Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2014, 07:16 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monoloco Quote
You could attach a small piece of 3/4'" plywood to the fence with a couple of spring clamps or c-clamps then attach the ball head to the plywood. It wouldn't mar the fence at all.
Yes, that is true I could do that, maybe.

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
The clamp cannot be closed when there is an object (fence board) between the jaws.
The clamp cannot be closed? How would you attach it to something other than a fence post, if it doesn't close? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of it being a clamp?

03-28-2014, 08:13 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
The clamp cannot be closed? How would you attach it to something other than a fence post, if it doesn't close? Doesn't that defeat the purpose of it being a clamp?
Ha ha! The clamp's jaws may be tightly wrapped about an object, but they are still "open" with respect to the "closed" position with nothing in between the jaws.

Look at the geometry. When the clamp's jaws are as close to each other as possible, the flat backs of the clamp, one on each side of the hinge, form a common plane. As the jaws are spread apart, those two flat backs form a "V" with the hinge in the middle. The further the jaws are spread apart, the steeper the "V". That would interfere with the flat bottom of a tripod head.

Imagine a door. It is only closed when it is in its pocket in the wall. Then the door and the wall are flat, in the same plane. Open the door. Put a large book in the door jamb. Try to close the door, you cannot. The door is still open with the book clamped between the door and the wall/jamb. The wall and the door form a shallow "V" with the hinge in the center (vertex). The bigger the book, the steeper the "V". You could not mount a head on the inside of the "V" and have it sit flat on both the door and wall.

I can draw a picture and post it Saturday if you would like.

Last edited by lmd91343; 03-28-2014 at 08:19 PM.
03-28-2014, 08:23 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks I get it. I wouldn't be doing photography if I couldn't "see" what I'm seeing in the viewfinder if I couldn't figure out that simple explanation you gave me above.

Last edited by photolady95; 03-28-2014 at 08:32 PM.
03-28-2014, 08:38 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't understand myself most of the time.

Get the device that both Larry and I have. It will do double duty as you can use it in the car also.

03-28-2014, 08:57 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The other one Larry posted about looks like it clamps side ways. The camera would be titled that way and I don't want it titled sideways, or vertically. It only shows one photo and no way to tell exactly how it would look clamped to a vertical board.
For the standard Superclamp (which was also part of the kit I linked to), you'd mount a ballhead so it would come out parallel to the ground when the clamp is attached to the top of your fence. When mounted to something vertical like your fence board, you can still aim in all directions with a ball head. In some ways it might not be as convenient as a clamp that lets you mount the ballhead upright on your fence, but it's still very workable. They're also rock solid.

You can see the setup below (to use a ballhead with a superclamp, you need the short stud, not the 'standard stud'...Manfrotto 2909 Super Clamp with 2907 Reversible Short Stud 2909). Cheaper 'knock-offs' are also available. It might not suit your needs though
Attached Images

03-28-2014, 09:07 PM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
lmd91343, with me it helps that my late husband was a contractor and we built houses together.

Brian, okay you and Larry have me convinced the one Larry posted is the one I should buy.

Now about that ballhead. I don't have one and don't know what is best without breaking my piggy bank. Any suggestions on that too?
03-28-2014, 10:14 PM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

How much weight are you putting on it?

I bought a cheap ballhead off ebay for my window mount, it works just fine for the limited use and I am attending it while sitting in the car.
I wouldnt put anything too heavy but it holds my DA*300 and camera well.
KS 0 Metal Ball Head Quick Release Plate for Monopod Tripod Stand Camera DV SLR | eBay

If you are putting something heavy on, the weak point may be your fence, not the clamp and ballhead - so take care.

03-28-2014, 10:17 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you have a ball head on your tripod?
03-28-2014, 11:35 PM   #24
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks Larry. I can check KEH for a ballhead. I don't do ebay. All I'm putting on this is my K-30 and a Sigma 70-300mm DL Super macro lens. This lens isn't as heavy as my other Sigma 70-300mm macro.

No, lmd91343, I don't have a ballhead. I have a this:

Manfrotto 391RC2 Junior 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head (Black) 391RC2 B&H
03-29-2014, 07:21 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Larry. I can check KEH for a ballhead. I don't do ebay. All I'm putting on this is my K-30 and a Sigma 70-300mm DL Super macro lens. This lens isn't as heavy as my other Sigma 70-300mm macro.

No, lmd91343, I don't have a ballhead. I have a this:

Manfrotto 391RC2 Junior 3-Way Pan/Tilt Head (Black) 391RC2 B&H
The head you have will work fine!
03-29-2014, 09:10 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Check this website for some other ideas.
http://www.b-hague.co.uk/vanguard_ph240_window_clamp_with_ball_levelling_head.htm
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0034361JO?pc_redir=1395728680&robot_redir=1
Camera Mounting Brackets and Clamps
After thinking about it some I probably would make something that hooks over the fence out of parts from the hardware store and bolt a ball head to my contraption.
03-29-2014, 03:18 PM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
The head you have will work fine!
No. I didn't want to use this because it needs replacing. The flat part where the QR is held, tends to not stay flat, it rises up and that makes the camera crooked. And tightening it has no effect. I've had this head for about four years now. And eventually I'll replace it.

Larry, I've put the Vanguard in my wish list at Amazon. I think this would work great and since it comes with a head I don't have to buy a separate ballhead. Which would make buying a pod and ballhead about the same price.
05-11-2014, 08:00 PM   #28

Photos: Gallery
Cullmann travel set

I have a Cullmann travel set that has a clamp, tripod, ground peg, suction cup, and wood screw. They all interconnect. Works great. Mine is from 1982! They recently redesigned a bunch of their parts. I don't know how good the new one is.

M
05-11-2014, 10:37 PM   #29
Veteran Member

You could use this and add a small ball head to the threaded screw:

Museum of Useful Things - C-Clamp Camera Tripod
05-14-2014, 04:03 PM   #30
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for the other suggestions but I've moved on to other things now and not interested in this option any more.