Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2015, 03:49 AM   #46
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Hi Adrian,
Just went and read your review - great work - and the photos are spectacular - Lighting is superb as you cannot tell that flash is in use at all.

Great job - Rogue should make you the franchise agent for Australasia - you have done more for the product than any of the retailers stocking the device.

05-30-2015, 04:29 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
... so I needed to adjust technique for the slower shutter speed.
Can you tell us more on the adjusment on your technique ?
1/180 with a 300mm seems a challenge to me unless using a stable tripod ?
05-30-2015, 11:31 AM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
Adrian is probably the best person to advise as he is showing great results with it.
For me I have to use a monopod or else try to hold as steady as possible and hope the SR does its job when shooting it in the 300.

With the external flash w/Beamer and HSS I could afford to be more carefree.
Thing is it's cumbersome to carry around.
The Rogue can just be in a side of the bag for when it is needed.

The only time I really take a tripod now is for adapted Q shooting.
05-30-2015, 05:31 PM - 2 Likes   #49
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Weevil Quote
I am getting great results with the 300, 300 with 1.4x, 150-450, and 500 all hand held. Practice and ensuring that SR is turned on. The biggest issue I find at 1/180th is movement of the subject.

06-25-2015, 02:18 PM - 1 Like   #50
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

with my K-3 + DA* 60-250mm I find that objects 6 meters away work perfectly with the 8mm spacer. However, at 2 meters the 5mm spacer delivers noticeably more "centered" lighting (obviously due to parallax). So if you are like me and hope to use your camera to shoot closeup at 2 meters or less, the 5mm spacer will provide better results. For those looking to capture birds and other critters far away, the 8mm is definitely better. Just one more data point.

Michael
02-04-2016, 08:35 AM   #51
Veteran Member

Sorry for reviving an old thread... But I figured it'd be better to ask here rather than start a new post.
Has anyone had decent results using the Rogue on a K-30 with the DA*300?

I see from the initial post that there is quite a bit of banding and the flash isn't too powerful. I'm mainly looking for a lightweight, easy solution for capturing birds in brush at about 25m with the DA*300 on my K-30.

For $20 this seemed like a viable solution to try out.
If it's not worth it, let me know and I'll look at getting an external flash... Just trying to avoid that extra gear and weight if possible.

Cheers!
02-04-2016, 11:41 PM   #52
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Sorry for reviving an old thread... But I figured it'd be better to ask here rather than start a new post.
Has anyone had decent results using the Rogue on a K-30 with the DA*300?

I see from the initial post that there is quite a bit of banding and the flash isn't too powerful. I'm mainly looking for a lightweight, easy solution for capturing birds in brush at about 25m with the DA*300 on my K-30.

For $20 this seemed like a viable solution to try out.
If it's not worth it, let me know and I'll look at getting an external flash... Just trying to avoid that extra gear and weight if possible.

Cheers!
Hard to tell precisely, but noting that the K5 series and the K3 both work, I would suggest your chances of getting the K30 to work would be rather good. Play around with the distance of the Safari lens from the flash before you glue the adapter in place. 25 metres is probably a bit of a stretch, but 10 metres is easily achievable.

For 25 metres, my gear works with 500mm and rear converter: Metz 58AF-2 flash with Better Beamer FX-3. Chasing birds at 25 metres with a 300mm isn't likely to produce great results unless you are into Pelicans or Eagles - it just isn't long enough.

02-05-2016, 07:20 AM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianM Quote
Hard to tell precisely, but noting that the K5 series and the K3 both work, I would suggest your chances of getting the K30 to work would be rather good. Play around with the distance of the Safari lens from the flash before you glue the adapter in place. 25 metres is probably a bit of a stretch, but 10 metres is easily achievable.

For 25 metres, my gear works with 500mm and rear converter: Metz 58AF-2 flash with Better Beamer FX-3. Chasing birds at 25 metres with a 300mm isn't likely to produce great results unless you are into Pelicans or Eagles - it just isn't long enough.
Right, I guess 25 ft would be a better estimate of distances I'm working with? haha

I'll just have to pick one up and play with it. Worst case scenario it doesn't work out and I just hang onto it until I purchase a K3.

Thanks!
02-05-2016, 08:55 PM - 1 Like   #54
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UserAccessDenied Quote
Right, I guess 25 ft would be a better estimate of distances I'm working with? haha

I'll just have to pick one up and play with it. Worst case scenario it doesn't work out and I just hang onto it until I purchase a K3.

Thanks!
Good luck. I find it great for hiking and birding together. A sample shot of a Magellanic Woodpecker in southern Chile with DA*300 f4 and Pentax 1.4x RC on K-3 with Rogue Safari and in-built flash. Great result in my view! You will have to learn how to remove red/steel eye from birds by darkening the iris in Photoshop.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
02-12-2016, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #55
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
For $20 USD with free shipping I couldn't resist buying the Rogue Safari. It arrived today and I promptly followed all the modification recommendations to fit my K5 hot shoe. I shaved off the bottom spring-fit bump with a utility knife and smoothly filed the rest of the bottom of the 8mm spacer. It now slides on/off with minimal friction. I mounted the Safari as per AdrianM's advice. On-board flash pops up without interference, and few practice pics off a wall looked great. Unfortunately, the weather this weekend doesn't look promising for a true test shooting some birds, but I'll post some pics of my first attempts.

This website and its members are awesome. I learn a lot in my daily visits. Thanks to all.
02-18-2016, 09:25 PM   #56
Forum Member

Thanks to AdrianM I saw the rogue safari in action and was impressed. About to glue the spacer to the base, I assume best method is to just put a drop of superglue on either side of the bit where you slide it though?
02-18-2016, 11:29 PM   #57
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gorillagirl Quote
Thanks to AdrianM I saw the rogue safari in action and was impressed. About to glue the spacer to the base, I assume best method is to just put a drop of superglue on either side of the bit where you slide it though?
G'day Jo - I used a small amount of 5 minute Araldite on the flanges where it slides togther. Super glue should work but might not last as long.
02-18-2016, 11:40 PM   #58
Forum Member

I'm heading to the shop now so I'll get Araldite instead. Thank
03-14-2016, 11:59 AM - 2 Likes   #59
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Finally had a chance to fully try out my Rogue Safari and am very pleased. It works as advertised and is definitely worth the money. Correcting the "steel eye" was quite simple using PSE 9 after doing a bit of research on the internet for correcting steel eye.

Images before and after.

Last edited by zman; 02-03-2017 at 05:27 PM.
07-24-2016, 02:27 AM - 1 Like   #60
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I haven't posted in this thread for a while. This shot of a White-plumed Honeyeater taken with K-3, D-FA 150-450, Pentax 1.4x Rear Converter, in-built flash and Rogue Safari flash extender.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo