Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2014, 05:41 AM   #1
Forum Member

[FIXED]Pentax DBG4 pin stuck

Hello
So recently I got a used Pentax D-BG4 which works fine for the most part but I noticed on stuck pin in the connector. At first it seemed to make no difference but then I noticed something when I used the pentax battery in there. The charge read-out is wrong and I think the pin has to do with it since everything else works it's probably the one responsible for getting the charge info over.
So when I use the battery in the body it says it's almost fully charged, but when used in the grip, it says it's almost empty.
If I use AA batteries in the grip however it works fine, so I'm guessing the two battery types use different pins for charge read-outs.

So in short, everything works, but the pentax battery read out. I don't know if it negativly impacts the function yet though.

Anyway, has anyone any idea how to get it unstuck without opening it?
I already tried, but holy c**p, this thing has more screws and interlocked parts than an aircraft, so I put it back together before I forgot where everything goes back together.

Here's a pic of the connector:
Name:  $_4.JPG
Views: 431
Size:  27.8 KB

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by pfannkuchen_gesicht; 03-23-2014 at 04:12 AM.
03-22-2014, 06:21 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The grip is weather sealed, so I wouldn't recommend disassembling it. If you can't work the pin free with a pair of thin tweezers or pliers, I would send it off for repair. Otherwise, you may compromise the weather sealing if you attempt disassembly yourself.
03-22-2014, 06:26 AM   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a pinout chart for the D-BG2, which is different from yours (fewer pins). However, the pin that carries voltage on the BG2 is one in the lower right/upper left (depending on the orientation) corner, so it's certainly conceivable that it's the same on the BG4.
03-22-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
alright, so I got the pin unstuck at last but the battery charge read out issue is still there. Any ideas why that could be?

03-23-2014, 05:46 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by brofkand Quote
The grip is weather sealed, so I wouldn't recommend disassembling it. If you can't work the pin free with a pair of thin tweezers or pliers, I would send it off for repair. Otherwise, you may compromise the weather sealing if you attempt disassembly yourself.
yeah well, that advice is a little late. But anyway I don't think it is, there are foam strips on the edges of the seams, so unless you rip them off you should be fine, they were not glued either so no need to do so when re-assembling. You have to be careful with the metal plate though, there are two rubber rings you can easily miss.
05-24-2018, 09:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi, my bg5 has I loose and one stuck pin again. I sent it in for repair when on warranty but before sending it again, I would like to know if the pins are useful. Where can I get the pinout for the bg5 ?

Thanks