Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 33 Likes Search this Thread
05-25-2015, 04:37 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
With this lens I expect to be using the 300 end mostly so I will be interested to see what it can do. Also I do a weekly stint under lights on a football oval so it will be interesting how it goes under those conditions - without dazzling the players.

05-25-2015, 04:42 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Adrian and Larry, many thanks for this all.
Found one in a local webshop for €30, I`ll think I order one and see what results it produces (after modifying). 2b continued.
05-25-2015, 04:56 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Adrian and Larry, many thanks for this all.
Found one in a local webshop for €30, I`ll think I order one and see what results it produces (after modifying). 2b continued.
I hope you can find one cheaper than that - they are close to half that price in Australia.

---------- Post added 25-05-15 at 21:58 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
With this lens I expect to be using the 300 end mostly so I will be interested to see what it can do. Also I do a weekly stint under lights on a football oval so it will be interesting how it goes under those conditions - without dazzling the players.
G'day Arjay - a problem will be the short shutter time delay when using the flash, so chances are your focus will be out using it for action shots. Not sure what camera you are using but just upping the ISO is probably your best bet on a night football field.
05-25-2015, 05:12 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianM Quote
I hope you can find one cheaper than that - they are close to half that price in Australia.
Lol, it was allready €10,- cheaper then the other one I found

Small question:
Which spacers are in the package? Cause first you mention 10mm and later on Larry mentions 4 and 8mm?

05-25-2015, 05:21 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TenZ.NL Quote
Lol, it was allready €10,- cheaper then the other one I found

Small question:
Which spacers are in the package? Cause first you mention 10mm and later on Larry mentions 4 and 8mm?
4mm and 8mm
05-25-2015, 05:52 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Following
05-25-2015, 09:09 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianM Quote
4mm and 8mm
Thanks

05-25-2015, 10:59 AM   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
One important point is that since you are using the on board flash you are constrained to the same limitations, most significantly 1/180 max shutter speed.

Keep in mind for your intended use. I like to use HSS for wildlife with external flash, so I needed to adjust technique for the slower shutter speed.
05-25-2015, 11:32 AM - 1 Like   #39

Based on the thread title, I sas thinking of some malware using Adobe Flash and targeting Mac computers being discussed..

I guess it makes me more an IT person than photography person.
05-25-2015, 02:58 PM   #40
Pentaxian

HI Adrian thanks for your tips and suggestions.

I am using the K3 and that shutter delay is a PITA. Forgot about that. Will have a play later in the week.

I have been using high ISO and some NR. The League ground has 4 x 20m light poles around placed at each end of the 25 m line, with three large halogens on each pole fanned out to cover the ground leaving bright spots and darker patches particularly in the corners where the tries are often scored.

TAV mode is good and I have found that an old 75-250 Vivitar (Komine) manual focus push pull type lens is a great lens for the job as I can track the flow of play manually better than the auto focus 50-200. Especially when the player is coming down the wing almost directly towards me. Wide open it is a 3.5 which is marginally faster than the auto focus lenses as well. Provided the image is not blown up too big for viewing the result is reasonable.

Anyway just will have a play and see if I can get some better shots with a lower ISO even if it is just for the set plays such as the restarts and scrums and so on. How easy is it to get your finger in under the attachment point to lower the flash when you don't want flash to fire?
05-26-2015, 11:45 PM   #41
Pentaxian

Just picked up the last copy in Teds Brisbane City store. Salesman hadn't heard of it so I had to find it for myself. Then register person tried to charge full price.. Sheesh. Not a single piece of Pentax equipment in the store... Except a MEF on the bench next to the register with an M50 mounted.
To their credit Teds still develops C41 film and has Ilford C41 B&w film.
Brought the device back to hotel room (business trip) and made the mods described above.
All good bit huge vignetting on the 21 & 40 mm pancakes I'm travelling with. Amazing the brightness that the Fresnel lens produces however.
Again thankyou for the heads up on this one Adrian.
05-28-2015, 12:16 AM - 1 Like   #42
Veteran Member

Got one at Teds today in SA Marion Store....$25...mostly to use with my F*300 4.5

by Noel Leahy, on Flickr

Last edited by noelpolar; 05-29-2015 at 12:36 AM.
05-28-2015, 01:18 AM - 1 Like   #43
Pentaxian

Somewhat off topic but I realised later in the evening that I missed an opportunity
I should have taken out the K3 I was carrying, swapped out the lens with the 'vintage' m50 on the counter and showed all the sales staff the shake reduced backwards compatibility. Especially as I had its m40 pancake cousin in my bag. Opportunity missed.
05-30-2015, 12:42 AM - 1 Like   #44
Veteran Member

Adrian thanks for bringing this to our attention, purchased one this week and tried it out with the Sigma 50-150 with excellent results @ 150 end, also allows to shut down aperture more when using the flash and still get excellent detail. Used as fill in flash on some flowers with excellent results.

Will try on my longer lens.

Kevin
05-30-2015, 01:50 AM - 1 Like   #45
Pentaxian

Original Poster
All - I have now placed a detailed review in the Accessories section of the site at this link

Rogue Safari reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

It includes the 'how to' for Pentax

Enjoy - mine has certainly become an essential part of my kit.