Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2014, 09:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What type of ballhead it this?

Has anyone seen this ballhead before? I saw it earlier on promediagear.com but there is no info about the ballhead. I have tried searching google images for it and cannot find a thing about it.

Attached Images

03-26-2014, 10:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It looks serious! I'm curious now, too.
03-26-2014, 10:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
It is probably included with the gimbal mount, or it is simply a future product they intend to sell ( l hope they don't, because to my eyes it doesn't look all that well designed) . The fact that there isn't much information about any of their products makes me a bit wary. Personally to support a gimbal arm I would use the RRS B55 - even in their own videos they are using a photoclam ball head.

Last edited by Digitalis; 03-26-2014 at 10:49 PM.
03-26-2014, 11:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't know about supporting a gimbal assembly, but the flat base area above the panning axis looks like a handy spot to attach some kind of [temporary?] auxiliary support for longer lenses without stout tripod collars, yielding more final stability. Just a thought...

03-26-2014, 11:51 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It really looks like an attempt for a multi function gimbal head, whee you cat take the curved arm and vertical pivot of the gimbal off and mount a smaller camera / lens combo in place,

While it may seem attractive, the pivot at the ball head to panning mount will lead to a real lack of stability and vibration, negating the benifits of the gimbal, and when used as a ball head, it has the load off center of the tripod, also not a good idea.

Likely thought up by somebody who does not understand the real needs for shooting any focal length and good camera support
03-27-2014, 03:56 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
the pivot at the ball head to panning mount will lead to a real lack of stability and vibration, negating the benifits of the gimbal, and when used as a ball head, it has the load off center of the tripod, also not a good idea
I agree - it doesn't look stable enough to handle really long lenses.
03-27-2014, 04:02 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The ball head look interesting. Normal ball heads does only have a pan function in addition to the ball, but this one have both pan and tilt. Is there any more information about it?

03-27-2014, 05:21 AM   #8
Pentaxian

There's a ball head in there? So many screws and joints, I can barely tell...

Actually, it just looks like a slight variation on the old Gitzo "sideways" ball:

EDIT: it's from Promediagear, so I am counting the minutes until some local rabid users of their stuff come and use ALL CAPS to say how great it is. Whatever it is...

Last edited by panoguy; 03-27-2014 at 07:28 AM.
03-28-2014, 04:13 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I contacted promediagear themselves to find out who makes the ballhead and they knidly replied.

"Hi Paul,
The ball head that is pictured with the Tomahawk is actually our very own ProMediaGear ball head.

It is still not available for sale but should be in a couple weeks.
As soon as we posted it for sale on our website we will send you an email.

Let us know if you need anything else. Thank You !

Sincerely,
Tom@promediagear.com
ProMediaGear.com"
04-01-2014, 08:06 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

It's already on their front page.