Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-23-2014, 12:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Smelly strap question

Hi,

I sweat a lot and living in the hot tropic doesn't exactly help. That is the price for year round summer. After all these years, the straps of my dslrs are quite smelly. I was thinking: Has anyone used Febreeze on the OEM straps? Will that work? Any other recommendations?

Thanks!

03-23-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Get an Op/Tech neoprene padded strap. When they get sweaty just unclip and toss it in washer. OP/TECH USA | Leading manufacturer of neoprene camera straps
03-23-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Replace' em!

Hello Ismael,
I don't know about the smell, but once my straps start to show some wear around the camera lug area, I ditch' em. My nightmare is having the strap break while I'm moving around with it on my shoulder. OOoppps!
So, unless someone here has a good idea for deodorizing your strap, I'd say buy a new one. I see OEM, either the red/black or black/silver (my favorite, even though they have a bad rep for 'sawing' into your shoulder) straps on eBay all the time for less than $ 10.00 USD. Cheap insurance!
There's only a few parts of the camera system that actually 'wear out' like tires on a car. Straps are one.
JMO,
Ron
03-23-2014, 12:35 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

You don't need a neoprene strap to be able to toss it in the wash machine. The only one's that you can't wash are those made of leather. FWIW, I use the canvas Domke "Gripper" strap. They are sturdy, washable and don't seem to retain odors.

Steve

03-23-2014, 01:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lock it in a box with a glass of vinegar. It will smell like vinegar for a short while but it will most likely neutralize that body odor smell.
03-23-2014, 03:08 PM   #6
Dark Underlord
Loyal Site Supporter

Febreze would probably work, if your skin can tolerate being in contact with the chemicals.
If a strap can't go through the wash, its either collectible or disposable.
03-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
You could also try baking soda. Lay out some newspaper, sprinkle a layer of baking soda on the paper; lay the strap on the baking soda and then sprinkle a thick layer over top of the strap. Wrap up in paper and let sit for a couple of days, brush off strap and check for odor.