Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2008, 05:32 PM   #1
Forum Member

HELP me chose a camera bag.

In preparation for the nice spring/summer weather am looking to buy a camera bag so I can take my equipment along when I go on trips/ hiking/etc as well as storing all my camera stuff in one nice neat place.

I am considering between the Tamrac Expedition 4 ( or maybe the expedition 5 if I can get a deal) or the Tamrac Adventure 7.

I like the Expedition series because they seem to provide ample storage in a compact , well organized space and they DEFINITELY seem like it would able to store all my gear. In addition I like the tripod carrying system , but that's not a deal breaker or maker for me...

Downside : the expedition series LOOKS somewhat conspicuous ( I would rather not announce that I may have expensive camera equipment on me... IF I can avoid it) Also, i find it amazing it doesn't seem to have a built in side mesh or something to hold a water bottle, you have to buy this attachment separately). Most importantly .. though I don't have much experience with this... it is NOT top loading so it would seem that in order to get my camera out I would always have to find a place to lay the bag down? Despite all this I would probably be quite satisfied with the bag if it holds all my equipment neatly, but I want to make the best informed decision I can.

I started considering the Adventure 7. Though it doesn't have the tripod carrying system , it seems more stealthy; I don't know if I would be able to sling it, but at least it's top loading... so that may help take the camera out more quickly if I had to and the backpack/mesh area could come in handy. I would probably opt for this one but I just cant figure out, comparatively, how much gear it could hold from the descriptions given at the Tamrac/ sellers site ::sighs::

Does anyone here OWN A TAMRAC ADVENTURE 7? Would you say it could hold the following simultaneously: (one Pentax k10d with attached 3.5" lens) , (one 5.5" lens), (one 2.5" lens) (another 3.5"lens) and a 560FGz flash unit? I know for a fact the Expedition series will hold all this but would opt for the Adventure if it had the same hauling capacity.

Also.. is it difficult to take out the camera from the Adventure 7 WHILE STANDING ?

Thanks all....

04-20-2008, 07:27 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Dresden Phoenix, I own the Adventure 7 model and used last year while hiking in the Great Smokey Mountains National Park. At that time I was using an Olympus OM-1 with a Zuiko 35-70mm Zoom Marco lens attached and a carrying a Zuiko75-150mm, Flash, along with about ten filters. I don't think you would be able to get "(one Pentax k10d with attached 3.5" lens) , (one 5.5" lens), (one 2.5" lens) (another 3.5"lens) and a 560FGz flash unit" in the bottom "Camera" section of the bag. You might have to put one of the lens or the flash in the top section.

Things to note:
1) The top section does not have dividers, only the bottom section does.
2) It does have a mesh pocket on each side that that can be used for carrying water bottles.
3) To access the camera or anything else in the bottom section you do have to take the backpack off.
4) There are two molded plastic slits on the outside bottom of the bag that will accommodate straps for carrying a tripod. Just remember that will mean that the bag cannot be set down that way while the tripod is attached. Straps can be order from Tamrac or you can even pick up another brand at a hiking/camping out fitters.

With that said I do like it for the longer four to eight hour hikes. For shorter one to four hour hikes, like I will be doing this week at the GSMNP Wildflower Pilgrimage this coming week, I will be using my Tamrac Velocity 7.

I believe LowPro make a backpack that will allow you to pull the camera out through a side pocket without removing the backpack, so you may want to check them out.

Hope this helps.