Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2016, 09:46 PM - 1 Like   #61
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for the recommendation @AdrianM. I've been delighted with the Rogue Safari on my K-3. Best $A25 I have ever spent on photography.

At first I couldn't see how the 8mm adapter for the Safari could be made to fit in the flash hot shoe without surgery. But no surgery was necessary; careful taps with the back of a heavy cook's knife did the job. (A small hammer, used with care, might be better.) But Rogue says that that is how it is supposed to be, and the plastic can withstand some force. The plastic compresses after mounting and unmounting half a dozen times or so. Now it fits snugly, but can be removed and inserted without trouble.

Here are some samples taken with the DA-L 55-300. Flash is a great bonus for a slow-ish lens like this, especially as it allows for shooting at f8 where the lens is sharpest. After some experimenting, I use M mode or (better still) X mode, and try to set the aperture and ISO so that the background is no more than about one or two stops under-exposed. I generally dial flash exposure compensation in the camera to somewhere between -1EV and -2EV, although if the subject is more than about 10m away 0EV to +1EV is often needed.

Grey Fantail:

Bassian Thrush (skulks in undergrowth, so light is always a problem):

Brown Thornbill (tiny, fast-moving bird; the flash helps freeze motion):

Bush rat (a native species):

Little Wattlebird:

Grey Shrike-Thrush (which is neither shrike nor thrush, but a type of whistler, and a superb songster):

Last edited by Des; 11-22-2016 at 09:13 PM.
08-17-2016, 01:09 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Thanks for the recommendation @AdrianM. I've been delighted with the Rogue Safari on my K-3. Best $A25 I have ever spent on photography.
Great birds, Des. That is the value of this kit in being able to easily carry it and hunt wildlife in dark places.
08-17-2016, 02:23 AM   #63
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianM Quote
Great birds, Des. That is the value of this kit in being able to easily carry it and hunt wildlife in dark places.
Thanks Adrian. Without the flash extender, some of those shots (e.g. the Bassian Thrush and bush rat) would have required something like f5.8, 1/60th second and 3200 ISO - settings which would have yielded poor results (smeary, poor contrast, poor colours, lack of resolution).

I think the other value of the flash extender is that it lets you get away with a slow-ish lens like the 55-300 - and indeed use it at f8 where its performance is quite acceptable - for a light-weight, compact, cheap and surprisingly effective kit. I'd seriously consider that for hiking/travel, when lugging either my 300 or 400mm prime doesn't appeal.
11-22-2016, 04:32 PM   #64
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Great thread guys - thanks for all the interesting input and tips to get the best setup for the Safari. I have a K3, the 300F4, 1.4x and the 540 flash. I often use the 540 flash on the K3 for fill when shooting birds in bushes etc where the light can be poor. Can any of you with this, or similar, equipment give an opinion on the flash capability of the K3 with the Safari vs 540 (no extender)? Does the 540 do a better job than the pop-up with the safari or does Safari come close to the same flash performance? Thanks in advance.

11-22-2016, 09:09 PM   #65
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I can't answer the question directly. I have a Metz 58, which is similar in power to the 540. I haven't compared the Metz with the popup/Rogue, but I'd say it depends on how far away the subject is, and whether you are using the speedlite flash in HSS mode. What I'd say is that the popup and Rogue combination gives quite sufficient light for fill, even in lowish light, up to about 15m. As an experiment I took a shot of a wallaby at about 40m with the popup/Rogue; I got plenty of eyeshine, but little or no illumination of the fur! I suspect that (even without putting a flash extender on it) the Metz would be capable of providing more light at that kind of distance, except at a higher speed in HSS mode (where there is a big falloff of output).

The beauty of the Rogue is its convenience and light weight - not to mention having the beam directed only where you need it. It's just a great plus not having another half-kilo flash perched on top of the camera. Honestly for $25 there's no reason not to at least try one.

Last edited by Des; 11-23-2016 at 03:21 PM.
11-23-2016, 07:42 AM - 1 Like   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RedBoomer Quote
Great thread guys - thanks for all the interesting input and tips to get the best setup for the Safari. I have a K3, the 300F4, 1.4x and the 540 flash. I often use the 540 flash on the K3 for fill when shooting birds in bushes etc where the light can be poor. Can any of you with this, or similar, equipment give an opinion on the flash capability of the K3 with the Safari vs 540 (no extender)? Does the 540 do a better job than the pop-up with the safari or does Safari come close to the same flash performance? Thanks in advance.
The value in the Rogue Safari is:
- the ability to project the relatively small power of the in-camera flash over a long distance
- the light weight compared to an external flash so really great for hiking
- quite robust and unobtrusive

The only disadvantage I can identify is the fixed flash speed of 1/180th on the K3, so sometimes that isn't fast enough to freeze motion. The external flashes have a HSS mod3e that overcomes this limitation.

If ypou want the same long lens effect with an extrernal flash, I suggest you try the Magmod flassh extender. Have a look in the reviews (I have posted a review) as I use thisa on my K1 with external flash.