma 17-70mm DC Hsm macro. Tamron SP 90mm Di macro, Pentax DA 55-300mm wr. Pentax 18-55mm wr, Pentax 50-200mm wr.

Upper portion Pentax smc-f 35-70mm, Ricoh 50mm F2, Ricoh 50mm f1.4, 72mm multi filter case, multi close up filter case, filters, cables, manuals, extra lens hoods, Rocket blower and a bunch of other stuff, also in in the side and front pouches. so also pushing around 20lbs. The straps are well padded and with the inflatable lower lumbar air bag, which by the way can be deflated and fit in a water pack with drinking tube, it is completely adjustable for personal comfort. .

I grew up taking 10,20, 50 & 100 mile wilderness hikes so i know the benefit of a comfortable pack and adjustable weight distribution as normally I would carry between 25 to an excess of 50lbs. For that kind of comfort there is usually a price tag to go with it.. I took a 5 mile up and down trail hike with my full gear and Manfrotto tripod today and could barely feel the weight, which is how it should be. That is what this pack is designed for, less weight on the shoulders and the feeling of carrying less weight.. With any other bag I have owned I would have had to cut the weight by carrying less gear just to get reasonable comfort. At 66 years old to me this is the most comfortable camera bag I personally have used especially at this price range. Are there others that can be adjusted comfortably, sure but I don't believe so at the price these are.

BTW. I do keep a Lowerpro 202 AW sling bag usually for in city jaunts when I want to go light.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 03-21-2014 at 11:26 AM.
03-21-2014, 06:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member
hmirchev's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 332
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldbayrunner Quote
What I carry in my airbac;

In the lower portion I have my K50, Sigma 17-70mm DC Hsm macro. Tamron SP 90mm Di macro, Pentax DA 55-300mm wr. Pentax 18-55mm wr, Pentax 50-200mm wr.

Upper portion Pentax smc-f 35-70mm, Ricoh 50mm F2, Ricoh 50mm f1.4, 72mm multi filter case, multi close up filter case, filters, cables, manuals, extra lens hoods, Rocket blower and a bunch of other stuff, also in in the side and front pouches. so also pushing around 20lbs. The straps are well padded and with the inflatable lower lumbar air bag, which by the way can be deflated and fit in a water pack with drinking tube, it is completely adjustable for personal comfort. .

I grew up taking 10,20, 50 & 100 mile wilderness hikes so i know the benefit of a comfortable pack and adjustable weight distribution as normally I would carry between 25 to an excess of 50lbs. For that kind of comfort there is usually a price tag to go with it.. I took a 5 mile up and down trail hike with my full gear and Manfrotto tripod today and could barely feel the weight, which is how it should be. That is what this pack is designed for, less weight on the shoulders and the feeling of carrying less weight.. With any other bag I have owned I would have had to cut the weight by carrying less gear just to get reasonable comfort. At 66 years old to me this is the most comfortable camera bag I personally have used especially at this price range. Are there others that can be adjusted comfortably, sure but I don't believe so at the price these are.

BTW. I do keep a Lowerpro 202 AW sling bag usually for in city jaunts when I want to go light.
seems like this bag can hold a lot of gear which is what i'm after. is the padding inside good and is the material durable? i'll be taking it to europe in the summer with all of my camera gear, K10D, battery grip, 8 lenses, a small film camera, one film SLR, and a bunch of film rolls..plus i'd like to carry a small laptop and external hard drive as well as my documents. do you think all of these will fit?

oh and i forgot to add that i'll need space for the chargers for the camera and laptop as well
03-22-2014, 06:03 AM   #7
Pentaxian
Oldbayrunner's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kingsville, MD
Posts: 1,418
Unfortunately it is not designed to carry a laptop. Plus it would be a stretch with all of the gear your talking. To my knowledge Case Logics doen't make a bag to carry all that either. What is your max budget for a camera bag that would suit purpose, that would help with suggestions.

03-22-2014, 06:38 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Arjay Bee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bamaga, QLD
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,390
For all that gear you may like to check out the naneu k3 Naneu Pro Adventure K3 Large Backpack
03-22-2014, 07:24 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Oldbayrunner's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kingsville, MD
Posts: 1,418
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
For all that gear you may like to check out the naneu k3 Naneu Pro Adventure K3 Large Backpack
From what I read it wont hold what he is looking for one to hold.

Digital SLR with a short zoom (up to 5.0" long) attached, plus four small lenses or two longer lenses (up to 6.0" long), a flash, spare batteries and other accessories, and a laptop

Ideally either the 400 or 600 series of this would hold what he is looking for, pricey but well worth it for serious travel/trekking.
http://www.lowepro.com/protrekker

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 03-22-2014 at 08:05 AM.
03-22-2014, 11:04 AM   #10
Veteran Member
hmirchev's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 332
Original Poster
I gave it some thought and decided to take a 35, 50, 50(macro), 55, 85, and a 200
03-22-2014, 11:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member
hmirchev's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 332
Original Poster
okay so I found a good condition backpack on CL for $125 but the guy will let me have it for $100. It's a Think Tank Streetwalker HardDrive , do you think it's worth it? Seems like a pretty good size and nice build/materials...
03-23-2014, 04:42 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Oldbayrunner's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kingsville, MD
Posts: 1,418
QuoteOriginally posted by hmirchev Quote
okay so I found a good condition backpack on CL for $125 but the guy will let me have it for $100. It's a Think Tank Streetwalker HardDrive , do you think it's worth it? Seems like a pretty good size and nice build/materials...
Think Tank is a well made camera bag and well worth the $100.00. If it has the thin waist strap you may want to consider upgrading it to one of the optional padded straps for a little more comfort if you plan on carrying the pack for long periods of time.
03-26-2014, 11:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member
hmirchev's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 332
Original Poster
so...the guy sold the bag anyway, now i'm looking at lowepro flipside 400AW. any thoughts?
03-26-2014, 11:44 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 16,925
I have a love hate relationship with backpacks, and I recommend before you purchase anything, sit down carefully and think about what you are going to really use it for.

The big issue with backpacks is the harness(I.e. Straps).

I have a proper internal frame hiking pack rated for about 20 kilos, that I bought inthe early 1980's for occasions when I wanted to pack my kit. It has an excellent harness where the shoulder straps connect to the bottom frame, through an intermediate strap, which can be adjusted so the bottom of the pack is at your hips, where the belt should be, to transfer most of the load directly to your hips. The shoulder straps then carry only 20% of the load, are correctly located! and the chest strap is in the correct position across your central rib cage.

You want a pack that can be set up this way.

I have since bought 3 different lowepro bags, for different purposes. I have a lowepro photo trekker which has a good harness, similar to my old hiking pack. But it is a big bag, meant to carry a lot of gear into a location. I have used it to travel as well, but then switch to smaller shoulder bags for day outings.

I have a lowepro computrekker which has a laptop slot for a 13 inch laptop, between your back and the real photo bag. There are two issues with this, first there is no harness, the shoulder straps are sown directily to the top of the bag, and since the bag is smaller, I.e. Shorter, you can have two options. Either the waist belt is correctly located at your hips, but then the shoulder straps are adjusted too long, and you are at or beyond the end of the padded straps, and the chest strap is at your neck, or the shoulder straps are adjusted correctly, but then your shoulders take 100% of the load and the waist strap is up around your stomach. The other issue with computer photo bags is the space for the computer pushes the load of the cameras further off your back by about 2 inches, making it really uncomfortable, and tiring. Also since the bag is 2 inches thicker than a regular photo bag, it is really awkward to walk around in tight quarters, you bump into a lot of things with the bag, and forget about going into stores.

My last pack is a microtrekker. It has all the strap issues of the computrekker, but is smaller so you do not load as much into it, and it is 2 inches thinner since it is not holding a laptop. What it holds is the following, either 2 Pentax DSLRs with intermediate lenses (I use a sigma 10-20 and tamron 28-75) mountd, plus an uncounted 70-200/2.8 and a space for a TC, or one body with the 70-200/2.8 plus TC mounted, and the other body and 2 shorter lenses uncounted. While this bag carries my minimum kit, and I use it a lot it is still not really comfortable.

The bottom line is get a bag that fits your body, waist belt on your hips, shoulder and chest straps comfortable. Forget about what every one else uses, because unless their body is exactly the same as yours, their recommendation may be just no good at all.
03-26-2014, 11:52 PM   #15
Veteran Member
hmirchev's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 332
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I have a love hate relationship with backpacks, and I recommend before you purchase anything, sit down carefully and think about what you are going to really use it for.

The big issue with backpacks is the harness(I.e. Straps).

I have a proper internal frame hiking pack rated for about 20 kilos, that I bought inthe early 1980's for occasions when I wanted to pack my kit. It has an excellent harness where the shoulder straps connect to the bottom frame, through an intermediate strap, which can be adjusted so the bottom of the pack is at your hips, where the belt should be, to transfer most of the load directly to your hips. The shoulder straps then carry only 20% of the load, are correctly located! and the chest strap is in the correct position across your central rib cage.

You want a pack that can be set up this way.

I have since bought 3 different lowepro bags, for different purposes. I have a lowepro photo trekker which has a good harness, similar to my old hiking pack. But it is a big bag, meant to carry a lot of gear into a location. I have used it to travel as well, but then switch to smaller shoulder bags for day outings.

I have a lowepro computrekker which has a laptop slot for a 13 inch laptop, between your back and the real photo bag. There are two issues with this, first there is no harness, the shoulder straps are sown directily to the top of the bag, and since the bag is smaller, I.e. Shorter, you can have two options. Either the waist belt is correctly located at your hips, but then the shoulder straps are adjusted too long, and you are at or beyond the end of the padded straps, and the chest strap is at your neck, or the shoulder straps are adjusted correctly, but then your shoulders take 100% of the load and the waist strap is up around your stomach. The other issue with computer photo bags is the space for the computer pushes the load of the cameras further off your back by about 2 inches, making it really uncomfortable, and tiring. Also since the bag is 2 inches thicker than a regular photo bag, it is really awkward to walk around in tight quarters, you bump into a lot of things with the bag, and forget about going into stores.

My last pack is a microtrekker. It has all the strap issues of the computrekker, but is smaller so you do not load as much into it, and it is 2 inches thinner since it is not holding a laptop. What it holds is the following, either 2 Pentax DSLRs with intermediate lenses (I use a sigma 10-20 and tamron 28-75) mountd, plus an uncounted 70-200/2.8 and a space for a TC, or one body with the 70-200/2.8 plus TC mounted, and the other body and 2 shorter lenses uncounted. While this bag carries my minimum kit, and I use it a lot it is still not really comfortable.

The bottom line is get a bag that fits your body, waist belt on your hips, shoulder and chest straps comfortable. Forget about what every one else uses, because unless their body is exactly the same as yours, their recommendation may be just no good at all.
that's true...maybe i'll just visit a camera store to try out some backpacks and then look for better prices online..

i decided to take a bit less equipment, probably a tablet instead of a laptop, and only a few lenses..i really like the airbac backpacks because of how their straps are designed for comfort, but the outside walls seem a little bit too thin...
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
backpack, logic, tripod
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which to choose Jeff Self Visitors' Center 6 09-30-2013 11:15 AM
Considering different Kenko teleconverters, need input on which to choose larshalvar Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 11-24-2012 07:46 AM
Which to choose: Tamron 28-300mm or Sigma 18-250mm Lex Madera Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 8 07-13-2012 03:12 PM
Which filter to choose? marius Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 4 08-05-2008 08:52 AM
Help me to choose which lenses to buy eurostar Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 6 01-06-2007 05:44 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:05 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top