Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2014, 12:51 PM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a question to anyone who uses a car pod

uses a car pod. Like the on in the link below:

http://www.amazon.com/Alpen-Car-Window-Mounting-Device/dp/B000MF4I7O/ref=pd_...AQMR8FTFJFBRYN

What I want to use it for is not my car but our backyard board fence. I hate toting my heavy tripod outside trying to set it up close to the fence hoping it's level and not sinking into the soft sand in our yard. The description gives the demensions but I want to know if the opening that clamps to the window would be wide enough for a board, 1 3/8 inch thick?

03-28-2014, 01:02 PM   #2

If the opening isn't wide enough, you could always affix a thinner piece of material to the fence to accommodate it.
03-28-2014, 01:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Looks like it's not even close: Amazon.com: Questions And Answers: What is the maximum width of a window this mount can support?

A superclamp (or knockoff) might do the trick for you, something like Manfrotto Super Clamp with 056 3-D Junior Head 2910 B&H Photo though the clamps themselves are available separately if you have a ballhead that you can attach to the clamp.
03-28-2014, 01:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use a related device by Manfrotto that you attach your own balhead to, it does not open wide enough for your purposes. (Max about 1 CM opening)
Manfrotto 243 Car Window Pod (#3292) 243

You may be better served by a superclamp and put your own ball head on it
Manfrotto 035RL Super Clamp with Standard Stud 035RL B&H Photo

03-28-2014, 03:31 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by monoloco Quote
you could always affix a thinner piece of material to the fence to accommodate it.
Thanks but I don't want to mar the fence in any way. To add something to the fence would have me putting nailing something to the boards. Nope.

Thanks Brian but that's out of my price range.

Larry, thank you. Looks good that thing you posted about, if I can find it on Amazon.
03-28-2014, 03:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have one like Larry's with a Bogen/Manfrotto 308 ball head. The clamp opens to 27/32". Will that be enough?

I would be afraid of using the first one you mentioned. It looks like a disaster waiting to happen.
03-28-2014, 03:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Gorillapod? That can clamp onto a lot of different things.

03-28-2014, 04:03 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
The board is only 5/8" inch thick. I just came back inside from measuring it.

This one looks more like what I need:

Manfrotto 386B Nano Clamp - Supports 8.8 lbs (4kg) 386B B&H

The other one Larry posted about looks like it clamps side ways. The camera would be titled that way and I don't want it titled sideways, or vertically. It only shows one photo and no way to tell exactly how it would look clamped to a vertical board.
03-28-2014, 04:07 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
DeadJohn, There is no way to clamp the Gorrilapod onto the fence board. I don't believe the arms are long enough. The board is 6 inches across and nailed to a slender 1x2 board. Also there isn't enough room for the arms to fit around the board because of the inside board is staggered behind the front board.

Last edited by photolady95; 03-28-2014 at 04:12 PM.
03-28-2014, 04:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
The board is only 5/8" inch thick. I just came back inside from measuring it.

This one looks more like what I need:

Manfrotto 386B Nano Clamp - Supports 8.8 lbs (4kg) 386B B&H

The other one Larry posted about looks like it clamps side ways. The camera would be titled that way and I don't want it titled sideways, or vertically. It only shows one photo and no way to tell exactly how it would look clamped to a vertical board.
Bear in mind that the clamp you linked to above only has female threads and is intended for lighting rigs. You would need to add a male stud (a plain threaded piece) in order to mount a camera or ball head to the clamp. In fact you would be better off with a stud and a knurled 'finger nut' so that you could lock the camera/ball head in the correct position.

EDIT: Looking at the various clamps at B&H it would appear that the 'Nano Clamp' is available with the required stud.

Last edited by Tako Kichi; 03-28-2014 at 05:02 PM.
03-28-2014, 05:39 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I do not believe that the 386B clamp will work for you for two reasons:

1) The area that the clamp is in contact with a flat board is small (only 2 points) leading to instability.

2) More importantly, unless the clamp is almost totally closed, the two flat portions on the top where the stud screws in will not be flat and parallel. That will not allow the bottom of the head to sit flat on the top of the clamp.
03-28-2014, 05:59 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
Bear in mind that the clamp you linked to above only has female threads and is intended for lighting rigs.
That one I linked to provides an extra stud, male one. And I have another that I could use if needed.

QuoteOriginally posted by lmd91343 Quote
I do not believe that the 386B clamp will work for you for two reasons:
1) The area that the clamp is in contact with a flat board is small (only 2 points) leading to instability.
2) More importantly, unless the clamp is almost totally closed, the two flat portions on the top where the stud screws in will not be flat and parallel. That will not allow the bottom of the head to sit flat on the top of the clamp.
I am not sure what you mean on your second point. It shows the top as flat, would that not be the case with this clamp? I really couldn't find any actual dimensions of the object itself. Is it very small?
03-28-2014, 06:08 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Any other suggestions that you all have in mind what I could use? I don't think the clamp Larry linked to would work for me because of what I said in the other post about how it fits the fence. Is there another clamp I could use that doesn't cost almost $100?
03-28-2014, 06:16 PM   #14

Thanks but I don't want to mar the fence in any way. To add something to the fence would have me putting nailing something to the boards. Nope.

Thanks Brian but that's out of my price range.

Larry, thank you. Looks good that thing you posted about, if I can find it on Amazon.
You could attach a small piece of 3/4'" plywood to the fence with a couple of spring clamps or c-clamps then attach the ball head to the plywood. It wouldn't mar the fence at all.
03-28-2014, 06:39 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not sure what you mean on your second point. It shows the top as flat, would that not be the case with this clamp? I really couldn't find any actual dimensions of the object itself. Is it very small?
The two halves of the clamp (one on either side of the hinge) are only in the same plane (flat and parallel) when the clamp is closed. The clamp cannot be closed when there is an object (fence board) between the jaws. A ball head can only sit securely on a flat surface.